Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to dublin

Options
  • 19-05-2008 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭

Im moving from galway to dublin in a few weeks to look for the first job out of college. where are they good areas to live that dont cost a small fortune near the financial district and how much do you think is a good figure to have in the bank ac before hitting the big smoke. like to go out a have a few scoops and a bit of craic so not talking about reliving the student days.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Im moving from galway to dublin in a few weeks to look for the first job out of college. where are they good areas to live that dont cost a small fortune near the financial district and how much do you think is a good figure to have in the bank ac before hitting the big smoke. like to go out a have a few scoops and a bit of craic so not talking about reliving the student days.

Live in constant fear my country friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Unaton

IFSC itself is a good area to live in. Me and my bf were just looking at a few places in IFSC and Spencer Dock but decided to go for Ballsbridge instead. Try Hanover Quay, lovely 1 bedroom apartments there. The area around Stephen's Green would be handy too.

Good luck in the new job! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

What’s your budget?
    Are you looking for a flat for yourself or to share with others?

It all very well recommending the IFSC or Ballsbridge but you might not have the budget for it

Word to the wise.
    If some gurrier asks you for a euro for the bus don’t give it. These Dubs love nothing more than robbing naive culchies! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Dublins full!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Verbal_Kint

your all very welcoming. we are not all gullible farmers outside of the pale. sharing a house with others. what would be the average rent in IFSC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

Check out daft.ie and myhome.ie, it's the best & quickest way to see what the rents are like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Verbal_Kint

was up in dublin for a few days last week in a while and oconnell st and down to the bus station is a sewer. where do the few non gurrier dubs recommend as the good spots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Drumcondra

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

have recently moved up to mount argus in harolds cross for the summer. really like it, really nice spot. lived in windy arbor last year, just outside dundrum and that was alright too but i'd recommend harold's cross first

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Harolds X, Rathmines, Ranelagh are nice areas in D6 while also being close to the city centre.

Depends on what you want, and if you're willing to share.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

zAbbo wrote: »
    Harolds X, Rathmines, Ranelagh are nice areas in D6 while also being close to the city centre.

And you'll feel right at home in all three.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

If you are working in the docklands, Clontarf and Fairview would be very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Lila

I'd second jdivision. Anywhere around Fairview, Killester, Clontarf areas would be handy. Good bus and dart links to Connolly and the IFSC. That's if you want to be a little bit out of town of course. There are loads of apartments in the IFSC itself or in the East Wall or Irishtown that would be within walking distance. Overal, I would recommend staying on the north side if you're working north side as the traffic getting across town can add to your commute time.

Daft.ie is probably the best starting point for finding a place and getting an idea of prices. Keep in mind you'll probably need 2 months rent upfront. No change from Galway there if I remember my college days there correctly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Good luck.

The more the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Best of luck with the move and I hope you get the job you want.

I have haven't rented in years in Dublin, so I can only give you an idea of where you might want to live. There are lots of apartments in the IFSC, pretty pricey though I'd say. The surrounding areas are East Wall, Fairview (Northside) Ringsend and Pearse st. area (Southside) These are working class areas with a good few rentals and new developments. All within walking distance to town.

If you want somewhere a bit quieter there is lots of apartments available in Clontarf, Killester and Raheny. These Clontarf being closest to town, Raheny being farthest (better public transport though)

Advertisement