Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

well if the government wont..

Options
  • 19-05-2008 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Right, did anyone elses predictions come true when they opened the 3 lanes on the M50? Yup, nobody uses the left lane. I think I'm going to erect a few "Keep left unless overtaking" signs. Wonder would it be illegal or would they keep them up? :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Shhhh, dont tell them and keep it as your own "private" lane. Thats what I do and skip alllllllllllll the traffic :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I'll hold the ladder for ya cormie.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

antodeco wrote: »
    Shhhh, dont tell them and keep it as your own "private" lane. Thats what I do and skip alllllllllllll the traffic :pac:

I presume you know that's both dangerous and illegal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

You see in an ordinary sane country the police force would go after people for this sort of carry on, but you see here in Ireland we have to "fight" the "evil" speeders who are the current scapegoat for the fact that only a small minority of Irish drivers are competent:rolleyes:.

Could someone bring back the old rolleyes too while we're at it:D?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I wonder would you be done for littering if you were caught putting them up, or if they could trace it back to you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Heres a question for yawl...

If I join the M50 using a sliproad and progress my speed to the required limit joining the left lane, yet cars in the middle/rightlane are travelling at a lower speed, do I have to move into the right lane and hope that they move over?

Judging by the rules of the road this maybe the only option......

Heres a question for yawl...

If I join the M50 using a sliproad and progress my speed to the required limit joining the left lane, yet cars in the middle/rightlane are travelling at a lower speed, do I have to move into the right lane and hope that they move over?

Judging by the rules of the road this maybe the only option......

you progress to the speed of the inside lane, (which should be going slower than the middle lane...) merge, then if you want to go faster than them, move to the middle lane, and so on. this is presuming that people could understand the (fooking simple) system.

I asked this before but just to double check, if you're in the lane on the left below which is separated from the others with more frequent and smaller broken lines for, the lanes being for the next turn off, is it legal to undertake in these because they are separated from the main road? I think the consensus the last time I asked was it is ok.

| : ' ' '
    | :
    | :
    | :
    | :

I wouldn't undertake when exiting, just incase the person on the inside lane (to my right, and in front of me) cuts in at the last minute.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    you progress to the speed of the inside lane, (which should be going slower than the middle lane...) merge, then if you want to go faster than them, move to the middle lane, and so on. this is presuming that people could understand the (fooking simple) system.

What if idiots are hogging the far right lane at a slower speed than the middle lane?

• Advertisement

cormie wrote: »
    I asked this before but just to double check, if you're in the lane on the left below which is separated from the others with more frequent and smaller broken lines for, the lanes being for the next turn off, is it legal to undertake in these because they are separated from the main road? I think the consensus the last time I asked was it is ok.

| :
    | :
    | :
    | :

My understanding is that you can undertake cars while driving in the buslane, well cars that are in the normal lane anyway. Taxis and buses do it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

E92 wrote: »
    Could someone bring back the old rolleyes too while we're at it:D?
    yes please....rolleyes.gif
    If you're in the lane on the left below which is separated from the others with more frequent and smaller broken lines for, the lanes being for the next turn off, is it legal to undertake in these because they are separated from the main road? I think the consensus the last time I asked was it is ok.
    Legally, if you intend to turn left and have indicated so then you can undertake them in a lane that is reserved for turning left (i.e. a slip).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭*Dallas

i really hate people that hog the far right lanes.
    its a bit frustrating sitting behind them, im not going to flash or beep someone so my other option is to use the left hand lane :(

i agree with jeremy clarke, their should be snipers stationed on bridges above the motorways, ready to take out anyone that don't behave themselves! :D

*Dallas wrote: »

i agree with jeremy clarke, their should be snipers stationed on bridges above the motorways, ready to take out anyone that don't behave themselves! :D
    I think it was Jaremy Clarke's son that said that :p

I have no problem flashing my lights at people hogging the outide lane, On the continent if you're stupid enough to do it to some German, he'll come up behind you at 140mph flashing his lights!

My understanding is that you can undertake cars while driving in the buslane, well cars that are in the normal lane anyway. Taxis and buses do it.

A bus lane is different though, it's a continuous line and thicker, the thickness setting it aside from a normal continuous line, what way exactly I'm not sure but I think there's some differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

They should just formally allow undertaking on the left lane of a three lane motorway.

They should just formally allow undertaking on the left lane of a three lane motorway.

Why? because people won't drive properly? you might as well allow people to use whatever lane they want coming into a roundabout while you're at it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Is there publicly viewable safety camera footage of this section available anywhere ...would be a laugh to link to it :D

We could write to aunty Gaybo and make him "do something about it" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

excellent thread, it was deffo gonna happen. I have private lane no cars only me. Drive the m6 across the uk and watch 3 lane harmony in action it's like a ballet. totally predictable drivers watching ahead and moving lanes to help everyone.
    Undertaking on a two lane carriageway does feel a little dangerous, however it feels totally safe on a 3 way as the guy doesn't even seem to know the lane is there. Excellent topic op.

off topic but just watching tv what has (poncy)airfield equipment got to do with Cadburys Dairy Milk ????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

A bus lane is different though, it's a continuous line and thicker, the thickness setting it aside from a normal continuous line, what way exactly I'm not sure but I think there's some differences.

It is hatched differently from a "normal" lane
    more
    - - - - -
    than
    __ __ __

It is refered ta as an auxiliary lane.

• Advertisement

jd wrote: »
    It is hatched differently from a "normal" lane
    more
    - - - - -
    than
    __ __ __

It is refered ta as an auxiliary lane.

Are you referring to a bus lane, or the slip lane to take the next exit? The bus lane is usually a thick continuous line unless there is a left turn ahead in which the bus lane ends and the thick line then hatches like you said above, but if there's no left turn ahead, it'll be a continuous thick line, I think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭sk8board

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I presume you know that [under-taking is] both dangerous and illegal?

Heres the cutting from the RSA rules of the road web-site:

"Overtake only on the right, unless traffic is travelling in slow moving queues and the traffic queue on your right is travelling more slowly than you are. If you intend to move from a slower lane to a faster lane, adjust your speed first."

its perfectly legal, as long are you are being responsible of course.

see sk8board, as has been discussed here numerous times, there is no definition of what "slow" is, but when there's 2 cars in the middle lane, 5 furthest to the right and none in the left all doing 80kmph in a 100 zone, it's not ok as they are not queuing. The queuing on refers to stop start traffic as far as most people here and I know, but there is nothing to define this unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

I wonder would you be done for littering if you were caught putting them up, or if they could trace it back to you :)
    If you were caught they would just take them off you. Once you don't put your name and address on them they can't trace you ;)

If you were caught they would just take them off you. Once you don't put your name and address on them they can't trace you ;)

Well I was thinking of having something similar on them that WOULD be traceable :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Are you referring to a bus lane, or the slip lane to take the next exit? The bus lane is usually a thick continuous line unless there is a left turn ahead in which the bus lane ends and the thick line then hatches like you said above, but if there's no left turn ahead, it'll be a continuous thick line, I think :)
    Sorry- I think I quoted the wro9ng post. I am referring to the leftmost section of motorway on the widened section of the M50 near the M7 junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭sk8board

see sk8board, as has been discussed here numerous times, there is no definition of what "slow" is, but when there's 2 cars in the middle lane, 5 furthest to the right and none in the left all doing 80kmph in a 100 zone, it's not ok as they are not queuing. The queuing on refers to stop start traffic as far as most people here and I know, but there is nothing to define this unfortunately.

I understand. I only noticed it when we all got a copy of the new Rules last year. I can see the legal arguement now when in court. Define 'slow' Your-Honour?
    I've always wanted to do what we used to do in Rome, drive our battered Lancia estate on the bumper of the slow driver (he could have being doing 100 mph) in the over-taking lane and keep you indicator on until they get the message. It was stupid of course, but speed is just a number to them. Unfortunately I was raised better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I think this is a great idea except we'd end up with a stack of idiots going off the M50 at the wrong point because they kept too far left !

I stood on the flyover in Castleknock the other night and watched the traffic for a few mins, the amount of cars that almost went up the off ramp by mistake when they meant to travel straight and had to take evasive was unreal - I mean come on - did you get your drivers license in remedial class ?

In NZ - they have signs up "keep left unless overtaking" with cameras to get lads not behaving correctly - perhaps if we convince the powers that be there is a revenue (safety) angle to it they might do like wise ?

And for another thing flashing idiots in the outside lane who are holding you up is PERFECTLY OK provided there is nobody to theri left that is !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

jd wrote: »
    Sorry- I think I quoted the wro9ng post. I am referring to the leftmost section of motorway on the widened section of the M50 near the M7 junction.

You are referring to the Auxillary lanes between the junctions on the M50 for traffic leaving at the next junction? I too would love to know the rules for these lanes as strictly you are meant to stay in them until you leave the motorway at the next junction, and I assume that you should be able to travel at 100Km/h in these lanes even if traffic in the normal lanes are travelling slower. Although I think you are not meant to overtake on them by going back and forth between them. Anybody know the exact rules covering these?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

RobAMerc wrote: »
    And for another thing flashing idiots in the outside lane who are holding you up is PERFECTLY OK provided there is nobody to theri left that is !

unfortunately you can get idiots in the right lane that are just keeping side by side with the car they were originally overtaking but "didnt quite make it" :mad:

the levels of stupidity on the roads never cease to amaze me really :rolleyes: but these clowns take the cake.

Advertisement