Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to postpone paying VRT until july?

Options
  • 19-05-2008 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I know I have read it somewhere here before but I cant find it in search. If I buy a car now in Ireland that has not yet been registered as an Irish car(Still on yellow reg) Can I keep it at home and not drive it, then in July register it when new VRT rates come in without running the risk of the gardai or whoever taking the car on me?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

once you keep it parked in your driveway i think your ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

The best option is to keep it garaged and out of sight and off the road. Then, declare when the dust settles in july.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

Thanks for replies lads, will they postdate it when I go to register it? ie ask me when I bought it and look for documentation stating the fact?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

tw0nk wrote: »
    Thanks for replies lads, will they postdate it when I go to register it? ie ask me when I bought it and look for documentation stating the fact?

It won't matter - as far as they know you could have bought it and kept it in the UK until July

Ah right, I see says the blind man, thanks for that lads, found a nice car Im interested in but would like to keep it til VRT changes on July 1st.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Ah right, I see says the blind man, thanks for that lads, found a nice car Im interested in but would like to keep it til VRT changes on July 1st.

don't let any of your neighbours know it, because all it takes is for one nosy neighbour to ring the Customs, any they'll be over to your house to get their hands on your hard earned cash!

BTW, the offical party line is: you must register your vehicle 24 hours after importing it, no exceptions.

I sometimes wonder why the revenue dont ask for your ferry ticket with date of sail printed on it as proof?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Mc-BigE wrote: »

I sometimes wonder why the revenue dont ask for your ferry ticket with date of sail printed on it as proof?

They have in the past......It can depend on the person you get down the VRT office and the mood they are in on the day in my experience.

Sorry guys, one more question, when I actually buy the car, can I drive it down to my house (get temporary insurance from my insurance company) and if I get stopped by gardai can I just tell them i bought it and am gonna register it tomorrow (but really keep it for a month) or would I have to transport it down?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭conor_mc

The rules say you must VRT the car by the end of the following business day after you import it. It doesn't matter whether you drive it, transport it, park it in your driveway or hide it in your garage - the VRT is due the day after the car enters the state.

No point glossing over that. Transporting it in and parking it in a garage may mean you've a better chance of dodging paying VRT until July, but it won't be any defence if you're caught I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Make sure that the rate in July is actually better than the rate now to register it.

• Advertisement

conor_mc wrote: »
    The rules say you must VRT the car by the end of the following business day after you import it. It doesn't matter whether you drive it, transport it, park it in your driveway or hide it in your garage - the VRT is due the day after the car enters the state.

No point glossing over that. Transporting it in and parking it in a garage may mean you've a better chance of dodging paying VRT until July, but it won't be any defence if you're caught I'm afraid.

you're perfectly entitled to bring your car in via trailer and put it in your garden provided it's not driven on public roads.

VRT is a tax on number plates to allow you to drive on public roads - it is not an import tax. If you want a car to sit in your driveway there's no reason you should pay VRT. Your car doesn't need number plates to be used on private property

This has all been discussed in a previous thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055295163

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

you're perfectly entitled to bring your car in via trailer and put it in your garden provided it's not driven on public roads.

I don't think so, read my reply here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55982074&postcount=32

Maybe we should close this thread and continue the discussion on the other thread?

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    Make sure that the rate in July is actually better than the rate now to register it.

It should be, its a Honda Accord 2.2 i-CDTI, I dont think you can get quotes on new system yet anyways...

stevec wrote: »

Steve C, you may be correct on the absolute letter of the law, but in practice would the gardai or customs or whoever really just take the car off the back of my trailer or just take it off me if I was driving home just after buying it?

There are literally 1000's of laws that are never carried out to the letter of the law and in fairness to the gardai, they do in more cases than not give a little lee-way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Steve C, you may be correct on the absolute letter of the law, but in practice would the gardai or customs or whoever really just take the car off the back of my trailer or just take it off me if I was driving home just after buying it?

There are literally 1000's of laws that are never carried out to the letter of the law and in fairness to the gardai, they do in more cases than not give a little lee-way.

It appears that the guards are starting to crack down on it - read the recent 'ballymun checkpoint' thread for example.

My reply in the other thread was to the question 'can they take the car', answer is yes.

I agree with you though, and it's one of my pet hates - they keep bringing in new laws to cripple us when all they have to do is enforce some of the exisiting ones to make a difference.

You're not under any illusion of what the actual law says now, so you pays yer money and takes yer chances with full knowledge of the risk you're taking - I'd hate to see someone trailering their car over in good faith yet still ending up losing their new motor!!!

I wouldn't chance it myself - there'll be other cars come July/August.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Mc-BigE wrote: »

They do in Navan and Santry

• Registered Users Posts: 65,430 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

conor_mc wrote: »

QFT.

The only legal way around it afaik is to buy the car, leave it in the North (I presume you stating buying in Ireland meant buying in Northern Ireland, it being a different country?) and not physically import it (and register it) until after July, 1st

Mylow wrote: »
    They do in Navan and Santry

I wasn't asked on Monday in Tallaght if that's any use - also wasn't asked there last Feb when I brought in my previous car.

• Advertisement

After reading all the replies here and especially the replies quoting the letter of the law and the ability to confiscate the car I have decided to wait til after July to buy the car, I know I might have to wait longer then as there will be a huge rush (im guessing), but I feel like its the safer thing to do, and I would hate to be the one who gets caught and my hard earned money is towed away.

After reading all the replies here and especially the replies quoting the letter of the law and the ability to confiscate the car I have decided to wait til after July to buy the car, I know I might have to wait longer then as there will be a huge rush (im guessing), but I feel like its the safer thing to do, and I would hate to be the one who gets caught and my hard earned money is towed away.

Good call tw0nk, fore-warned is fore-armed! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

Don't mind the scare mongering rubbish here.

If you have found a car you like at a price you like now, then go over and get it. Park it up for a few weeks and then register it in July. There'll be no fear of you.

with all the people going over from 1st of july, ide nearly expect to be stopped by a garda rather than policeman ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

BnA wrote: »
    Don't mind the scare mongering rubbish here.

If you have found a car you like at a price you like now, then go over and get it. Park it up for a few weeks and then register it in July. There'll be no fear of you.

Soundest advice on here. Park her up on the drive and you'll be grand.

I wonder why the VRT office advised me that I didnt need to register or VRT my car because it was going to be used for track use only and not driven on the road???

cpoh1 wrote: »
    I wonder why the VRT office advised me that I didnt need to register or VRT my car because it was going to be used for track use only and not driven on the road???

It's exempt.

If you wanted to use it on the road or sell it then you'd have to VRT it.
    ( b ) brought into the State solely for the purpose of a competition, exhibition, show, demonstration, or similar purpose and is not intended to be sold or offered for sale in the State and is intended to be taken out of the State on the fulfilment of such purpose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

stevec wrote: »
    It's exempt.

If you wanted to use it on the road or sell it then you'd have to VRT it.

So the OP can keep his car in his drive and not have to VRT it once he removes the plates and tells the customs people that he is not registering it for normal public use. The onus is then on customs to prove that he does intend to use it which lets be honest they wont be arsed.

In reality none of this matters, most people I know drive around in their uk registered cars for at least 1-2 months before getting them VRT'd and have no problems with the local police once theyre not completely pulling the piss time wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

i agree,go get your car. many people are already bringing in diesels big time IMHO(I bought mine in December!), so you're right about a rush in July when the hordes descend on the UK. Nice choice of car BTW. Even a bollox of a neighbour wouldn't ring customs for about a month or two, and its not like they'd jump in the chopper and come out to tow it that day if he did. If you plan on driving it around in the interim just stick to motorways lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

You don't need a ferry ticket if you bought off a dealer in the north.....

......so you bought it off a guy in the North then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

What is the story if you purchase a car in England, and it is brought over for you, but not personally by you.

Say this happens on a tuesday, and you get the car on the thursday.

Is the VRT due then on the Wednesday, or the Friday??

Advertisement