Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THis game...any good?

Options
  • 19-05-2008 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭

I know theres a couple of other "is this any good" threads but just outta interest...

I normally play WWII shoot em ups or stratagy games but RPGs do have a huge appeal to me. Especially as this is based on Lord Of The Rings.

IS this game worth getting? Most posts here compare it with World of Warcraft but my closest experience with WOW was the South park episode (Mom!Mom!Bathroom!), so I'd really appreciate a good account to a non-MMORPG person. I did play Everquest:Ruins of Kunark back in 2001, but I never really got into it as it basically cut into my life too much and I forget most of the game.

Is it good as regards to LOTR? I'm a fair fan of the books so if it had stuff like Tom Bombadil I'd be very happy.

Would you reccomend it to someone with little experience of MMORPGs?

Any feedback welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Its a pretty good mmorpgs in my view.

Certainly if you're a fan of the books it has a certain appeal since you can go visit all your favourite spots which have been reproduced.
    I myself enjoyed the PvP side of it more than the PvE, but that said in a group the PvE is pretty good. I'm sure lister will hold your hand if you try it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

Yep, definitely worth a go especially if you are into the Books/Films.

Let me know if you decide to as I'll throw you an invite into the Kinship that we are in(Snowbourne Server).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Try it on on the 14 day trial (www.trylotro.com) and see.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Yeah its good,im not up to speed on the Lore so it didnt actually feel like LOTR to me at all but my very limited lore knowledge is solely from the movies.
    I find the actual world feels totally deserted compared to wow which is a shame and the fact wows world is enormous by comparison makes it even worse.
    Its a good solid MMO but there are a lot better out there in my opinion.
    Most people ive spoken to that enjoy it seem to be into the lore.
    Definitely try the trial.

Age of conan is gonna own them all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

Dcully wrote: »
    I find the actual world feels totally deserted compared to wow which is a shame and the fact wows world is enormous by comparison makes it even worse.
    .....Age of conan is gonna own them all :)

Yeah, I suppose the game has been out a while now so when leveling up you wont meet as many people to help out with group quests. Most players are members of kinships and use the help of the kin to get them up to lvl 50 rather then putting in the hours by soloing it themselves.

The fun of the game really begins at lvl 50 when participating in groups quests with kin. As I said though if you are thinking of giving the game a go let me know and I'll throw you an invite into the kin I'm in. Still be prepared to put in a good bit of time to level up though...

Cully/Hellfire, You guys playing AOC yet? What do you think of the game? Lotro being put in the background for a while I suppose...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Not playing yet Lister,release day is tomorrow.
    Hellfire is playing it now via early access.
    By all accounts the game seems to be a big hit with early access guys according to forums ive visited.

I still pop in and out of wow and lotro while waiting for release day :)

Advertisement