Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manners anyone?

Options
  • 19-05-2008 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭

Ok, let me start this post by saying that I've been a member of boards since 2002. I'm now a full subscriber and I love boards, I really do. But over the years one thing has always bugged me. Mods.... they are so impolite!
    Seriously... stop laughing....
    There are maybe 2 times I've been instructed to do something by a mod where I didn't think "How rude"
    I'm sure being a mod can be stressful and you have to deal with hot heads or whatever, but surely some manors wouldn't hurt. If you need to ask someone to move a post or if someone is posting something that is inappropriate, surely you have a way of determining if they're pis*takers or if they're making a genuine mistake? And shouldn't you then respond accordingly.
    Would you mind... I'm not sure if you realised.... thanks... please... these are phrases that should be used more regularly.

I really don't want to sound like I'm getting at all mods or anything,I do understand that a job has to be done and I'm sure in the majority of cases it could just a time saver issue, but there are some cases where I've actually felt insulted.
    I've always held back on saying this for fear of a big fight or being banned or something. But it's just got to the stage now where I and some other boardians (who shall remain user-nameless) are fed up with being at the blunt end of a rude pm/post when a mistake is made.

Anyway, I do hope that this feedback will be received with the intension's in which is was sent and that it is just that, feeback.

Kind regards,

VV
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Links to back this up please.

Nice generalisation about ALL mods btw.

That's a sure fire way to make progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's been discussed before and it is indeed true, some mods can be quite rude.
    I can only assume that they have seen the issue at hand many times before and are rolling their eyes as they click the lock button.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I haven't had the opportunity to be rude to anyone as a mod yet so am highly insulted by your generalistion.

But when that opportunity arises.......

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Mods don't have any mansions, chateaux, villas or condos either.

Pedantry aside, links?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

personally

if i was a mod and i saw this thread i'd just ignore him and go on with my life

it aint worth the hassle dealing with this kind of folk

expecting everything and anything to be polite and anal with all and anyways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I think all the mods should be given manors.

DittonManor.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Ok Mods, roll out! Lets each ask the OP, one at a time, where you personally have been impolite.

Velvet, when have I ever been impolite?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I think all the mods should be given manors.

Even HMods? Chalets maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

You can say the same about posters in general, or even people in general. Some are nice, some aren't. But that's life. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

javaboy wrote: »
    Even HMods? Chalets maybe.

Portacabins. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

e53caf4164c5a92628a49bfbaacf8227.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

AdareManor.jpg

I'd love one, assuming it was self sufficent.

The things is that mods should not have to tell posters to behave as they should be posting with in the remit of the charter and the site rules and ergo they should not need a warning and the fact they do can be irksome to mods.

No if you have a specific complain then I suggest that you link if possible or if offending communication is via pm consider starting a help desk thread and get an smod to review your pms.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Its true, some mods can appear very rude when they need to put their "mod hats" on. Some mods let the power get to their heads, puff their chests out and act all hoity toity.

Its a big generalisation though, I've seen many mods who are utter ladies/gents when locking a thread or steering a thread back on topic or whatever. Bear in mind that being firm or cutting to the chase (often necessary) can also be mistaken for rudeness.

Does this mean we get to have the Little Hitler avatars again? I love that little guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Sometimes I dont even need my mod hat on to be impolite...

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭RuailleBuaille

OP I fully agree with you about at leat ONE mod, I pm'd her recently with a query to which I got a four word reply which was as plain as day already. When I pm'd back clarifying my question and asking for clarification from her, she blanked me completely. She generally comes across as a very unfriendly but I was really surprised by the unneccessary rudeness. Who else do you go to for help if not the mod of the forum in question? Childish, ridiculous behaviour, some mods are so cliquey it feels like I'm back in school all over again.
    [insert preferred rolleyes here]
    To be fair though, there are only TWO mods I've come across that behave this way, the rest (in the forums I frequent anyway) aren't a bad lot.
    Just my dha phingin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

If those bastid registered users have some manners then mods wouldn't have to be impolite. Driving us to mental health clinics daily. :mad:

I haven't had to be impolite to many users but have received some guff from users from threads I may have locked or deleted, etc. Different mods deal with things different ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

Well there's a surprise... p*ss takers on spelling. Good pics though! :)

Seriously I am sorry about the genralising, of course I didn't mean that ALL mods are rude or have been rude to me in the past. What I will say is though that since I've been a member I have had several times where I either posted something in the wrong place or posted up something that wasn't supposed to be discussed on boards, or whatever... made a mistake and just a gruff or rude response from a mod. Now I'm not going to go trough old posts and old pm's for details and the most recent one that prompted me to post up isn't worth getting into a row about. My point for posting up was not start a he said, she said argument but to point out that this has been my experience and hope that others who may have experienced this too would speak out and that maybe mods... not all, but some.... who may have been a bit rude in the past would think about the way they address people. Thats all. I'm really not trying to start a whole big deal.
    But to be honest... I'm unsurprised by the replies I've gotten so far!

Name and shame tbh

OP I fully agree with you about at leat ONE mod, I pm'd her recently with a query to which I got a four word reply which was as plain as day already. When I pm'd back clarifying my question and asking for clarification from her, she blanked me completely. She generally comes across as an ignorant b*tch but I was really surprised by the unneccessary rudeness. Who else do you go to for help if not the mod of the forum in question? Childish, ridiculous behaviour, some mods are so cliquey it feels like I'm back in school all over again.
    [insert preferred rolleyes here]
    To be fair though, there are only TWO mods I've come across that behave this way, the rest (in the forums I frequent anyway) aren't a bad lot.
    Just my dha phingin.

I think I know of whom you speak! [insert preferred rolleyes here]

But you're right, most of the chats I've had with mods have been great and like I said before its not ALL MODS obviously! Just a few
    Thanks for your response!

• Advertisement

Winters wrote: »
    Sometimes I dont even need my mod hat on to be impolite...

:) fair enough

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I haven't had the opportunity to be rude to anyone as a mod yet so am highly insulted by your generalistion.

But when that opportunity arises.......

I really am sorry about generalising!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Sherifu wrote: »
    e53caf4164c5a92628a49bfbaacf8227.jpg
    This is actually pretty solid imo.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Mods aren't real people, you see.

They're soylent green.

expecting everything and anything to be polite and anal with all and anyways

I don't expect everyone and everything to be polite all the time... the majority of the time would be nice though. And certainly in a situation like boards, where you're reading and might not always have the tone of voice that the message was intended correct, surely it doesn't cost much to be nice? But then I'm all to aware that this is just too much for some people

Dades wrote: »
    Mods aren't real people, you see.

They're soylent green.

Oh.... you see, now if I'd know that... well then there you go. That explains it all. Sorry to have bothered you:)

*Thinks, now all I need is a time machine to get to 2022*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

OP: To be honest with ya, I have to disagree. Any time I've had to interact with a moderator on more than a user to user basis, they've always been polite.

Take Terrys last pm to me for example
    Terry wrote:

Hi Rb,

How are you?Lovely weather we're having these days, isn't it?
    I just thought I'd drop you a pm as a post of yours was reported, you know how it is, not everybody will take things the same way, and I was wondering if you could possibly refrain from calling those with inferior minds 'retards' as it appears to be upsetting some of them and I've had a few complaints to deal with. I realise it is quite an appropriate term for them, but you know yourself, some people will get offended by anything these days, so do try to keep it to a minimum.

Hope all is well,
    Your number 1 fan,

Terrance

Nesf in particular is a shining example of a good/fair/polite/nice moderator so don't tar them all with the same brush, like all walks of life there'll be a few bad apples but they'll get their comeuppance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Well there's a surprise... p*ss takers on spelling. Good pics though! :)

Seriously I am sorry about the genralising, of course I didn't mean that ALL mods are rude or have been rude to me in the past. What I will say is though that since I've been a member I have had several times where I either posted something in the wrong place or posted up something that wasn't supposed to be discussed on boards, or whatever... made a mistake and just a gruff or rude response from a mod. Now I'm not going to go trough old posts and old pm's for details and the most recent one that prompted me to post up isn't worth getting into a row about. My point for posting up was not start a he said, she said argument but to point out that this has been my experience and hope that others who may have experienced this too would speak out and that maybe mods... not all, but some.... who may have been a bit rude in the past would think about the way they address people. Thats all. I'm really not trying to start a whole big deal.
    But to be honest... I'm unsurprised by the replies I've gotten so far!

I can see where you're coming from... just to be clear, are you sure you aren't confusing mods with "people who've been here for years and post here rather a lot"? Cause there tends to be an awful lot of overlap between the 2 groups on boards.

And FWIW the whole pedantry around spelling mistakes annoys the crap out of me too, and I knew it would happen as soon as I saw the thread title. Someone who posts just to make fun of someone else's spelling mistakes always looks faaar worse than the person who's mistake they're pointing out, even if that person is a naked idiot rereg spam-troll...

...rant over.

rb_ie wrote: »
    OP: To be honest with ya, I have to disagree. Any time I've had to interact with a moderator on more than a user to user basis, they've always been polite.

Take Terrys last pm to me for example

Nesf in particular is a shining example of a good/fair/polite/nice moderator so don't tar them all with the same brush, like all walks of life there'll be a few bad apples but they'll get their comeuppance.

Good lord... now that is polite and nice! You see, thats the way I'd like to be spoken to.

• Advertisement

6th wrote: »
    Ok Mods, roll out! Lets each ask the OP, one at a time, where you personally have been impolite.

Velvet, when have I ever been impolite?

Thanks for your concern 6th, but you're off the hook... I'll keep you on the Christmas card list... just watch your step!:)

Advertisement