Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

More VRT and VRO Stuff

Options
  • 19-05-2008 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

A couple of quick questions. Has anyone here brought a UK or Northern reg car in and paid the VRT and re-registered? If so, I was wondering if you could give a brief summary of your experience at the VRO office.

Did it take long and did they ask lots of questions? Did you have to explain the history of owning the car from the time you bought it?

Can you choose which VRO office you go to or is it based on where you will be living and working?

Do you need an address in the republic before being able to pay VRT and re-register?

I'm a bit hesitant because a couple of years ago I did live in Dublin but didn't re-register or pay VRT with the car at the time. But if I go back now, I intend to pay the VRT but I don't want them to start trying to nail me for the first time. I don't think the VRT now is massively lower than it would have been then anyway, maybe 300 euro less now at most.

I wouldn't be planning on volunteering this info to them but if they started asking loads of questions about where the car and I have been since I bought it, then it could be tricky.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Nice one cheers.

Do you have any choice about which VRO office you go to? I'm just wondering is it better to go to one over another, for reasons of queue's, nicer staff etc.

you can go to whatever office you want, some people prefer dublin cos of the "D" reg, Im not bothered myself to be honest, Im gonna register my car first thing July 1st if I have it and Im gonna do it in my home county (wexford) as I know where the building is etc.

Nice one. While Dublin is where I'd probably end up living, I'm currently in the north so it would be much easier for me to take the short drive to the Monaghan VRO. However when I emailed them earlier they said I should contact the VRO where I would be living. Weird. I would kind of prefer a MN reg myself as it's closer to home :)

haha they probably dont want extra volume of people annoying them, btw maybe get confirmation of this but as far as I know you can get it done in any office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭seamy_orr

The Reg No. you are assigned is based on your residential address and not on the VRT Office you attend. Also what I don't get is the whole 'pay VRT within 24 hours of entering the country' when most of the regional VRT offices only open two days a week. Maybe with all the extra imports coming in they may open 3 days a week. You should be able to attend any VRT office of your choice as far as I know, I was told to go to Dublin as the one in Wicklow was not going to be open on the day I was available to attend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 guju121

Going to Wicklow VRO in morning, do you really need a ferrie ticket, I brought the car over last Saturday, but I through the ticket in the bin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

If your currently resident in the North, keep a record of electricity bills car insurance etc., you may be able to avoid VRT through transfer of residence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

guju121 wrote: »
    Going to Wicklow VRO in morning, do you really need a ferrie ticket, I brought the car over last Saturday, but I through the ticket in the bin

They are just delighted you are paying the VRT. No need for the ferry ticket. I've never been asked for it. Fill in the VRT4 & RF100 forms available on the revenue website & make sure you bring your cheque book & RSI number. They don't take credit card or cash.

Just a quick question. Do you have to go to the VRO office in the county where you will be living?

My situation is that I may be moving back to Dublin for work and if I do, I may be temporarily living in Kildare until I find a place to live in Dublin. Can I still go to one of the Dublin VRO offices to pay my VRT or will they make me go to the Kildare VRO?

The Kildare VRO only seems to be open two days per week, however I don't know if the Dublin VRO will complain that my temporary address would be in Kildare.

Also, is it difficult/slow to change your address details so soon after paying VRT?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ You can go to whichever office is handiest for you.

Not sure what you mean about changing address? The car will be registered to you at the address you give in the VRO. You can change your address afterwards on the registration document, but the car will obviously stay on the issued registration number.

You mentioned above that you would like a Monaghan reg. Do you have a Monaghan address you could use?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

I went to my local VRO with the VRT4 form filled out and the UK Reg Certificate. The girl behind the counter took it away for two minutes and came back with my quote and new reg number. I paid my money and left.

Nice one Phoole, which VRO did you go to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 guju121

Got the car done in Wicklow, no receipt or ferry ticket needed, just the VRT4 and V5C log book. They did inspect the car, but only checked the chassis number and mileage.

Advertisement