Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaggia Syncrony

Options
  • 19-05-2008 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭

How is this machine? looking to start having proper coffee at home, and like the way this has a grinder built in, any opinions? thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

heggie wrote: »
    How is this machine? looking to start having proper coffee at home, and like the way this has a grinder built in, any opinions? thanks

Have no hands on experience with this model, but reviews online seem
    mixed. I'd always go for a separate espresso machine and grinder - less
    to go wrong and easier to upgrade individual components at a later date
    should you see fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

thanks for the reply, I like my coffee, but im not sure im bothered getting a separate grinder and thought this looked good, maybe i'd be better going down the separate route tho

thanks for the reply, I like my coffee, but im not sure im bothered getting a separate grinder and thought this looked good, maybe i'd be better going down the separate route tho

Sorry heggie, was juggling work whilst writing my earlier reply.

What price were you looking at for the Syncrony? Chances are
    buying an entry level Gaggia espresso machine and a Gaggia MDF
    grinder would cost roughly the same. Buying separates means
    you can mix and match between manufacturers, you are not limited
    to just Gaggia gear.

Let us know your budget and the type of coffee drinks you like. I'm
    sure myself and the others here will be able to suggest a few options.

Hasta luego..

thanks, well I'd have a budget of probably about 400 (i'm able to get a discount in a shop that stocks some coffee gear, so if theres something well worth getting with a retail price above that I can cut it by about 20%) I like americano, cappucinos etc but I woudn't drink coffee black often. Also, I couldnt really have any huge machine so size may be an issue

I've just had a check on Argos - they're useful for getting average
    pricing for Ireland quickly.

Gaggia Cubika Stainless Steel Espresso Machine.

Cat # 050/2962 €224

Gaggia Evolution Espresso Machine.

Cat # 050/3428 €264

Between the two entry level models above, I'd go for the Evolution
    another review here

• Advertisement

ok cool, so that with a grinder?

ok cool, so that with a grinder?

Afraid not, you're looking at another €150+ for a decent grinder.
    Do a search on the forum for 'grinder'. I'd recommend either the Gaggia
    MDF or Iberital MC2. A good grinder is crucial. With a budget of €400
    and 20% off you should be able to get both. If the shop you can get the
    discount in only stocks certain brands let us know.

oh yeah, I meant that + a grinder, I'll check those out, thanks for the help

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I can't add any more to the excellent advice Gran Hermano as pointed out. Let us know what you decide and how you get on :)

Edit/ buy a good tamper too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

thanks, well I'd have a budget of probably about 400 (i'm able to get a discount in a shop that stocks some coffee gear, so if theres something well worth getting with a retail price above that I can cut it by about 20%) I like americano, cappucinos etc but I woudn't drink coffee black often. Also, I couldnt really have any huge machine so size may be an issue

I have had the Syncrony logic for a few years now and I love it... this is after several manual Gaggia machines over the years. The thing is though, all I want is well made and consistent espresso - the Syncrony does this at the push of a button. It does have a steamer for cappuccinos or lattes but if you're going to that much trouble you might as well have a good old "lock and load" machine anyway.
    In short there's nothing wrong with the Syncrony - it produces very good coffee everytime. It's just not for everyone.

• Advertisement

another noob question, what do you guys use to foam your milk?

another noob question, what do you guys use to foam your milk?

There's a steam wand on the side of the espresso machine which will
    accommodate all your milk foaming and frothing.

great, thanks for all the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

My sister has a sychrony and it makes terrible coffee (even when I give her top notch beans) but that may be down to lack of cleaning and maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If you're going for a manual machine;

The big factor with Gaggia models is that the cheaper models have aluminium filter holders while the Classic and other models have chromed brass.
    The brass holds the heat much better giver a hotter coffee without having to use hotter water.
    The brass ones have a much nicer feel and weight too.

I've used both and it really is a big factor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

The Classic uses Black Plastic filter holders..... cheapens the whole package.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

hshortt wrote: »
    The Classic uses Black Plastic filter holders..... cheapens the whole package.

Cheers
    Mine doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    Mine doesn't.

I'll hazard a guess then that yours is the Silver Classic. My experience is with the Black Classic and the portafilter holder is black plastic with black plastic spouts.

Cheerio,
    Howard

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I've the stainless Classic too. I can't believe they supply a black plastic portafilter with the other machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Yeah silver / metal. The portafilter and spouts are chromed brass. There is a black plastic handle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement