Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thieving "Travellers" Boss

• 19-05-2008 4:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

I was in Mitchell's golf shop this afternoon and a whole gang of kn**kers came in and did the usual, split up and went all over the shop. On leaving they had robbed a few clubs and hats, but to be fair to John he went after them and got some stuff back, but not all.

Thieving scum. Only good thing was the stuff they robbed was the lower cost items as they did'nt know the difference or couldn't read the prices!!!

John got the reg numbers and reported it, but it's **** having to deal with that stuff when you're just trying to make a living and giving employment to 4/5 people as well.

Rant over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

and then they give out about being discriminated against when people won't serve them...and they wonder why.Really feel for ya mate, used to have to deal with them quiet a bit in a job I had a few years back. Know some are grand, and shouldn't generalise, but I think when you don't have to deal with that kind of thing its easy to be sympathic towards them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Meatwad wrote: »
    and then they give out about being discriminated against when people won't serve them...and they wonder why.Really feel for ya mate, used to have to deal with them quiet a bit in a job I had a few years back. Know some are grand, and shouldn't generalise, but I think when you don't have to deal with that kind of thing its easy to be sympathic towards them.

The reason for that is that some travellers are saying not to tarnish them with the same brush. As in, not all travellers act like that and there are some good travellers. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Woodgate

Sully wrote: »
    The reason for that is that some travellers are saying not to tarnish them with the same brush. As in, not all travellers act like that and there are some good travellers. :)
    Sully, just out of interest, if you owned a shop would you be happy to let a family of them wander around, and hope that they are the small percentage that don't rob you. You'd be a brave man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

But here's the interesting thing.... if ANYONE walked into your shop how could you tell if they were going to rob you or not!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

You couldn't, but if they happened to be pikeys (and its pretty obvious when they are...you couldn't disguise one) then you'd have to say that statistically the chances would be quite high.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Woodgate wrote: »
    Sully, just out of interest, if you owned a shop would you be happy to let a family of them wander around, and hope that they are the small percentage that don't rob you. You'd be a brave man.

Yes, I would. Id keep a close eye on them, but I wouldnt ask them to leave. Why? Regardless that its discrimanation, there is a chance that the family might mean well and not have any interest in robbing. It might be rare, but it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Yes, I would. Id keep a close eye on them, but I wouldnt ask them to leave. Why? Regardless that its discrimanation, there is a chance that the family might mean well and not have any interest in robbing. It might be rare, but it happens.
    I've personally never seen anything positive from them anyway

Aye, and not many have. But some do :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭sunnyse

What really bugs me about the traveller do-gooders is the way they insist that travellers are a different race and so any ridiculing of their ways is seen as racism.
    they are NOT a different race....they're just lazy irish/english people who got used to handouts over the years.

sunnyse wrote: »
    What really bugs me about the traveller do-gooders is the way they insist that travellers are a different race and so any ridiculing of their ways is seen as racism.
    they are NOT a different race....they're just lazy irish/english people who got used to handouts over the years.

I do believe the Irish courts disagree - they have given a nice sum of compensation to them over the years because of eejits refusing them for their premises. I can understand their concern but it seems obvious you cant mess with travellers without getting the race card (in a lot of cases, not all).

That's exactly my point sully. By treating them as a different race to the rest of us it allows them to continue in their anti-social ways.
    You complain about them not working... you're a racist
    you complain asbout all the hand outs....you're a racist
    you try to prevent them ripping your pub apart....you're a racist
    you don't want them to park in your garden and **** everyway.....RACIST

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

I was in Mitchell's golf shop this afternoon and a whole gang of kn**kers came in and did the usual,
    You couldn't, but if they happened to be pikeys (and its pretty obvious when they are...you couldn't disguise one)
    The word flame thrower comes to mind,maybe a bit harsh............nope flame thrower it is.
    either flame thrower or a shower, don't know which would frighten em more.
    there is a chance that the family might mean well and not have any interest in robbing. It might be rare, but it happens.

Some lovely comments there folks. Glad to see we have such an enlightened bunch of posters on the Waterford City forum that would never make sweeping generalisations or anything...

I have to LOL at the similarities between some of the posts and the 'I'm not a racist BUT....' type comments we hear every day.

sunnyse wrote: »
    That's exactly my point sully. By treating them as a different race to the rest of us it allows them to continue in their anti-social ways.
    You complain about them not working... you're a racist
    you complain asbout all the hand outs....you're a racist
    you try to prevent them ripping your pub apart....you're a racist
    you don't want them to park in your garden and **** everyway.....RACIST

Regardless though, my original point still stands. There not all that bad. Yes there are (plenty) of a bad bunch but its unfair to say everyone of them are bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

KevIRL wrote: »
    Some lovely comments there folks. Glad to see we have such an enlightened bunch of posters on the Waterford City forum that would never make sweeping generalisations or anything...

I have to LOL at the similarities between some of the posts and the 'I'm not a racist BUT....' type comments we hear every day.
    I have been banned for less from this forum, but to be honest, I hate travellers, due to my years of very negative encounters with them, if that makes me a racist then so be it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I've worked with a woman for a few years who married into a traveller family and even she says she wouldn't trust most of them, even her own in-laws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I think when so many people have the same view/incidences with knackers its not racist at all to talk about how bad they are. We've all experienced it and as such have a right to feel wary about them. Never met a good one in my entire life to be completely honest and I've only ever gotten nothing but grief in my dealings with them.

I have been banned for less from this forum,

Really? First I heard of it. I recall you were banned for worse. Since you have an issue with it, send me a PM and we can discuss it. I thought you accepted the ban that was given, I guess I was wrong.
    but to be honest, I hate travellers, due to my years of very negative encounters with them, if that makes me a racist then so be it

Yes, we know you do :) I understand you have had bad experiences, and a lot of people have. At the same time, we cant tarnish them with the same brush. There are some good (even if its a small percentage!). :)

You won't find me saying "I'm not a racist BUT" because they're NOT a different race. It's just another excuse to allow travellers to get away with the indefensible.
    If someone wants to live outside societies norms and live a different life that's they're prerogative but it shouldn't mean that they get to live by different rules.
    I guarantee if I did any of the negative things mentioned in this thread I'd be in court and locked up in a blink of an eye.
    But not travellers, they're a different race so foisting our rules on them is racist:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Woodgate

Some lovely comments there folks. Glad to see we have such an enlightened bunch of posters on the Waterford City forum

So people are not entitled to their opinions?

Can you "enlighten" us as to why we are so wrong and out of touch with the rest of the country, who by your comments must love "travellers" and let them do what they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Woodgate wrote: »
    So people are not entitled to their opinions?

Can you "enlighten" us as to why we are so wrong and out of touch with the rest of the country, who by your comments must love "travellers" and let them do what they want.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions obviously I agree totally with this.

Lets look at the comments I highlighted though
    I was in Mitchell's golf shop this afternoon and a whole gang of kn**kers came in and did the usual,
    - here the poster uses a derogatory term to describe people of section of the community. He then goes on to say they 'did the usual', The usual? to rob? How is this the usual? Where are the facts to back this statement up?
    You couldn't, but if they happened to be pikeys (and its pretty obvious when they are...you couldn't disguise one)
    - Again a derogatory term used to describe a section of the community
    The word flame thrower comes to mind,maybe a bit harsh............nope flame thrower it is.
    - So the insinnuation here is that flame thrower should be used to punish the travellers in question or in general, thats a really great opinion to have
    either flame thrower or a shower, don't know which would frighten em more.
    - As above
    there is a chance that the family might mean well and not have any interest in robbing. It might be rare, but it happens.
    - Here a generalisation is made that the majority of traveller families are only interested in robbing. No facts are given to back this up
    - Again a sweeping generalisation is made with no facts to back the statement up

I'm not for one second saying that anyone has to 'love travellers' everyone is entitled to their opinion. I do feel that using insulting terms to describe a section of the community is wrong though and I also feel that making sweeping generalistions without any facts to back it up is also wrong.

I believe that everyone should be subject to the law of the land equally, no matter what.

I think the topic has run its course. Its descended into a bitch fest about members of the travelling community. We already established that there are a number of travellers who are "scumbags" as you like to call them. However, the fact of the matter is it is not fair to generalise. Discrimination isn't permitted on Boards, and bans will be issued to anyone who does.

To the OP; sorry to hear about the shop getting robbed. I hope they manage to recover the lost goods or get some sort of compensation for the robbery.

Topic Closed.