Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car park - hit another car :(

Options
  • 19-05-2008 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭

Was pulling into a space, felt it was a bit tight so reversed to straighten up - and £$%^ - car had driven behind me! Had checked my mirrors and looked to the right but it was just in my blind spot. I know it was my fault and there was no question of that - so called the guards just so it'd be above board etc. and all was ok - swapped details etc.

Damage done though.. 2 doors dented and scratched across the lower panels of '04 Golf :( Scratch and dent above the wheel to rear of car.

Any idea what this is going to cost to be repaired? It seems like the scratches werent' deep but paint was taken off etc. The dent is a clean bump - it was my bumper - which only has a scratch on it - typical.

Should I go through my insurance or pay up front - have 3 years no claims bonus.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

girl eh? :p

No seriously ring around some panel beaters and see what they say, i'd imagine maybe 400 euro or so.

I'd pay up front too cause it's not worth losing 3 yrs NCB over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Cionád wrote: »
    girl eh? :p

No seriously ring around some panel beaters and see what they say, i'd imagine maybe 400 euro or so.

I'd say quite a bit more then that, maybe 800+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You could expect about 200 notes per door/panel I'd say. When I got the rear three-quarter panel done on my car it was 250.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Ya - I was actually expecting more - in the region of 2-3 grand - so lets hope ye are closer!! I suppose it's best to just let it up to her now and see what happens. We parted saying to let me know what the quote is and if I can manage it without going through insurance I'll do that. Just wanted to see what people thought the cost might be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

sorry to hear that, but if it goes through Insurance, expect the bill to be in the thousands.
    Otherwise will be much less.

• Advertisement

cashmni1 wrote: »
    sorry to hear that, but if it goes through Insurance, expect the bill to be in the thousands.
    Otherwise will be much less.

Thanks Cashmni1.

Ya I figured that if a garage thought it was going through insurance it would automatically be rounded up rather than down. I'm just in two minds to text her and say that I hope to pay in cash for repairs, just so she knows cos we were both so shocked when it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

I know it doesn't help, but this is a frequent issue in car parks. I do wonder why people insist on driving past behind when if they were at all alert they would see your reversing lights? Let's face it, they aren't exactly dim. Sounds to me like a case of each insurer paying out for their insured's claim -- the "knock for knock" principle. I suppose it depends on where the other car was when you reversed.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

regardless of where the other car was and who saw who, it's the OP's fault. My guess is over €1500,

hard luck, at least nobody was hurt

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭return guide

ART6 wrote: »
    I know it doesn't help, but this is a frequent issue in car parks. I do wonder why people insist on driving past behind when if they were at all alert they would see your reversing lights? Let's face it, they aren't exactly dim. QUOTE]

Perhaps they just wanted to go home before their tesco bags defrosted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

A couple of years back I ran down the side of a newish BMW with the edge of my wheel arch on my passenger side quarter-panel as I was exiting from a bay in a cramped car-park.

As it was a life and death situation at the time, I just jotted down the reg of the car, got out of the car-park and contacted the guards.

They gave me the owner's name and address and I wrote to him saying that I'd pay whatever it cost.

I was bricking it at the time as it was a fairly new BMW. He eventually got back and said the repairs were €300. I was expecting to fork out about €1K at least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I feel for you OP. I have a carvan and the bastards used to do that to me all the time - even when I'm quarter of the way out! So, I always, where possible, reverse in - though sometimes they drive right up to you then also.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,420 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Cork_girl wrote: »
    car had driven behind me!
    Hang on. You were manouevering into a space and someone drove behind you? What did the garda have to say about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭dsane1

another reason to have herringbone style markings in car parks ,makes less hassle to get in/out of space

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

When I had to get 2 dented and badly scratched doors fixed it cost €2,000. The garage the insurance sent us to said just to get 2 new doors since they were so badly damaged there was no point in trying to fix them.
    Hopefully it'll be less for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I had a similar incident recently where someone reversed into me. He left a big enough dent that I needed to get my driver's door replaced, but apart from that there was no other other panel damage. THe bill was around 1200 Euro, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Victor wrote: »
    Hang on. You were manouevering into a space and someone drove behind you? What did the garda have to say about that?

I got that she was in the space, wasn't quite happy with how she was lined up, then reversed out again from being fully in? So that car waited until she was in, began to drive past, then the OP reconsidered her position and reversed...

I don't drive though.. *shrug*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

To be honest I feel for the OP, ok it was an expensive mistake. I don't know about other people but I always allow plenty of room for someone parking and ensure they are in their correct position before I will pass them. Nothing worse then pulling out/in a spot and there is some gobsh!te up your hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

mike65 wrote: »
    You could expect about 200 notes per door/panel I'd say. When I got the rear three-quarter panel done on my car it was 250.

Mike.

a lad in work had his door of a 06 civic nailed by a jeep, the dent is big and paint is scratched to the metal, he got a estimate by a honda approved bodyshop......................€1200 incl respray and thats just 1 door, (they are replacing the whole door as honda dont do skins)

id get a professional estimate first before deciding on advice given by people who havnt seen the car or know exactly what work is involved.:)

also i think you should be rewarded for your honesty, too many people would just drive off.

fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,105 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

she could hardly drive off if the person was in the car behind her :p

moral of the story, reverse into spaces

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

OP just make sure ask them to give you the name and contact number of the person carrying out the works so you can ring and confirm the price and then ask for a receipt when the job is done.

• Advertisement

ART6 wrote: »
    I know it doesn't help, but this is a frequent issue in car parks. I do wonder why people insist on driving past behind when if they were at all alert they would see your reversing lights? Let's face it, they aren't exactly dim. QUOTE]

yep - I had my lights on and was never fully into the space - she just didn't see me at all!! I always reverse into spaces, it was just a series of unfortunate events that I didn't this one time. Won't be doing it again!!

Perhaps they just wanted to go home before their tesco bags defrosted.

She said she was just finished work and was very tired - didn't see me at all.

Nice one!
    nipplenuts wrote: »
    I feel for you OP. I have a carvan and the bastards used to do that to me all the time - even when I'm quarter of the way out! So, I always, where possible, reverse in - though sometimes they drive right up to you then also.

Thanks - it wasn't that she waited for me to pull in - she didnt' see me AT ALL!! Crazy. Reversing is the way to go alright - at least then you can see the dozy gits as they drive oblivious to all other people!
    Victor wrote: »

Garda said well technically you hit her. He was pretty nasty to be honest, my mother was there with me and I'd say only for that he would have been a right old wagon. He made a smart comment about why we bothered calling him when it was a private car park and we were wasting his time. Useless so and so!

When I had to get 2 dented and badly scratched doors fixed it cost €2,000. The garage the insurance sent us to said just to get 2 new doors since they were so badly damaged there was no point in trying to fix them.
    Hopefully it'll be less for you!

Got a quote. It's €1827 - 2 new skins/paint/labour etc. :(
    passive wrote: »
    I got that she was in the space, wasn't quite happy with how she was lined up, then reversed out again from being fully in? So that car waited until she was in, began to drive past, then the OP reconsidered her position and reversed...

I don't drive though.. *shrug*

Nope - I was never in the space - was 3/4 in, noticed it was tight on my left side and was going to move out a bit just to move more to the right. :(
    HungryJoey wrote: »
    To be honest I feel for the OP, ok it was an expensive mistake. I don't know about other people but I always allow plenty of room for someone parking and ensure they are in their correct position before I will pass them. Nothing worse then pulling out/in a spot and there is some gobsh!te up your hole.

Thanks
    OP just make sure ask them to give you the name and contact number of the person carrying out the works so you can ring and confirm the price and then ask for a receipt when the job is done.

Got the quote from her, I think it'll have to be an insurance job anyway. Quote was €1827, so I might as well just face the music with the insurance. At least that way I will get my own repaired too.

Thanks to all for your help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Nope - I was never in the space - was 3/4 in, noticed it was tight on my left side and was going to move out a bit just to move more to the right. :(

Apologies so :(. Hard luck... Jesus that's pricey...

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭junior_apollo

1st Mistake:
    Not looking properly behind you when reversing...

I say this time and time again to my missus and she still reverses using the mirrors... You HAVE to look behind your properly as there will be blind spots..
    But im not gonna rant on at you, as maybe that wasnt the case - mistakes get made - gotta learn from them. - FULLY and properly look behind you and slowly reverse still looking behind u - not just mirrors...

2nd Mistake:
    Admitting it was your fault...

Should never have done that.. might have gotten a 50/50 decision since the other driver admitted they didnt even see you!.. Let the cops decide who is at fault... NEVER admit guilt...

Only saving grace you have is your a female and your insurance is no doubt low as it is...
    At worst your insurance will now move to somewhere slightly under that of a male driver.. which is ridiculous.. but again i wont go into that... :D

Ok well it's going through the insurance now anyway - I wasnt' sure what to do but I guess it's better to just let it go that route. My insurance was actually due to be renewed this week anyway - talk about luck.. crap timing!! So it has jumped up by 550 euro - I had the quote for what it was going to be sent out last month. :(

So. Now I need to get my own car repaired - does anyone have any recommendations? The insurance company (Quinn) just said not to bother going to a main dealership. It's not a major job - just bumper probably needs to be sanded and resprayed.

Googled and Quinlans here came up - any recommendations? Am based in Dublin!!

Shop around for quotes...

CarCraft/ Ive used these before and found them to be one of the cheapest and did an excellent job...

But deffinately shop around - get as many quotes as you can to be honest...

Shop around for quotes...

CarCraft/ Ive used these before and found them to be one of the cheapest and did an excellent job...

But deffinately shop around - get as many quotes as you can to be honest...

Thanks junior_apollo.

I'll be going through the insurance anyway so do I really need to shop around?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

If it's going through insurance then get it done properly rather than cheaply.

+1 for carcraft, haven't heard much bad about them.

Ya since its through your insurance dont be 'overly' worried about price... but i mean from a good job point of view - shop around.

IE. try find places with good references from friends, internet sites etc...

I had to get my bonnet stripped and resprayed and carcraft did an amazing job of it... good facilities and no messing about with cost or time to do the job. (did the full job in 4 hours what others said would take a day minimum :eek:)

They give a free quote so id say give them a ring or drop into them with the car for a quote sure?... nothing to lose that way...

Ya since its through your insurance dont be 'overly' worried about price... but i mean from a good job point of view - shop around.

IE. try find places with good references from friends, internet sites etc...

I had to get my bonnet stripped and resprayed and carcraft did an amazing job of it... good facilities and no messing about with cost or time to do the job. (did the full job in 4 hours what others said would take a day minimum :eek:)

They give a free quote so id say give them a ring or drop into them with the car for a quote sure?... nothing to lose that way...

Thanks :) I don't actually know anyone who has used any garages up here (being from Cork originally!) and I don't want to have the hassle of bringing car home, getting time off etc. and being without car or anything like that. I know I can't get home for the next 3/4 weeks so it'd be stretching it out too long.

Car craft sounds great - I'll get out to them on Saturday hopefully and get it all sorted! Can't wait to be finished with it all!

• Advertisement

No worries - Hope it works out for you.

Be aware of their working hours on saturday (I think it was 9:00am - 1:00pm)

:cool:

Advertisement