Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business cards

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

Kurttt wrote: »
    big businesses don't use letter headed paper

the biggest load of rubbish i've read in a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

heggie wrote: »
    the biggest load of rubbish i've read in a while!

:D +1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Kurttt

You reckon heggie? I dont mean they dont send letters with company headed logos, just usually they have blank paper and print out the Logo headed paper as they go. This way if they print a page for internal use it doesnt have the logo wasting page space.

Certainly i wouldn't get choose to use the pre printed headed paper because everytime you want to print them you have to change the paper in your printer (assuming you dont have paper several trays).

Price of maually changing / inserting letter headed paper Vs the price of a drip of ink to print it... Thats the classic save on money by buying one fax machine for the business then make your employees wander down stairs every time they need to send a fax.

If were talking small business, IMO, letter headed paper is a waste of time.

I do reckon, the boxes and boxes of branded letterheads we've printed downstairs back that up. You think big companies use small inkjet printers for their offices??? Good stationery is well designed & produced, and a home made job just doens't look as good. Also, yes a drip of ink from an inkjet printer would cost more than getting them done on press.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I'm 100% in agreement with heggie here.

• Advertisement

Having "boxes and boxes" doesnt mean your definately correct, just committed to your side of the argument.

If your a big business then you have better printers, which in theory can produce just as good quality as the same printer in a print shop. In this day and age where a 250 euro printer can produce a photo quality finnish i'm not sure your argument comes into play, again when talking about small business.

If your printing out 100 letters to customers per day then yes. If your doing 10 / 15 then there's a definate case to try a different strategy.

Might this just be embedded thinking for three years ago? And really would you not hire a company over their quality of letter head. Come on now.

again when talking about small business.
    No, we were talking about big businesses

wheres your evidence that "big businesses don't use letter headed paper" a photo printer takes a long time to print at full quality, it also costs more. And big business would easily be using 100+ letterheads a day, you then seem to contradict yourself saying "10 / 15 then there's a definate case to try a different strategy"

Any what happened three years ago?
    And really would you not hire a company over their quality of letter head. Come on now.

No, but you would have more faith in a company with a strong brand, of which that is a part.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

And really would you not hire a company over their quality of letter head. Come on now.

Yes, I would consider not hiring a company on the basis of the quality of their letterhead, depending on what they do. If they're a catering company it might not be a big deal, if they're a training or professional services company then it might be. If they're a printing or design company, 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Trojan wrote: »
    Yes, I would consider not hiring a company on the basis of the quality of their letterhead, depending on what they do. If they're a catering company it might not be a big deal, if they're a training or professional services company then it might be. If they're a printing or design company, 100%.

+1

Would I hire the guy in the suit ... or the guy in the jeans ? .. depends on the circumstances.

Would I hire the company with the crap website or the one that looks professional ?

I get in two quotes on something ... one on professional letterhead paper .. the other on cheap recycled paper ? both quoting the same figure ... which do I choose ?

While a lot of companies have good printers you can tell the difference for example between business cards printed at home and those from a printing company.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Aelfric

Quality of corporate image is definitely a valid selection criterion, and one that I tend to use, however unconsciously.

If a 'big business' is printing letterhead on the fly, then what an incredible waste. The cost of printing (commercial) vs the cost of using and maintaining a colour laser printer (and you'd need a high-end one for the quality), is a no-brainer. I've worked for companies large and small, here and in the UK. Nobody (except me) uses their own printer to print their letterhead. I'll be getting mine done professionally, thank you. Black ink is a good deal cheaper than colour!!

Oh, and my Vistaprint business cards rock! Pity though that since I bought them, I've been bombarded with special offers that would have made the cost of my cards a lot less. Still, 250 + 250 cards and 2 x card holders on glossy paper with our own logo uploaded, front & back printing, 7-day delivery (Belgium to Navan in 2 days from order date), for less a fraction over €130? I'm impressed :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

No large company I know of uses a colour printer to regularly print letterheads.

Generally they have a particular stock they use for letters. It's not just a matter of printing something on it.

Even the best laser printer into the world isn't going to print as well as a lithgraphic print job.

I helped one large company in Ireland to set up to avoid having to have separate letterheads for different departments and to avoid changes when directors change. They do this by having various templates and VBA scripts. The printer prints only the logo; everything else is done by the B+W laser printer.

Ok gonna conceed that some of my points were over emphasised. Yes if your a professional body that is sending loads of letter headed paper all the time then Commercial printing is good.

In my field i wouldn't be bothered with commercial printing. I still think that having to change the paper in the tray is a giant big waste of time (if your only sending a few pages - if i sent more i suppose i'd get a second printer.)

The topic is about small business start up (i assume) who wants to get some basic printing done with a mind to saving money. My advice is get just cards and don't get fancy headed paper. I don't want to change / take away from the topic so lets leave this tangent at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Seaborg

Try printingpress.ie , rockbottom prices and high-end print, purely online, free delivery in Dublin. Always v. good service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

Moo are finally offering full-sized business cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭kellybelly

I just got my cards delivered from Vistaprint this morning,very happy with them,would recommend them toanybody.Just orderd them 10 days ago on standard shipping.I used .com rather than .ie and saved a few bob on the dollar too!

Advertisement