Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling to work

Options
  • 19-05-2008 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭

Hi...seems to be the place to find out. Was wondering all you guys who commute to work if you wear suits in work? Started work in October after college which i used to cycle to etc but stopped and have a bus ticket. but i was wondering how u get in in your suit do you change in work and if so how do you carry your suit and shoes etc in without crumpling everything? just wondering as i'm contemplating going back to cycling in once the bus ticket is up in october.

Thanks!
    Eoin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I leave clothes in work- we have showers. It's possible to carry a suit without crumpling on a rear rack if in a suit bag. Similarly shoes in a shoe box although that one isn't as important.

Cycling in a suit is OK over short distances if you take it easy and don't work up a sweat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Easiest way is just to take it easy it's what I do (although not in a suit), and it's grand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

there isn't showers in work. it's not that far to cycle so guess the option is waering the suit and take it easy...its downhill basically to work. I'd be going from clonskeagh/donnybrook area to IFSC. thanks for the replies. I was wondering if there was some "rucksack" you could put a suit in but obviously not. Heard of ones for traveling that u can roll up a suit in. thanks!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I just leave my suit in work. Change it when you eventually have to take it to the dry cleaners or get the bus one day a week to change over suits if you have more than one. I always just have mine dry cleaned when I have a day off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Would you get away with wearing one of these?

• Advertisement

Morgan wrote: »
    Would you get away with wearing one of these?
    shall we go with no Morgan!...it's a good jersey, but just cant see it working in the office!...part of the problem and why i want to get back to cycling is the little bit of a belly i have developed!so more exercise is required especially since i am not playing as much sport as usual.

Made me laugh when I saw it though, don't know if it was your intention...but I'm going to assume yes!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

That's not too far, you should be OK doing that distance even in a suit. I'd still leave it in work and change there if you can though, would be more comfortable and you'll sweat less. Disabled toilets have lots of room.

blorg wrote: »
    That's not too far, you should be OK doing that distance even in a suit. I'd still leave it in work and change there if you can though, would be more comfortable and you'll sweat less. Disabled toilets have lots of room.

There isn't really anywhere in work i wud feel safe leaving a suit, we have lockers for laptops and so forth but they would not fit a suit easily unless i folded it. Thats the prob and why i was hoping for some magic way of gettin it in to work!:D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

eoferrall wrote: »
    There isn't really anywhere in work i wud feel safe leaving a suit, we have lockers for laptops and so forth but they would not fit a suit easily unless i folded it. Thats the prob and why i was hoping for some magic way of gettin it in to work!:D
    I use one of these when I need to cart a spare wardrobe into work: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Cat=cycle&ProdID=5360007561&N=Ortlieb%20Messenger%20Courier%20Bag
    Gigantic and totally waterproof - you could prob fit a space suit in it, never mind yer best Louis Copeland whistle.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

Very rare that i wear a "tin of fruit" in the office, only for meetings. When I do have to wear one I drive to work.
    However couple of lads in work cycle every day and have to do the suit thing and use courier bags, I personally use this one.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3247

You could easily get a suit bag into this, as most suit bags fold in half.

Have great facilities in work lockers, showers, proper bike racks and secure areas.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Have great facilities in work lockers, showers, proper bike racks and secure areas.
    any jobs going there, mister? where I am, cyclists queue up for the one disabled toilet to change, while the car drivers give-out that the car park is too far from the building (they got a new car park, we're still queuing).

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

rp wrote: »
    any jobs going there, mister? where I am, cyclists queue up for the one disabled toilet to change, while the car drivers give-out that the car park is too far from the building (they got a new car park, we're still queuing).

Plenty of jobs for sure, problem is what i just described is the best part of working there.
    The job itself could be better. :D

Thanks bobtjustice! That looks like would do the job nicely. There is secure places to put bike (area in underground carpark) and plenty of disabled toilets to change in so that should do it nicely. Now i get to have a lie in the mornings no more rushing for the bus and spending 45mins traveling in each day. MIght mention changing area to the boss, see how much he laughs or not!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Remember when doing so to emphasise the advantages cycling provides:
    - healthier = less sick days
    - happier/less stressed
    - less chance of being late cos of traffic
    and get him to balance out the above based on the cost of a couple of showers/lockers/bikeracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

kenmc wrote: »
    - happier/less stressed
    and get him to balance out the above based on the cost of a couple of showers/lockers/bikeracks.

Dont forget the saving in petrol/diesel costs, now touching €1.30 and €1.40 a litre in the west!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

that doesn't really help the boss make the decision though! :)

kenmc wrote: »
    - happier/less stressed

I think he'll be pretty reasonable about it anyways, he pays for tag rugby and lots of other stuff. There might be none yet as only in the building a year or so, new canteen just opened and other work going on so it my not be a top priority! But sure can only ask no harm done mentioning it to him, he's a very approachable guy and likes to chat!:pac: There is space but i dont know if that is designated to something else or not but as i said no harm in asking!

Advertisement