Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can I run a 01 Ford Transit direct on a vegi oil/diesel mix?

Options
  • 19-05-2008 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I know a guy who is running a mid 90ies VW passat on a Tesco vegi oil mix direct into the diesel tank, He uses about 30% vegi oil to diesel. He says as long as its a Bosch fuel pump (Not common rail) it should be fine. Not sure what make fuel pump mine is but it is the model just before they went common rail. Would I get away with it? It cost me e80 on diesel on a round trip from Dublin to Ennis over the weekend so I am tempted. What If i get dipped is it an offense?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

dunno but i don't think its an offence. its not like green diesel. you are in fact doing them a favour by using reusable energy. in england you have to pay fuel tax on it though. not over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭nmacc

towel401 wrote: »
    dunno but i don't think its an offence. its not like green diesel. you are in fact doing them a favour by using reusable energy. in england you have to pay fuel tax on it though. not over here.

You don't have to pay excise duty on veggie oil, but you do have to pay VAT. Supermarket veggie oil is a food product and therefore VAT exempt, but veggie oil for motive purposes has to have the VAT paid. The usual solution is to carry a VAT receipt from the fuel supplier in case you're asked. Having said that, I know a man who runs on Lidl veggie oil and has been dipped a couple of times. The customs folks didn't care about the veggie oil, just marked gas oil. Of course that may not be the case if you're dipped....

I would say you've more to worry about from deposits building up on the injectors and the EGR valve. I'm guessing the Transit has an EGR valve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

nmacc wrote: »

I would say you've more to worry about from deposits building up on the injectors and the EGR valve. I'm guessing the Transit has an EGR valve?
    I'd say you're right. My father used to use commercial rapeseed oil on an Opel pickup. Eventually it went wallop. In fairness he always just kept topping it up willy nilly. I think they advise using about 20% in Summer and less in Winter.

We always knew he was somewhere nearby due to the chipper smell.:D

Advertisement