Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netopia DSL Router - Use a wireless access?

Options
  • 19-05-2008 6:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hey Guys,

I've one of the standard 'eircom style' wireless routers.
    Basically I've a cable connection in my house from NTL so the DSL feature on the router is useless, but i'd still like to use it as a wireless access point for the NTL.

What settings need to be changed?

Cheers Guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It won't work properly if the NTL (UPC) is the basic modem you need a router.

If there is one ethernet port then it's just a Modem. You need a router with a 5th ethernet port instead of a DSL modem built in.

If you are very clever and disable DHCP on the netopia, you might just get ONE WiFi device to connect, but probabily not reliably.

There are many other threads on this. Same applies to Metro, Breeze, Ripwave & etc, anything not DSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Better suited to ask this in Wireless.

It's nothing to do with Wireless or Wireless settings, but everything to do with Broadband Modem. Same problem if you wanted 2 to 8 ethernet cables.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

What was asked is entirely possible FYI

Barely, trust me. And only for one IP consuming device.

Its worse than tights to replace a fan belt.

You can reliably use the WiFi part of a DSL Modem/Router as a WiFi Airpoint, but only already if you have a private LAN/Router. A Cable Modem is usually just a modem, issuing a single Public IP.

• Advertisement
Advertisement