Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live recording question.

Options
  • 19-05-2008 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

I've been asked to record a live show at the weekend. I usually record muiltitrack with 8, 16, or 24 input options depending on needs and budget etc.... This group only want a stereo recording from the output of the foh desk. No bother, mbox2 will do the job and I quoted them accordingly. The show is a simple vocals over backing tracks on CD. However I have a feeling they will turn around when the recording is done and say that the vocals are too low or the backing tracks should be louder in certain songs or whatever. I explained to them that I won't have any control over the mix if I record the stereo foh mix.

I was thinking that alternatively I could group all the vocals onto a bus and record that in on the 1st input L. Then take a mono mix of the backing tracks in on input 2 R. Obviously this would give me seperate control over the two sources. Only flaw is that backing tracks are in mono. Another way I could do it is by recording the vocal bus into input 1 L and record a mono mix of the entire FOH mix into input 2 R. Afterwards I could import the backing tracks in stereo into the session from the CD and put the vocals over it. And if anything didn't quite work or sync up I could use the mono FOH mix as a reference or use the FOH mix on it's own if worst came to worst. What method would you use and why? I can see pros and cons for all methods.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Would the desk not have line/xlr outs for each input? Then simple just run them into PT and you would have control over the mix afterwards?

Its just the 1st thing i'd be thinking? Or maybe a splitter?

Syncing up later could prove a headache!

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

The desk has inserts for each input which I usually use for multitracking. But the group / client only want a 2 track recrording due to their budget. Hence my problem.

Well, the inserts would be different to a dedicated line/xlr output.

I can not see them being happy with it and your just going to leave yourself in the firing line. I'd explain it to them again and maybe see if they can increase there budget to do it correctly, or you lower your price to help them out :D

Record the vocals/inst in stereo and match them up to the cd afterwards. If you have to. Problem is, can the desk send you just that to your mbox and leave the b/track in the FOH mix?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

I'm guessing it's a 'standard' rock band?

The real problem will be that the sound you hear at a gig is the sound of the backline and the Foh COMBINED. (taking it that it's not Croke Park or similar)

The bit you're recording , the FOH output , will probably be very guitar light, vocal and keyboard heavy , and totally lacking ambience - especially noticeable at the end of tunes when there's a faint trace of clapping..

Getting 2 thing like you suggest to sync will probably be phase hell !

Gonna be a tough one!

Exactly Paul. Some place might not run everything through the rig.

• Advertisement

The desk does have direct outs for each input but i tend to use the inserts where possible beacuse of the signal path of the desk. The direct outs are post eq and the inserts are pre eq. I explained it to them in depth and they said they understood I can't change the mix. I offered to record an 8 track version of the show for the same price as the stereo recording but they said that stereo is all they want. I explained that 8 tracks would give me a lot more freedom but they were adamant that the producer just wants the show recorded on 2 tracks (don't ask me why). Now all my other interfaces are out on other sessions at the weekend so I've no choice but to go with the mbox2.

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    I'm guessing it's a 'standard' rock band?

The real problem will be that the sound you hear at a gig is the sound of the backline and the Foh COMBINED. (taking it that it's not Croke Park or similar)

The bit you're recording , the FOH output , will probably be very guitar light, vocal and keyboard heavy , and totally lacking ambience - especially noticeable at the end of tunes when there's a faint trace of clapping..

Getting 2 thing like you suggest to sync will probably be phase hell !

Gonna be a tough one!

No it's a basic vocal over backing tracks performance. Just a few handheld mics and a CD backing tracks. So there won't be any backline spill at all. Just pure FOH.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

QuadLeo wrote: »
    No it's a basic vocal over backing tracks performance. Just a few handheld mics and a CD backing tracks. So there won't be any backline spill at all. Just pure FOH.

Ah! still the lack of ambience will be a killer but you might get away with that, though vocal compression will be desirable .
    Rather you than me!!

Ah it's not gonna be too bad. It's just a mickey mouse show. Nothing major. The FOH mix will be the main thing and they want a recording on CD for themselves. I think I'll just do a basic FOH stereo recording and make sure the FOH mix is as good as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Ah, take a stereo line out and record it onto mp3. It'll be luck of the draw and they'll be none the wiser. If they come back unhappy with the results, then you explain again why it was a bad idea.

• Advertisement

That's not a bad idea. I think i'll record the tape outs onto mp3 recorder and then do it my own way with splitt vocals / backing tracks and see which turns out better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

All they want is a Stereo Mix...

Why don't you just record it whatever way you need to within the budget specced and mix it down giving them the finished 2-Track stereo recording.

That was my plan. To record all the channels I needed and mix it down to stereo. I got a call from the producer this morning. I found out that he wants a stereo recording of the gig to walk away with after the show. So it's either mini disk or mp3. No time for mixing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

What venue is it?

Draiocht I think.

Advertisement