Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baked beans question

• 19-05-2008 7:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how much the nutritional value of baked beans is affected if you drain / rinse off the sauce. Is the salt and sugar reduced by much?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It would be. The sauce contains the sugar, just like ketchup is tomato, vinegar & sugar. It would also remove most of the salt. There would be some natural sugars in the beans which is fine.

I rinse beans myself, it is an very cheap way of getting beans, other tinned or dried beans are relatively expensive, just because of economies of scale.

I rinse and put on a few spices, or leave the sauce on and put in spices too. You can rinse and mash and have them in place of potato with other dishes.

Some asian shops can have cheap tinned beans/pulses. There is a new shop in blackrock market, Indian guy running it, had indian, chinese, philipino, arabic foods, all at good prices and a great selection. Had big tins of chickpeas pretty cheap, lots of catering sized stuff.

Tesco also do sauceless kidney beans cheap, great for chilli.

I got a great tip in the veggie forum.
    Buy the beans dry and then keep them in the frezzer.
    Even if you buy in small quanitys in the supermarket.
    It works out way cheaper than buying tins and you can control the salt.

Advertisement