Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

song ericson k850i.Is it anygood?

• 19-05-2008 8:03pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey
    Was thinking of buying this phone over the weekend,was just wondering if anyone here has it?and if so is it a good phone?would ye recommend it?

cheers :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

hey,
    ya it's definitely worth buying. had it before i upgraded to the iphone and couldn't have been happier with it. the camera is top notch.

i would invest in a memory card, but these are much cheaper these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

ya its definately a good sorry excellent phone!!! I'm undecided on whether to get the iphone or this. im leaning more in this sony ericcson direction

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

this is touch screen as well I think :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Davexirl

I upgraded from the K800i because I was very happy with Sony Ericsson but this time I am not that happy, I am very dissapointed with the camera, any picture I take at night with the flash on it comes out too white or else just black. I thought the camera was much better on my K800i than the k850i. I have had the phone off for repair twice. Once cos i dropped it and smashed the screen (which was my own fault) and the second time because the touch screen buttons started pressing on their own so the phone was usless. But it came back from repair dine. I wouldnt recommend it, I just think there are a lot better phones out there for the price you will be paying. I am sorry i didnt get the N95 instead back in November when I bought the K850i.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Davexirl wrote: »
    I upgraded from the K800i because I was very happy with Sony Ericsson but this time I am not that happy, I am very dissapointed with the camera, any picture I take at night with the flash on it comes out too white or else just black. I thought the camera was much better on my K800i than the k850i. I have had the phone off for repair twice. Once cos i dropped it and smashed the screen (which was my own fault) and the second time because the touch screen buttons started pressing on their own so the phone was usless. But it came back from repair dine. I wouldnt recommend it, I just think there are a lot better phones out there for the price you will be paying. I am sorry i didnt get the N95 instead back in November when I bought the K850i.

this seems to have happened to many k850 owners - reading the K850i thread on avforums put me right off buying it. I got a k800i instead as a stop-gap until the black n82 comes out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Im awaiting delivery of a k850i from ebay. Wish I hadnt read this thread now. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

spec wise its great, but i heard its pants as it has A LOT of issues

Best bet is the K800i
    Has all the bells and whistles, and its still the best camera phone on our market imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

Pity the C902 isnt out,its the same as the K850i but its thinner

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I already have the k800,great phone,did the k810i ever come out over here?

The K810i never came out over here.

If you get the K850i, you should get the latest firmware which makes it a lot better, and there should be new firmware coming in a few weeks which may have the face detection feature on the camera.

• Advertisement

hmm,I'll probbly still get it id say,try it for myself.any other opinions?

Yeah goto carphonewarehouse or an o2shop and give it a try.
    The semi touch screen takes a bit of getting used to.

I have the SE K850i for 6 months now and its a nice phone, and buy your memory cards online, the MicroSD is nice and cheap now

I actually have a 1gig card I brought for my k800,would that fit into the k850i?

Yip the K850i takes both an M2 (from your K800i) and the MicroSD cards
    (though not at same time)

billbond4 wrote: »
    The K810i never came out over here.

If you get the K850i, you should get the latest firmware which makes it a lot better, and there should be new firmware coming in a few weeks which may have the face detection feature on the camera.

Theres a few posts on that thread linked above saying the latest firmware significantly decreases battery life. Have you noticed any issue with it?

Yes there was an issue in a previous firmware version, I have R1EA037(latest) and the battery issue is fixed in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

i bought one last Saturday and so far, so good :)

Really like the phone. Have been a loyal Nokia owner for the last c.10 years and this is the first time i've gone to a different brand (my last phone was an N70).

Haven't looked at any of the photos i've taken on a pc monitor yet, so i reserve judgement on cam quality. Also, have noticed that the right touch button seems a little unresponsive when unlocking the keypad. Not sure if it's just the way im pressing.

Can't give a complete judgement after only a few days, but am certainly giving it a thumbs up based on initial impressions

How much did you pay for it?what shop did yo get it in?

CtrlSource wrote: »
    i bought one last Saturday and so far, so good :)

Really like the phone. Have been a loyal Nokia owner for the last c.10 years and this is the first time i've gone to a different brand (my last phone was an N70).

Haven't looked at any of the photos i've taken on a pc monitor yet, so i reserve judgement on cam quality. Also, have noticed that the right touch button seems a little unresponsive when unlocking the keypad. Not sure if it's just the way im pressing.

Can't give a complete judgement after only a few days, but am certainly giving it a thumbs up based on initial impressions

Yeah I thought touch keys were unresposive until I updated the firmware,so there is an option to make them vibrate when you touch them, so it makes them feel more responsive.

Oooo thats a nice feature alright. I just read it has something called smart dial, like if you start tapping in someones name e.g. 533 for lee, it will start searching the phonebook for any entry with those numbers. Clever.

• Advertisement

Yeah thats a nice feature too.

I use Opera Mini a lot, and you can have a shortcut to it using the shortcut key too, nice little feature not on the K800i

whats opera mini?and where did you get it?

It allows you to view full web pages, but it shrinks down the size of them and corresponding the data you use.
    Goto mini.opera.com using your phones own web browser and download the application (currently 4.1)
    Its very good

ah ya,sounds cool,must get that,when I get the phone :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Yeah I thought touch keys were unresposive until I updated the firmware,so there is an option to make them vibrate when you touch them, so it makes them feel more responsive.

Is your K850 unbranded? I've an O2 branded 850,on the latest firmware,even went through the update process out of interest but that option for the touch buttons isn't available for me.
    Does yourself or anyone out there know if that option is unavailable in certain circumstances.

BTW software loaded....1200-4400
    R1CA037

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Pansy Potter

whats the best place to buy this phone?

Is your K850 unbranded? I've an O2 branded 850,on the latest firmware,even went through the update process out of interest but that option for the touch buttons isn't available for me.
    Does yourself or anyone out there know if that option is unavailable in certain circumstances.

BTW software loaded....1200-4400
    R1CA037

You have the second oldest Firmware for the K850i, in R1EA031 the option of vibration of the touch keys was introduced.
    I debranded my phone when I got it from davinciteam.com cost about 10e. btw you will loose EVERYTHING on the phone when you debrand initially,so you should take a backup of the phone ( also have your SIM card and memory card out of the phone when you debranding,just to be safe)
    Once you debrand your phone you can use the SE Update Service (for free) to get later releases, with new functionality and bug fixes.

whats the best place to buy this phone?
    I got mine from O2 online, was very quick, they were giving away a free digital photo frame with it a while ago

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

How much did you pay for it?what shop did yo get it in?

Paid €195 (on upgrade) in the O2 store on Henry Street

Hmm, interesting. i've got used to them a bit more. Will think about updating the fw if i'm still having an issue

• Advertisement

195€ is good, I paid 280€ for it when it came out in December.

Advertisement