Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American Gothic- The Smashing Pumpkins

Options
  • 19-05-2008 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

American Gothic;

I love this EP so much. I have to say that it really is a treat, that a band would release some new material while still touring their most recent album (Zeitgeist). It was so exciting and interesting to hear these new songs & maybe get a clue to the next direction that the band will take musically.
    There were many rumours prior to this release, but I think most people who had any interest in it would have heard that it was going to be an acoustic interlude from their current more rockier sound. And indeed it was. This is one rock band who really know how to do "acoustic" well. This is such a gem of an EP.
    It starts of with what is my favourite of the 4 songs;

1. The Rose March
    This is a quiet & emotive song. Billy is singing in 'quiet-mode', something that seems to come so easy to him and is so easy for anyone to listen to. The acoustic guitar on this song seems to be oozing sentiment & really fits the sound of the song. Billy sings this song as if the listener & him are the only 2 people in the world. You would have to be made of stone to not feel for/with Billy while listening to this song. The songs theme is one of love & loss and yes sadness. They played this live in the RDS in Dublin in February and it was one of the best songs of the night. With songs like this, I can see why they released it. One of my all time favourites.

2. Again, Again, Again (The Crux)
    Song 2 is a way more uplifting tune, in music & lyrics. There is one thing that I do think about this song & I would love to know if anyone else thinks so? This is the ONLY Smashing Pumpkins song since they got back together that seems to remind me of Zwan? Especially "Come With Me". Everytime I hear this, it always reminds me of that, now I'm not saying its a bad thing, but I cant decide if its a good thing either? Now I loved Zwan, but my heart lies with Smashing Pumpkins-past & present. So maybe this was just something that happened when they began writing acoustically again as Zwan was essentially acoustic. But even so, I really do like this song alot, but I think I like the other 3 more.

3. Pox
    This is a great song. It is acoustic but also its rocking! I love the fact that the sound of this song is unmistakably Smashing Pumpkins. Its got a dark-side to the lyrics & the deep sounds of the guitar & drums really work well on this song. This song has attitude & strength and like The Rose March could easily have been included on Zeitgeist. Billy has a message that he wants to get across & does so in his lyrics very well. I could go down that road but I think these things are often best left open to an individuals interpretation and that is something that Billy really has a talent for. He can put a message out there for everyone to hear & think about in their own way. Genius really!

4. Sunkissed
    The last of the tracks on this EP and it really is a lovely song. Its a very strong sounding song with some very catchy lyrics. After hearing it once, I was humming "if i'm gonna live,if I'm gonna live without you...." all day! The theme of this song seems to be very along the lines of The Rose March, more of love, Life & loss all mixed in together. I have to say though that I do love the way that Billy can often mix the themes in his songs so seamlessly, in such a way that you dont even realise it. The opening guitar of this song is very powerful, I find myself being "taken away" when I listen to it. It seems to stir up images of a dusky summers evening for some reason and when you hear Billys voice begin, I find it a very powerful image. Its actually quite a simple song but very beautiful and individual. Another favourite, yes he has "saved the best for last"!

All in all, American Gothic is an amazing EP, to me it just seems like its the extra songs that they just couldnt fit on Zeitgeist as all of these songs could easily have been put on the album. Of the four songs, The Rose March is by far my favourite & to hear it live was just amazing. But I also love the fact that as they were touring Zeitgeist, they had wrote & recorded enough new material to release this. It really is inspiring and its a very positive message on the future of the band. They are back & definetly here to stay. I give American Gothic 5 stars.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

jus downloading it now,it better be good,it's costing me 2.49! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭rebeldiamond

punchdrunk wrote: »
    jus downloading it now,it better be good,it's costing me 2.49! :D
    Hey punchdrunk!
    You will love it, I'm sure! Let me know what you think when you've had a few listens to it! I hope my (lengthy ;) ) review will make a lot more sense then!
    Enjoy! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sparkzter

RebelDiamond,
    Well done on your detailed and most accurate account of this desireable EP. I love most of Billy Corgans work but never managed to communicate properly the intracacies of his brilliance. This is a clear understanding of these 4 songs and I'm sure Billy would agree entirely with your observations. Do some more plz! You have my attention!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Bugg

Love this EP, incredible songs. Was hoping this song would be included though:

Would loved to have heard a studio version of it, pity they only played it live, best song Billys written since they reformed IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

does it make up for the awful zeitgeist?

• Advertisement

Ssshhhhh!

Now, now!! ;) Theres no need for that! I happen to love Zeitgeist! Please, just give it some time, its such a grower, but I find that a lot of people dont like it initially but if you give it a chance it will definetly grow on you!! I promise!!
    But I do think that American Gothic is excellent and if you listen to that alot, it may open the door for you to enjoy Zeitgeist even more!! :)

Ssshhhhh!

Exactly!! Thats what I was thinking!!

PS- LOVE your user name! :)

Bugg wrote: »
    Love this EP, incredible songs. Was hoping this song would be included though:

Would loved to have heard a studio version of it, pity they only played it live, best song Billys written since they reformed IMO

OMG!! I absolutely LOVE "99 Floors"!! I cant believe you do too!! Its such an awesome song and it would have been perfect on 'American Gothic' but maybe it will appear somewhere in future. A studio version of this would be amazing.
    Billy & Jimmy have said recently that they were thinking of changing the way that they release music/albums and that instead of releasing an album all in one go, they were thinking of releasing songs here and there all along the way? So that would hopefully give songs like this a chance- even as a b-side, I'd love for it to be out there!
    Anyway, thanks for reading my review, I hope you liked it!! And also. thanks for the link to the video! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭sparkzter

I actually just read on the Smashing Pumpkins site that this EP is being re-released on iTunes again if you're interested!

http://www.smashingpumpkins.com/pages/news/american-gothic-back-on-itunes

• Advertisement
Advertisement