Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacement screws for hymer main doors

• 19-05-2008 8:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭

The door on my Hymer will be the death of me, I'm telling you . . .

I spent the best part of last year in various email conversations that were along the lines of "the hinge looks a little like this, but with 3 angles in the top and two in the bottom" . . . "no, not quite that one, a little different" until I finally gave in and got in touch with Hymer UK and shelled out (including postage) the best part of €100 for 4 hinges. Yes, an average of €25 a hinge just because I couldn't describe the blasted things via email (even with photos) and none of the shops I tried around Leinster had anything even vaguely resembling a stock of hinges. There was only one hinge broken but I reckoned they would all have taken a little extra strain as a result of compensating for the damaged one for the past year or so.

I fitted them easily and the door closed smoothly for the first time in many years.

Then I gave a loan of the van to a friend and the first thing that happened was that one of the old screws which had been in use for the last 15 years sheered off and the door fell off. Aaaaaaaaargh. Just to add to the joy, because he wasn't familiar with the way the hinge attached to the door, he drilled holes in my brand new €25 hinge and effectively broke it. Did I say Aaaaaaaaargh ?

So, here's the current state of play and here's where I'm hoping someone can help me . . . I have enough hinge bits to work with, but I'm missing some screws. I tried various other screws, but either they are too short and won't grip the washer (and so don't work) or else they are too long and stick into the door and damage it.

Does anyone know if there is a part number table I can check ? I have the part number of the hinge (which shipped without screws) and the vehicle serial number.

Alternatively, does anyone want to buy an old perfectly working Hymer Camp with one slightly used door ?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

z

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Snap!!! I had similiar problem on my old Hymer swing, found some screws in a drawer or somewhere, cant remember exactly...You could try Maynooth motorhomes who have a good bit of stock. I know the have a Hymer Swing in stock at present so at least they'd know what you're looking for.
    Failing that I'll give ya €50 for her ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

No joy for Hymer parts list (not even in German)...I could get you a Hymer credit card no problem :D.

Got any pics of the affected screw and its position ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Here's a few photos - one (screw.jpg) of a close up of the screw, with a 1c coin beside it for scale, and another (hinge.jpg) with a view of it in the hinge. in the door.

I will get out anf take another one with a view of the hinge in the door shortly.

z

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

ahhh ..so it's some sort of sliding nut in a groove that the screw goes into.

That screw looks like a normal machine screw to me. (M4 possibly?)

You should be able to get that in any hardware shop, no?

Maybe get one that's a bit longer and cut it to the right length, if necessary

If all else fails, you could always cut a bigger hole into the grove on the frame (where the hinge isn't), slide in a normal nut, move it to behind the hinge and screw in a normal machine screw.

You'd have to measure things first though, but that looks like a possible fix if you can't get the Hymer screw anywhere.

Here's a photo of the door, with the locations of the 4 hinges outlined by the red boxes.

z

• Advertisement

I'd suggest a few M4 button head bolts about 8-10mm long, Shoud be able to find them in a hardware or possibly motorfactors. Then get "gutter bolt" nuts (the square ones) and slide them into the groove. Put some thread lock on them and tighten the up.

Thanks for the help. I got myself some M4 bolts yesterday, but they are too thin by a significant factor. At least I now know that there is such a thing as M4, M6, M8, etc . . . so I have something to go on.

I also bought myself a hacksaw, so once I find the bolt that fitted but was too long I can just cut it to length and things should be dandy.

As you may be able to tell, DIY isn't one of my strong points . . . I can fix your computer, and do a few other things, but get me to try something with nuts, screws, bolts, etc . . . and you're in for some fun.

z

Must be M5 so. One tip before cutting, screw on a nut all the way, once cut unscrew nut and it should fix any imperfections in the thread and make it easier to install.

Advertisement