Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joining parties

Options
  • 19-05-2008 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of joining a party. What does it mean really?

Do you start out as a volunteer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

You join, then you canvass, go to meetings etc.

It is different depending on the party.

Small parties tend to have less social events and be more policy orientated (Progressive Democrats, Greens), while bigger parties tend to have less (meaningful) policy discussion, but better social events (Fianna Fail, Fine Gael, Labour).

If it's one of the bigger parties, you just join the local branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Just bring your opinions, they're more likely to be heard in a smaller party but good ideas will be relayed and listened to in FF/FG/Lab too.

There will always be people in the big 3 who have the same opinoins as you (no matter how different from party policy they are). Best idea is probably look at who you would vote for in your constituency and approach them about joining.

One thing I'll say about FF is that it will take a new direction under Cowen, which will be more grassroots based and have a lot less to do with what the media wants unless the 2 happen to coincide.

Enday Kenny has resurrected FG, but I don't see him doing much more with it and their front bench people like Varadkar and Hayes put me off (though I had time for Hayes when he was younger and less bitter)

I always respected, and continue to respect Ruari Quinn more than Rabbitte and Gilmore, though Gilmore comes bottom of the list.

Caoimhghín is enough to put me off SF, though the local guy in Limerick is alright to talk to and a lot more realistic and "normal" than some of his canvassers.

If I had to be a member of one of the smaller partys, I'd pick the PDs, not that I particularly like Tim O'Malley or would welcome Fiona running in my constituency, but I respect that they have vision, and whether you like what Mary Harney is doing or not (I do), you have to give her her dues for actually DOING rather than talking about something.

Advertisement