Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

midi control?

Options
  • 19-05-2008 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭

hi guys, just recently bought a novation bass station keyboard, its a little gem of a synth and i'm real happy with it but i want to sequence it using midi. at the moment i just have a pc running reason 3 and i know that reason unfortunately does not provide midi out which is a shame, so i'm basically looking for advice on what kind of hardware sequencer to get. i just want to get something pretty cheap that can do the job. or would i even be better off using some software program that provides midi out and if so any software suggestions? oh and i was considering getting a roland mc303 for the job. just seen one go on ebay for less than €100.
    all advice welcome thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

get yourself cubase, reaper, etc.
    don't go down the hardware sequencer route unless you want to be very limited in what you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

jtsuited wrote: »
    get yourself cubase, reaper, etc.
    don't go down the hardware sequencer route unless you want to be very limited in what you can do.

cheers, i think i will stick the software route, whats the story with reaper? i've never heard of it before, is it free? and also i am in the process of buying a roland SH-101, could you recommend any midi to c/v converters? nothing too expensive hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭bedbugs

jiltloop wrote: »
    whats the story with reaper? i've never heard of it before, is it free?

Read about it at www.reaper.fm

It's not technically free. The trial runs infinitely with a nag screen at the start. However, it's only $49 to purchase the licence. About €30. I bought it, just because it's great to see the regular updates to the software every week. The guy works very hard at it, so deserves a payment (despite the fact that he invented WinAmp and tonnes of P2P tecnologies and is now minted)

Sure download it! It's really capable. Even has audio to video functionality. Drag and drop functionality for inserts and send. And the routing possibilities... I could talk all night!!

c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Had a snoop around and found this for midi-cv - not many people making these anymore!

http://www.kentonuk.com/digital_interfaces_converters/midi_cv_converters_extras/prosolo.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

?? Not many people ever made MIDI to CV converters...

Reaper is fab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭jiltloop

thanks for all the help guys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Reaper is fab like a big hat on ladys day. But Cubase has depper midi functionality.

Advertisement