Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q6600 - are they all G0 stepping now?

Options
  • 19-05-2008 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm thinking of building a new system based around the Q6600 processor and I've been reading that the best ones to overclock are the ones with G0 stepping. Since neither Komplett or Dabs specify exactly what stepping their processors use I'm wondering if Intel are still making the older B3 version and if there's any way to guarantee I'll get the right one? I'll probably buy all the other stuff off one of these so would prefer to just get the processor too.
    Hope someone can help!
    Thanks,
    Timmaii

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Look at the TDP rating:

105 Watts = B3

95 Watts = G0 stepping

The Model number also changes from SL9UM for the B3 to SLACR for the G0. The SLACR part should be on the box at the end of the PROD CODE#.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭skuzzb

G0 came out last july/august anyway so most of that stock would have been replaced by now on most online stores.....

As a matter of interest is there really that much of a different in the overclocking ability? I thought the B3 could still reach 3.2 on a decent board!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

I got a B3 last year and got it to 3.2 but it does get quiet hot. Under full load it was hitting 70degrees. That was too hot for me so I brought it back down to 3.0. The GO stepping will run quiet a bit cooler at 3.2 maybe up to 20 degrees depending on cooler abd therfore will be more stable.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭timmaii

Thanks for the quick responses.
    Yeah, the power rating is down as 95W on Komplett so I was thinking it would be the G0 version alright. I'm not going to go too crazy overclocking but even the reduction in power should allow me to run fans a little quieter etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Obviously depending on boards, ram and cpu the results vary alot. For example, on a 650i i couldnt get a b3 past 2.8ghz, on a x38 i got to 3.2, on a x48 i got to 3.6 and on a 780i i could banzai run at 4.2ghz before a nuclear melt down happened. But 3.8ghz was more then stable, although seriously hot (68c-75c)

• Advertisement
Advertisement