Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to start my own business

Options
  • 19-05-2008 9:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I graduated from college (Hons Biology) in September and have been working in the QA office of a food company since. My role involves dealing with customer complaints and product quality issues.
    It's an OK job, sitting in an office 9-6 every day, never out in bad weather and 99% of my work is conducted over the phone or via email.
    I get paid €24K a year (the same as everyone I graduated with, and we are working in numerous industries) and when I am bored I either go on the net or make tea. However this job really doesn't motivate me- I could work my ass off for weeks to resolve a tricky complaint for a customer and there is never any thanks. Plus I am chained to my desk all day- I envy our sales reps being out and about! My Sunday nights are filled with dread over going to work on Monday morning. I know it's called "work" for a reason but there has to be something better than this!

So I am exploring other options. I have trawled though the job websites but if you don't fancy being a lab rat or working in a call centre there isn't much out there. I have been thinking of starting my own business. While I would miss the social aspect of seeing the same people every day in work it would be great to be able to have my own hours. I have been considering either becoming a driving instructor or maybe doing hair extensions. Unfortunately the driving instructor option needs a minimum of 2 years clean full licence which I don't have yet. The hair extensions option looks good- hair extensions are big bucks (people will pay 400-600 which works out at about 250-450 for a few hours work for me) and I wear them myself and enjoy them. And there would be job satisfaction! I would need to go on a training course first though and they are very dear- some were upwards of 700-1000 for a 1 day course!

Has anyone got any other ideas of jobs I could do? My mother minds children in her own home and has a great time, the kids are in school most of the day and she loves fussing over them when they come home.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Starting a running a business is tough .... and I mean really tough.

It's not impossible though and really enjoyable.....but you have to do the research, do the figures, check out the market and competitors and then commit to it 100%.

That nice cushy 24K your on will look like alot of money after 3 months, while you're trying to establish your business.

Put together your plan, it's part of the preparation, work towards a date in your mind, and take one step at a time. 'Use' your existing job (and salary) to prepare for your business set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

First step: do a "start your own business" course - you'll be able to find one from your local county enterprise board, bank, etc e.g. http://www.bankofirelandstartupcourse.com/

Advertisement