Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lease on rental house

Options
  • 19-05-2008 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭

Im moving to dublin from galway where the rental agreements are very relaxed. just give a months notice (a week in some cases) and you can leave.

I was looking at houses on myhometolet.ie and there seems to be a year long lease required on every house i looked at.

If I moved in January and wanted to move out in April do I have to pay the remaining 8 months rent? So far down here it has been a handshake with landlords so I need to know as much as possible about what trouble i can get into over signing a year long lease.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Me and my family were renting a house for a couple of months while ours' was refurished, and it was just and oul handshake, possibly because the landlord lived next door to the house and he only lives around the corner from our own home, more trust maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

there are relaxed enough ones going around, check daft.ie
    noticed a place in Finglas clearly stating flexible letting in what appeared to be a nice enough house.

otherwise you can make arrangements with landlord, if (which seems to be the way now) not much interest, then they will keep themselves from being hit finanvially for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Under the Residential Tenancies Act, you can nominate someone to replace you for the rest of the year. They would of course have to be acceptable to the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭jimmay

You can move out in April alright without having to pay the remaining years rent. If you do however you are unlikely to get back your security deposit (normally equal to one months rent) from landlord unless they're exceptionally sound. This would go toward the time and hassle of getting in new tenants. This will normally be the case. If you did get a pernickety landlord threatening legal action the mere mention of your rights under the tenancy board to get lodgers yourself to fill out the remaining time as the above poster said will send them back pedaling as they normally like to vet tenants themselves. Hope that helps.

Advertisement