Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bought Crashed car from dealer

• 19-05-2008 10:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

Just found out today that a car I bought from the main dealer has had extensive respraying done. I bought this car from the main dealer 2.5 years ago, it is the same brand the dealer has the franchise for, so not a backstreet car dealer. They never disclosed that the car had been crashed/repaired.

Have I comeback?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

2 and a half years ago is a long time which doesn't help

Name and shame the dealer and don't tell us you'd rather not say. What, do you have sense of loyalty to them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Just found out today that a car I bought from the main dealer has had extensive respraying done. Have I comeback?

How did you find out might i ask?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

ok, they are XXXXX, I am in the process of trading in the car and always had the car serviced by XXXXX, when I showed it to a BMW dealer today they immediatly noticed it had been respayed down one side(door and wing).

I'm furious that a main dealer would sell a damaged car and mention nothing to the buyer. needless to say I'll be visiting them tommorow..

MODEDIT: Name removed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

micmclo wrote: »
    2 and a half years ago is a long time which doesn't help

Name and shame the dealer and don't tell us you'd rather not say. What, do you have sense of loyalty to them?
    Don't name and shame yet until he can approach the dealer and demand a good trade in price against something else. If this car has been in a bad smash any dealer will cop on to this and the car would be worthless against a trade in.

My ma found out several years after buying a mini (old model) that it was written off by an insurance company after a serious crash. It was a private sale so she could do little about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

2.5yrs is borderline - you'd need proper legal advice on this one.

AFAIK they don't have to tell you unless you specifically ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I'd agree on getting legal advice. 2.5 years is an awful long time.

I'd also advise further not to discuss this topic or name names until the matter is resolved.

Things said in anger now could harm your case.

I've removed the name from your post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

thank you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the repair could have been to remedy something as simple as a scratch to the wing and door, or it could have been something more serious. the work may have been done before the original owner traded the car in, or it may have been done by the garage themselves,
    you also need to find out how much the BMW garage is pulling your trade in price back by as a result of the repair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

A friend of mine got one side of the car resprayed cos the previous owner parked beside a bush all the time and there was a few scrapes on it.

Respraying doesnt automatically mean crash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The car may have also been damaged and resprayed before it was even sold as new. This happens quite alott in the trade and was only discussed recently on Boards.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055278840&highlight=damaged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Seperate wrote: »
    A friend of mine got one side of the car resprayed cos the previous owner parked beside a bush all the time and there was a few scrapes on it.

Respraying doesnt automatically mean crash.

+1

Had the whole front end of my Corsa resprayed because some put a nice big scratch in the middle of the bonnet. Got both wings, wing mirrors, the bumper and bonnet done. Car hadn't been crashed to my knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Churchy

Just found out today that a car I bought from the main dealer has had extensive respraying done. I bought this car from the main dealer 2.5 years ago, it is the same brand the dealer has the franchise for, so not a backstreet car dealer. They never disclosed that the car had been crashed/repaired.

Have I comeback?

Less anger , more knowledge m8.

Extensive respraying isnt a wing and a door.
    2 panels resprayed dont mean a crashed car.

If some toe rag keyed your car on 2 panels - would you want it virtually unsaleable due to stigma of it being crashed?

Has the bonnet been painted? If not thats a good sign of no front end impact.

They don't have to disclosed if it was crashed/repaired, even it they knew about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

hellboy99 wrote: »
    They don't have to disclosed if it was crashed/repaired, even it they knew about it.

*gets popcorn and easy chair*

*watches hellboy99 dousing himself in petrol*

Jumpy wrote: »
    *gets popcorn and easy chair*

*watches hellboy99 dousing himself in petrol*
    I'm only saying what is known to many out there, it was even on TV a few weeks back about it.
    Why not go and do a bit of reseach first before posting stupid comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Off topic slightly, but how much would it cost to get an entire car resprayed and what places offer this service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Why not just go back to the dealer you bought it from and see how much he gives you on trade in.

Off topic slightly, but how much would it cost to get an entire car resprayed and what places offer this service?
    Depends, does it need full or just outer body for a start, here's a good place for you in Dundalk, Co. Louth if your ever about:

Joe McArdle

Linenhall st Dundalk Co. Louthicon_phone.gif(042)9334059

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

I had most of one side of my car resprayed because of a one inch scratch which went through to the metal, I was told it was to blend it in.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement