Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you think

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

enthrophy

Awesome.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I can't believe the "not believing something = faith" has come up again...
    But no more responses to this here, please.

The OP has an interesting topic going on so lets stick to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

I hate to be Mr. Negative, but will people please stop pretending they know the answers. At the present moment, the answer to every single one of those questions is "I don't know". (From any perspective, scientific, philosophical, etc.)

There's no shame in admitting that. Sure it might be fun to debate them philosophically, but then that's an issue for the philosophy forum, not the A & A one. (I hear it needs the threads...:D....ssshhhh.)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

iUseVi wrote: »
    Sure it might be fun to debate them philosophically, but then that's an issue for the philosophy forum, not the A & A one.
    It's not an 'issue' - just a discussion. And it's staying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

Dades wrote: »
    It's not an 'issue' - just a discussion. And it's staying.

Fine be me, all I'm saying is that people should be warned that the "answers" are not really answers. Even PhD scientists are no more speculating at this stage, as I'm sure they would admit to.

Another point to discuss. People are all to eager to equate atheism with science and logic, which doesn't bother me in the slightest. There's no need to be a scientist to be an atheist, or visa versa. ( I happen to be one, as are many other atheists I know.)

It is not clearly obvious IMO, that question of the the beginning of the Universe and such can ever be answered by science. That's not to say I am advocating filling in the mystery with religious nonsense however. For myself I am content with "I don't know!", but that's not to say we (as a species) will never know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

JimiTime wrote: »
    'Don't know' is not atheist. 'Atheist' says that you do know that there is defo no higher power.

No, that isn't what an atheist says.

An atheist says that the human invented concepts of a "higher power" (ie gods) are just that, human inventions, with no grounding in reality. If there is a higher power you guys don't know what it is. You made yours up. Your "higher power" is invented, by humans for very human purposes and needs. If there is an actual higher power or intelligence that is purely coincidental.

Am a die hard atheist and I have absolutely no trouble with the possibility that some intelligent entity created or caused the creation of the universe, or created or caused the formation of life throughout the universe. I see absolutely no evidence or this at all, so at the moment I do not consider it a likely explanation, but it is certainly possible and I would be fascinated by any evidence that did point to that. I find the idea of life creating other kinds life fascinating, particularly as humans are getting close to that point ourselves.

Atheism is not the rejection of limitless realm of what we do not know with regard to these higher powers, it is the reject of what you guys claim to already know about it

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Here are some facts.

1. There is more than one religion to choose from.

2. There is more than one version of god contained in these different religions (fundamental differences)

3. The only evidence for any of these religions is found within their own versions of holy scripture. (evidence for the claims of divinity, there may be some limited evidence that there might have been historical figures or events that may correspond to the religious claims)

4. All religions claim that their version of events are correct

5. Most religions reject the gods of all the other religions

6. If the Hindu version of religion is true, then the christian version is necessarily false (they are incompatable)

7. There is no objective reason to believe in christianity rather than Hinduism other than personal faith.

8. No religious doctrine has ever given an explaination for any material event or process that is more accurate than the best scientific explanations that we have today.

Atheists look at these facts and conclude that even if there is a god, we have no idea what it is like, and so there's no point in believing in it (it would just be blind speculation)

Advertisement