Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Shocks - likely to be under warranty?

Options
  • 19-05-2008 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,891 ✭✭✭✭

The auld lads 06 Grande Punto is making noises that very much suggest the rear shocks are going, just wondering if they're likely to be covered by the warranty or not? They're not *really* 'consumables' in my eyes and the car has 4 years/unlimited mileage warranty on it as far as I know. My local Fiat dealers closed for renovations at the moment so I can't really drop in and ask them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

MYOB wrote: »
    The auld lads 06 Grande Punto is making noises that very much suggest the rear shocks are going, just wondering if they're likely to be covered by the warranty or not? They're not *really* 'consumables' in my eyes and the car has 4 years/unlimited mileage warranty on it as far as I know. My local Fiat dealers closed for renovations at the moment so I can't really drop in and ask them.

Check the terms and conditions of the warranty or ring another Fiat dealer.

I would image that shocks are classed as "consumables" in the same sense as tyres, batteries or light bulbs and as such as not covered under warranty.

PS, remember to replace both shocks on the same axel at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,891 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Warranty details are away in another building with the owner of the car, will give the dealer it was bought from a buzz tomorrow as I can't think of another one I'd trust to tell me the time of day right (bad experiences with a few Fiat dealers!).

Doesn't really matter much to me if they are or aren't, obviously, however the father seems convinced they should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd say it depends on the mileage on the car. unless it's very low, I don't think you have a case.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The auld lads 06 Grande Punto is making noises that very much suggest the rear shocks are going

Explain the noise and why you think the shocks are at fault.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I'd say it depends on the mileage on the car. unless it's very low, I don't think you have a case.

About 70,000k - I'd argue it was low for a car in my family :D

Looks like not a chance, ah well. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Try anyway, you might have had more of a chance with the supplying dealer, don't know how helpful a Fiat dealer that never made money out of you will be on warranty work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I'd doubt shocks at 70k would be covered under anyones warranty.

crosstownk wrote: »
    Explain the noise and why you think the shocks are at fault.

Thunking noises from the rear on bumps that are exactly the same as what I've had in my old VAG ages back when the shocks were going (and similar to my own Fiat but that was front suspension damage...), as well as generally poorer ride quality than before - he's noticed it as the daily driver, it was more markable for me when I drive it once every few months max.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The noise could be the bushings on the swinging arm of the suspension too. On older puntos, these were a common fault (particularly on irish roads), but not that expensive to put right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

I got all four done when the two fronts were going. Not that much extra for labour as its already up on the ramp and good for piece of mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

craichoe wrote:
    I got all four done when the two fronts were going. Not that much extra for labour as its already up on the ramp and good for piece of mind.

Did it cure the problem?

alias no.9 wrote: »
    The noise could be the bushings on the swinging arm of the suspension too. On older puntos, these were a common fault (particularly on irish roads), but not that expensive to put right.

Its going to be up on the ramp anyway so can get that taken a look at...

Grande Punto and Punto are two very different cars though!

Grande Punto and Punto are two very different cars though!

The rear suspension is pretty much the same though?

Advertisement