Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MBNA credit card APR

Options
  • 19-05-2008 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭

I wasn't sure where to put this ,more of a heads up than anything else.

I got my cc statement today and i noticed the interest charged was quite high.

No where on the statement does it give the APR just the monthly interest rate which was 1.45 % this comes out to 18% APR.

They increased the rate from 10.9% to 18% this month.Now they could have notified me,probably did.

The upshot was i rang them asked how come rate was so high they said no problem sir we will bring rate back to 10.9.I did not even have to ask for this she just offered it straight away.

I wonder how many people they would catch out with this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Don't they have an introductory rate for the first six months.

Just curious did you have to get "excited" on the phone to get the rate brought down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Same happened to me last year when I changed from MBNA to AIB, when I called to cancel the lower it to be the same or very close to AIB and also offer free interest for the next mew months.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

Gillo wrote: »
    Don't they have an introductory rate for the first six months.

Just curious did you have to get "excited" on the phone to get the rate brought down.

I had the 10.9 rate for the last 3 or 4 years i got that by ringing and saying i was moving to another cc company.

I didn't have to get excited to get them to reduce the rate .In fact i never actually got to ask then to reduce the rate .I simply said why did the rate go up by so much he said it was just a general rate increase but he could reduce to the 10.9 if i wanted.I said OK .The whole call lasted less than 30 seconds.

The point of the rate increase, in my opinion, is to catch people out who might not look at there statements carefully

Advertisement