Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Eeek!....

Options
  • 19-05-2008 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭

I feel so silly on this thread, I know nothing :p

Ok, I'm looking to buy my first car. Got my loan approved today. I have spotted a car I like and as long as it's still in the garage tomorrow when I call, I would like to move forward with it. I've already called the AA to inquire about an inspection, but I'm wondering does anyone have any advice for a first-time buyer such as myself?

Any hints/tips? Any pitfalls in particular to watch out for? And what sort of questions should I be asking the dealer?

Sorry for such a broad inquiry! Really appreciate any help as I like to know what I'm gettin myself into :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

What car and what price are you paying?

Don't buy a car, buy a motorbike :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Its a 2002 Volkswagen Polo Comfortline, 1.2L, 60,000 miles, and the price is 6950 euro

My bf showed me how to work out its worth on the VRT website, and it seems bang on, but then again, I dont wanna get scammed :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Try to bring a mechanic or a mate that knows his stuff about cars before you hand over any cash. Car dealers are like sharks, i.e they are always on the look out for prey and are ready to make a killing as soon as new customer walks in the door. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It's due a major service including the cambelt at 60,000, make sure this has been done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Anan1 wrote: »
    It's due a major service including the cambelt at 60,000, make sure this has been done.
    It is also worth asking for a full service history. A good mechanic could also tell if the clock had been docked or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

I presume if I'm paying an AA mechanic to do an inspection for 350 euro that they'll spot these things?? :confused:

I don't know anyone too heavily involved with cars, so I really want to be on the ball when doing this. I figure they could spot a newbie a mile away :p

Anyone have any opinions as to what's a decent length of a warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Alicat wrote: »
    I feel so silly on this thread, I know nothing :p

Ok, I'm looking to buy my first car. Got my loan approved today. I have spotted a car I like and as long as it's still in the garage tomorrow when I call, I would like to move forward with it. I've already called the AA to inquire about an inspection, but I'm wondering does anyone have any advice for a first-time buyer such as myself?

Any hints/tips? Any pitfalls in particular to watch out for? And what sort of questions should I be asking the dealer?

Sorry for such a broad inquiry! Really appreciate any help as I like to know what I'm gettin myself into :D

Okay, i just want to say this, dont be afraid to walk away. It sounds silly, but it's a buyers market and there are so many second hand cars for sale, you should be buying the best possible car, with full service history and everything in check. It's just that i know a lot of people who get, well, excited, and just dive head first into these things. Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭seamy_orr

At that price I'd say its still way overpriced. Don't rush in just because you have the funds and would really like a car straight away. If I were you I'd look for a low mileage polo up north for around €4k and pay the VRT which will be in and around €1250. You make a saving of at least €1500 esp. which is a lot when you have to borrow it. Also don't listen to anyone who says buying up north is hassle, its as easy as changing the name on an ownership cert on an Irish car.
    Also be very aware that Garages can't shift 02 polos these days and consider also the fact that you will find it very difficult to resell this same motor next year (7 year old 1.2 car) so I wouldn't go borrowing too much for it.
    Play hard ball and best of luck...

Advertisement