Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speed writing

Options
  • 19-05-2008 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭

Ok so, test next week, and in geography and english Im fooked. Im geo, we have to write a page in 12 mins 4/6 times, not sure which, and in ebglish we have three full questions to do, each at least 3 pages, in two hours. Any ideas oon how to write really fast? In the crimbo tests I knew everything but I just couldnt put it down fast enough. Help needed fast!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭disssco

Amphetamines.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Practice I guess. Don't be too precious with your gloriously perfect handwriting, either. Of course, you want it to be legible, but half a page of beautiful calligraphic script isn't going to get you the marks.

(Also, 1 page in 12 minutes isn't too short a time, for English paper 2, I'm guessing it'll be at least a page every 10 minutes. It depends on your style of course, some people are more verbose.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭dip

^ same as pfm.

I always see people in tests handing up sheets of perfectly neat writing and then complaining they didn't have time to finish the test.

Think about what you're writing, not how your writing looks; half-scrawl but make sure its still punctuated and legible (You don't want the examiner to be in a foul mood before he/she even starts correcting) dont waste time using Tippex, just cross out your mistake,put brackets around it and move on.

Some pens 'write faster' than others. Try out different pens, often plain new bic ones aren't the best as the ink doesn't flow as well as others, and if you find a pen that you can write fast with..buy more for the exam :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

History is the only subject where I ever struggle for time when writing.

My hand is often aching after history tests. Ridiculous the time limits in the subject.

If you know your stuff, why not be allowed an extra 20 minutes to show what you know and look over your exam carefully ffs!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭KERPAL

Anabolic steroids

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

I hate English. I just can't write fast enough. I always need to stop and think about what I'm going to say when I write my essays and this ends up taking so much time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Just makesure you get down the main points. Practice questions at home, and have in your head what you should get in in time, and then if you have extra time at the end of a question add in other minor points before you conclude.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭gaybitch

Did anyone else find themselves strapped for time in Business? In the mocks I was, and I was surprised. With English and History it's to be expected, but scribbling a last long question in five minutes in Business was an eye-opener.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

gaybitch wrote: »
    Did anyone else find themselves strapped for time in Business? In the mocks I was, and I was surprised. With English and History it's to be expected, but scribbling a last long question in five minutes in Business was an eye-opener.

Yeah business was never really a subject I thought about in terms of time. It was the first time I ever did a full paper though. I luckily got all questions answered but I had to really cut out any extra details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

They really give you more than enough time for the exam so you really shouldn't have a problem. Like someone suggested, try different pens and don't use tippex.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Fuascailt

Use inky pens, they really do work. You dont have to put as much pressure on the page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Parsley

And don't forget that in the real LC, the pages will be shorter because of margins on both sides! So it'll be easier... Mebbe.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

write down the ways

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I have the opposite problem.. Way too fast...

My advice is make points at the top of your page and then write around them. That way it can shorten "thinking" time.

Advertisement