Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland-Serbia

• 19-05-2008 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭

Well maybe we can talk about this game if anyone interested,i see noone was mentioning it so far so i will.
    This is list of players of Serbia who are invited for games against Ireland 24th,against Russia 28th and Germany 31th

Goalkeepers: Vladimir Stojković (Sporting Lisbon), Vladimir Dišljenković (Metalurg Donetsk), Damir Kahriman (Konyasport)

Defence: Antonio Rukavina (Borussia Dortmund), Pavle Ninkov (Crvena zvezda), Marjan Marković (Dinamo Kiev), Gojko Kačar (Herta Berlin), Branislav Ivanović (Chelsea), Nemanja Vidić (Manchester United), Slobodan Rajković (PSV Eindhoven), Ivica Dragutinović (Sevilla), Aleksandar Luković (Udinese)

Midfield: Dejan Stanković (Inter), Nenad Kovačević (Lens), Milan Smiljanić (Espanyol), Dejan Milovanović (Crvena zvezda), Saša Ilić (Salzburg), Zoran Tošić (Partizan), Zdravko Kuzmanović (Fiorentina), Stefan Babović (Nantes), Boško Janković (Palermo)

Strikers: Nikola Žigić (Valencia), Danko Lazović (PSV Eindhoven), Marko Pantelić (Herta Berlin), Milan Jovanović (Standard)

A lot of new younger players and some standard players aren’t invited for this time,well anyway its just training period so result isn’t important and to invite all the best players.We have 9th most expensive team in Europe judging by transfermarkt informations,Ireland is 13 th in Europe but even we have huge quality and expensive team we just don’t have that team spirit and when they are playing together they look like bunch not interested school boys comparing to playing in their clubs,I just don’t get whats wrong with them,motivation or some rivality I don’t get it,anyway those players aren’t same as they are when they play for clubs.For this game against Ireland I think Ireland will win it…..aining period so result isnt

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

This was always going to be a bad game.Result isnt important we just want a good performance jibberish.

We did however beat the mighty Lagos 3-1 tonight.

Ireland 2-1 Serbia, with about 53 substitutions, Less than 10 shots, 5 yellow cards, and a ''We will win the world cup, Sure Trap's a legend attitude'' after the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Lagos 1-3 Republic of Ireland
    Monday, 19 May 2008

Giovanni Trapattoni tasted victory for the first time as Republic of Ireland boss after telling his players to dream.

The 69-year-old Italian saw his side ease past Portuguese minnows Lagos 3-1 at the Estadio Municipal a day after they drew 1-1 with Liga Vitalis side Portimonese, and was happy to see his first few days on the training pitch come to fruition.

Ireland face Serbia and Colombia in friendlies next month as they prepare to launch their World Cup qualifying campaign in Georgia in September.

Trapattoni knows there is much hard work to be done, but has reminded his players of Greece's unexpected success at Euro 2004 as the perfect motivation for the task ahead.

He said: 'I am a simple man and I dream always. I said to them today in the hotel, we have a dream, we have belief because four years ago, Greece was like Ireland - more or less.

'I am happy because I saw they realised my ideas. I told the players, "We have to do that, we have to do that, we start the game like this", and they did that.

'I am happy about that. I am extremely happy when they put into practice the ideas I have communicated to them.'

As promised, the Italian made full use of his squad, which had been boosted to 22 by the arrivals of Cardiff City midfielder Stephen McPhail and Carlisle United goalkeeper Kieren Westwood, with every player having now tasted action in Portugal.

Manchester-born Westwood made a vital late save to deny midfielder Vitinha a second goal for the home side.

Trapattoni made four changes to the side that started Sunday's 1-1 draw with Portimonese as keeper Joe Murphy, Glenn Whelan, Darren Potter and Andy Keogh got the nod.

But where they had laboured at times in Portimao, Ireland had already gone close twice through Keogh and Paul McShane when they took a ninth-minute lead.

Skipper for the night Damien Duff pulled a corner to the edge of the box for Whelan to send in a left-foot volley, which defender Uriel could only help into his own net.

Duff forced a 27th-minute save from keeper Toco and Kevin Doyle glanced a free header across the face of goal seconds later, before Potter extended his side's lead on the half-hour with an audacious chip from 25 yards that Toco could only palm over the line.

Duff clipped the outside of the post with a curling left-foot shot nine minutes before the break, and then chipped wide with just the keeper to beat within seconds of the restart.

Stephen Hunt hit the post as Ireland threatened to cut loose, but Lagos dragged themselves back into it when captain Marco Carmo stabbed home Vitinha's 52nd-minute cross from close range.

However, Keogh restored his side's two-goal advantage after Duff had carved his way into the penalty area three minutes later and substitute Daryl Murphy was denied a fourth first by the post and then by defender Diogo on the line with 17 minutes remaining.

So there you have it.

Sounds like Duff had a fairly decent game was instrumental in a lot chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Crapjob Sean

Does this clash directly with Dustin (fingers crossed) in Belgrade of all places?

It puts a Dublin man in a tough position.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

Lagos????:D
    Who the hell plays for them?:D

Lagos????:D
    Who the hell plays for them?:D

Well Milan are rumoured to be in talks with them to buy their captain Marco Carmo for 5 million. Story here

• Advertisement

Is he a striker?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Crapjob Sean

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Well Milan are rumoured to be in talks with them to buy their captain Marco Carmo for 5 million. Story here

Gearing down for the UEFA, interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Nemanja, wooooahhh, Nemanja, wooooahhh,
    he comes from Serbia,
    he'll f*ckin murder ya,
    Nemanja, wooooaahhh!

Anybody goin to any of these matches?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Going to the Colombia game. Not expecting to be entertained. But do hope to see some sort of system starting to gel and get a look at some of the new players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

Does anyone think that maybe Ireland and Finnan may just turn up for this game and play?

Maybe Trap said he would give them the training camp off,cause most of our good players didnt even go on it?

• Advertisement

Dont know about situation in your team but here they saying like Ireland with Trap is looking forward to get a serious team who will be prepared to reach World Cup.Nice words but its same they say for our team and somehow that story about finnally getting good playing team is always nonsence:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

You look confused gustavo!

The Nemanja thing was about Nemanja Vidic

The other thing was asking if anyone's going to any of the matches

DaveMcG wrote: »
    You look confused gustavo!

The Nemanja thing was about Nemanja Vidic

The other thing was asking if anyone's going to any of the matches

Maybe folks dont know Vidic's name?:D:D:D
    You have my respect:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Apologies if this was done already, but my brother sent me a link to predict Traps first 11 against Serbia, to win trip to the away games in montenegro and georgia.

All well and good. I didnt put alot of thought into it an fired 11 players onto it and sent it off only for this to pop up on screen.....so they must clearly know traps first 11 already seen as he wont have actually picked it 'til 3 Days later!! :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭RefulgentGnomon

Well Milan are rumoured to be in talks with them to buy their captain Marco Carmo for 5 million

His first name is an anagram of his second name...interesting...
    Not as good as the palindormic Leon Noel who played for the Liverpool youth team a few years back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Yep I'll be at it. Hopefully there is a good noisy atmosphere to mark Il Traps first game.

There needs to be a song for him.

I am very optimistic. Spirits seem high in the camp. I have been even more impressed by the beginning of Traps reign than I thought I would be. He is sharp. He is alive, and seems really focused on the job in hand. This match against Serbia will be a great test as they have many very good players. A performance is more important than the result.

I think he will start with Keogh up front with Keane, although I would love to see him experiment with Doyle on his own with Hunt(McGeady probably won't start, Reid and Duff behind him. Then Whelan and Garvan in the middle would be perfect.

Dunne and McShane need to be partners in defence for this game. Zigic and co. are bound to be an excellent test for them. If we can keep a clean sheet with them together it would be a massive plus going into the games in September.

So yeah very excited. Would love McGeady to start, but anyway it appears evident that McGeady is the player that Trap is most impressed by.

Oh and this Trapattoni connection might give way to a McGeady move to Serie A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Anybody know which hotel the Serbian players are staying in?

I would love to try and go get a photo with Nemanja Vidic!

I see Vidic is getting so popular now,more than ever:D
    Anyway i think it wont be hard to keep clean sheet for Ireland judging how we are playing lately,i still think we need some coach to finnally make some team of these school boys,i supose,Ireland will win it easily,any news about Serbians on that game,as i know they wont be there

Mikeyt,come to visit me,Vidic will be here over summer so you can see him in the city and without problems or some fanatics around nicely to ask for photo:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Anybody know which hotel the Serbian players are staying in?

I would love to try and go get a photo with Nemanja Vidic!

How many times you asked that now? Three or four?:p

Anyways, not going the game. Prices for tickets are a joke so I don't see a point in going.

Wouldn't be surprised if Vidic gets a sing song on Saturday:rolleyes:

I see Vidic is getting so popular now,more than ever:D
    Anyway i think it wont be hard to keep clean sheet for Ireland judging how we are playing lately,i still think we need some coach to finnally make some team of these school boys,i supose,Ireland will win it easily,any news about Serbians on that game,as i know they wont be there

Mikeyt,come to visit me,Vidic will be here over summer so you can see him in the city and without problems or some fanatics around nicely to ask for photo:D

Honestly its our second choice back four(other than Dunne) so really Serbia if they play their first choice strikers should be getting some goals.

Plus with McShane at the back anything is possible.:D

I know from your judging from a Serbian perspective( like as you say they play horribly as a team) but I honestly would be delighted with a clean sheet more than a 2-1 win for example.

We are missing a lot of our first choice, as I would think Serbia will as well so I think it will be very even game.

• Advertisement

Or better to say boring game,thats what i expect

Or better to say boring game,thats what i expect

Yep...although once I see Stankovic play I will be happy. Probably a nil all draw most likely result but maby we could get a vibrant display of wonderful attacking football....:rolleyes:

Stankovic? Than watch him in Inter mate,he never played decent game for national team,i dont know whats with him,like he is different guy

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Stankovic? Than watch him in Inter mate,he never played decent game for national team,i dont know whats with him,like he is different guy
    A bit like Robbie Keane then eh?

To be honest i wasnt watching Keane for Ireland so much so i cant be sure,Stankovic is definitly sh!te when he plays for national team and you will see that

Heres one web page i am using for all kind of informations,its very good,i am watching news,rumours,results,infos of every game of some main leagues in Europe but its in German and i still think its not so hard to see what you want on it and easy to understand it,i like this part about curent transfer value of every player:D
    Example you can see how high ranked are Ireland and Serbia
    http://www.transfermarkt.de/de/nationalmannschaft/6/europa/uebersicht/menue_nationalmannschaft/kontinent.html

SantryRed wrote: »
    How many times you asked that now? Three or four?:p

Anyways, not going the game. Prices for tickets are a joke so I don't see a point in going.

Wouldn't be surprised if Vidic gets a sing song on Saturday:rolleyes:

I think its 4 times...

And not 1 time have i been answered.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I think its 4 times...

And not 1 time have i been answered.:(

If I knew I'd tell you mate:D

It'll probably be one of the posh ones in town. I live near the airport so if I hear there staying at any of them I'll post up here.

Thanks.

Nemanja must be wrecked anyway as i heard he was the last one to be on final night. Then flight from Moscow > Manchester, Manchester > Dublin, 1 day of training and then a match.

Would love to see an Irish win. I went to see I, Keano last week and recently watched "Rising Sons" on the 2002 World Cup so if we played well and won my faith would be fully restored :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Is this game live on tv?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

6-0 to Ireland, goals from Messi, Maxi Rodriguez, Crespo, Tevez and Cambiasso on the score sheet...

Oh wait, wrong national team... We can all dream I suppose.

Our tv wont broadcast this game coz of eurovision.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

off to the game now.... via the boozer for the Chmapionship playoff and Heiniken cup final!

come on Trapps, as long as its not a 0-0 i'll be happy :)

Its on Sky Sports 2 from 7.30 for those that want to know.

Republic of Ireland: Kiely (West Brom), Kelly (Birmingham City), Dunne (Manchester City), McShane (Sunderland), Delaney (QPR), Duff (Newcastle United), Miller (Sunderland), Whelan (Stoke City), Hunt (Reading), Keane (Tottenham Hotspurs), Doyle (Reading)

Delighted to see Delaney getting his chance. Always thought he was a good player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Hopefully this means something to the poster who asked the question a week or so ago.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56034539&postcount=13202

I believe that was Mickey:)

Vidic Wont Be Playing Tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

anyone know anywhere i could watch the game online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Or listen on the radio?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

im sure you'll find a stream via sopcast.

Any score yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

nope..not much action either..well aside from Il Trapp going ape on the sideline! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Duff wrote: »
    nope..not much action either..well aside from Il Trapp going ape on the sideline! :p

things must be bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

OPENROAD wrote: »
    things must be bad

Not many chances at either end, keane had a shot cleared off the line, thats about it..

Ah... sporting life have minute by minute updates: http://www.sportinglife.com/football/popup3/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

dublindude wrote: »
    Ah... sporting life have minute by minute updates: http://www.sportinglife.com/football/popup3/

can listen to it online here - http://www.fai.ie/matchday/

draffodx wrote: »
    can listen to it online here - http://www.fai.ie/matchday/

Nice one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

They're showing it on tv here. Go figure. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Wake me up when September ends

• Advertisement
Advertisement