Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9 pin female to female serial converter

Options
  • 19-05-2008 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows where I can get a 9 pin female to female serial converter. I've try a couple of computer shops around town but haven't been able to find one.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Why would you want a 9 Pin(F) to 9Pin(F) converter?

Would you not achieve that by using a standard 9 Pin Female to 9 Pin Female Serial cable?
    :confused:
    -

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

i know a shop in waterford that sells em....its the place opposite the tower hotel on the mall...e15

if u need it for what i think u do make sure its a null modem cable and not an rs232....there is a difference

Typhoon. wrote: »
    i know a shop in waterford that sells em....its the place opposite the tower hotel on the mall...e15

if u need it for what i think u do make sure its a null modem cable and not an rs232....there is a difference

If it's for one of them Typhoon? then he's on the wrong track altogether ;)

He is incorrectly identifying the port on the machine or is trying to convert a 9 pin male to 9 pin female standard serial cable which won't work.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

I suppose what I really need is a usb to 9 pin Female serial cable but I haven't found one of them either, so I was Just trying to convert my USB to 9 pin Male Serial cable. If that makes any sense!

emc2 wrote: »
    I suppose what I really need is a usb to 9 pin Female serial cable but I haven't found one of them either, so I was Just trying to convert my USB to 9 pin Male Serial cable. If that makes any sense!

Are you sure you don't mean a USB to Serial 9 Pin Male Adapter?

Maplin Part # ZP43W

OR:

Google a seller on FleaBay called "Cablestar" they have a very good deal on the USB to Serial Adapter plus the 9 pin F to 9 pin F NULL Modem cable for €10 delivered to Ireland. (Excellent quality & fast delivery)

-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Are you sure you don't mean a USB to Serial 9 Pin Male Adapter?

Maplin Part # ZP43W

OR:

Google a seller on FleaBay called "Cablestar" they have a very good deal on the USB to Serial Adapter plus the 9 pin F to 9 pin F NULL Modem cable for €10 delivered to Ireland. (Excellent quality & fast delivery)

-

Excellent just order one from Cablestar, thanks a lot.

Excellent just order one from Cablestar, thanks a lot.

Enjoy ;)

Just be aware that when you receive the product that the CD disc is one of those small ones & is nicely hidden between the 2 pieces of cardboard in the packaging (Don't accidentally throw it out :) )

Be aware too that when you are installing the USB adapter that there are up to 3 different drivers to install (depending on your system). A lot of people do the install and can't figure out why it's not working. Right click My Computer & choos Manage & then go into Device Manager to update the port by right clicking it & choosing update (Then point it to the CD) until it is fully installed.

Depending on what you are using it for? you may also need to set the port number in order for whatever you are connecting to it to communicate successfully, here's how to do that:

How to change the COMM. Port number in Windows.

Do the following.

START
    Right Click "MY COMPUTER"
    Choose "MANAGE"
    In the resulting window, click on "DEVICE MANAGER"
    In the right hand pane, click on the little plus sign beside "PORTS" in the right hand pane.
    Right click on the USB Adapter (Should be something like “USB Serial Port COM #" or "Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm. Port (COM#) or “Communications Port” (COM #) )
    Choose "Properties"
    Click on "PORT SETTINGS" TAB
    Click on "ADVANCED"
    Then you will see the COM Port Number Box. You should be able to change it there using the drop down box.
    Try to set it to COM2
    Restart Windows (If necessary but normally not required)

Make sure to set the COM Port number in the software on the device you are trying to connect to, to the same port number as what you have it set to in Windows (ie. COM 2).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Why did you not just make one? All you have to remember is that pin 2 and pin 3 and switched when you solder it to the second female connector.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Slightly off the point, but can someone explain why you cannot get a USB to 'older' parallel (multipin) converter?? I have an old scanner which I only used very rarely but now I have no pc with a parallel port.... so it is redundant...

Thanks, Barry

BarryM wrote: »
    Slightly off the point, but can someone explain why you cannot get a USB to 'older' parallel (multipin) converter?? I have an old scanner which I only used very rarely but now I have no pc with a parallel port.... so it is redundant...

Thanks, Barry

Are you talking about something like this?
    http://www.misco.ie/categories/~wci~1502~/USB%20-%20Parallel%20Adapters.html

-

• Advertisement

Looks like the thing, but the guy in my local shop said you cannot run a parallel through a USB - which seems logical, at least in terms of actual connections, does it not?? apart altogether from the protocol/standards issues.

At €26 it seems worth a try, the ould scanner has both male and female parallel connections - jaysus life was simple in those days ;)

Thanks, Barry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Looks like the thing, but the guy in my local shop said you cannot run a parallel through a USB - which seems logical, at least in terms of actual connections, does it not?? apart altogether from the protocol/standards issues.

At €26 it seems worth a try, the ould scanner has both male and female parallel connections - jaysus life was simple in those days ;)

Thanks, Barry

And you could make baby printers whenever you wanted :p

Thanks, Barry

Just got this back from Misco -

"Dear Customer,

I am sorry but its designed for printers only. I cannot confirm compatibility for use with scanners. "

I subsequently heard it isn't fully parallel, i.e. doesn't provide full ack/noack on all the pins..... so it may not (probably will not) work for an image device using twain.....

Bye, Barry

• Registered Users Posts: 22 worsel

I know this is an OLD POST ..But i came accross it- when Looking for Similar Item....
    Thought this might Help..
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/startech-com-usb-to-parallel-db25-cable-5CB6.html

Advertisement