Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever recorder with plug ins switched on?

Options
  • 20-05-2008 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

Well I have read in a few places that some producers do this in order for the artist to feel like he is playing with a very sweet sound?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

Yup I do it if im scratching guitar tracks with a sim. You need a nice bit of power to do it with a fully bloated track though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

make sure you have plenty of processor power, and as little latency as possible.
    better to have them tracking to a dry sound than tracking to a sweet sound that keeps on dropping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

sweet advice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 800 ✭✭✭dabhoys

Can be done, but if you get your stuff sounding good on the way in then you won't have to do that :)

Sometimes I will do some few bits and pieces on the returns to the board but will try to get it good to tape as can be.

I do know this one engineer who swear by the Digi Focusrite Red EQ and he tracks vocals through it and records it down!!! He likes the sound and he's been around a while and he's stuff always sounds killer...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

dabhoys wrote: »
    I do know this one engineer who swear by the Digi Focusrite Red EQ and he tracks vocals through it and records it down!!! He likes the sound and he's been around a while and he's stuff always sounds killer...

Yeah I am going to but the focus rite red when I am rich!! If it is anything like the plug in I can only imagine how smooth and beefed out the sound is.

Sorry I should have been more specific, he uses the Plug in version!! I don't argue he's stuff sounds incredible!!

So there's nothing wrong with tracking through plug ins or with them on. But need to be carful about delay introduced etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

I have an old zoom 1204 multifx that I put in the headphone signal for a bit of verb/delay, if the vocalist needs it. It's one of the few tasks I don't do in the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

I never do this. Although I have a hardware reverb so that if a singer needs a bit of room to throw their voice into then they can have it. But I've never done it with plugins.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭trackmixstudio

I always try to commit to sounds when tracking. EQ and a bit (or a lot) of compressor goes to "tape". This really helps (me) to get the right sounds to fit in when tracking overdubs and makes the mix easier/faster in the end.
    It is also helpful to the band if the raw sound is good and inspiring when they are tracking.
    I would do EQ/compression through outboard gear and use a bus send inside logic for verb so there are no latency issues.
    For heavily distorted guitars I think it is vital to get the sound to "tape".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

I always try to commit to sounds when tracking. EQ and a bit (or a lot) of compressor goes to "tape". This really helps (me) to get the right sounds to fit in when tracking overdubs and makes the mix easier/faster in the end.
    It is also helpful to the band if the raw sound is good and inspiring when they are tracking.
    I would do EQ/compression through outboard gear and use a bus send inside logic for verb so there are no latency issues.
    For heavily distorted guitars I think it is vital to get the sound to "tape".

This is part of the ToeRag studio discussion we were having yesterday - the idea of committing to your sound - and not leaving yourself a billion options for later.
    Another important aspect, I think, is that if you decide as you go along every other overdub is played in relation to those 'committed' parts . I would argue this benefits the finished product.

Advertisement