Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dig, Lazarus, Dig

Options
  • 20-05-2008 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭

Just thought I'd say, this is probably the best song I've heard for about 4 years. thank you Mr. Cave!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

yeah it's a fantastic song. The album of the same name is really good - my introduction to Nick Cave (not including "Where The Wild Roses Grow")

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

yeah it's a fantastic song. The album of the same name is really good - my introduction to Nick Cave (not including "Where The Wild Roses Grow")

Gonna get it tomoro, can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

I don't think it's all that great but it's not bad. I prefer "more news from nowhere"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

JimiTime wrote: »
    Just thought I'd say, this is probably the best song I've heard for about 4 years. thank you Mr. Cave!
    LOL. Nothing like specifics eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭rowlandbrowner

not "digging" the new album at all. Seen him live recently and I wasn’t too impressed either, he’s really lightened up these days and he and the bad seeds seem to be heading in a very different direction than what originally interested me in their work. I think when Blixa Bargeld left it really signalled the end of that era. I’ve always been a fan of that unofficial grouping of grizzled Australians and their Berlin counterparts like the birthday party, these immortal souls, once upon a time and crime, einsturzende neubauten and crime & the city solution, I just don’t that find lineage is still alive in the bad seeds music, shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

BaZmO* wrote: »
    LOL. Nothing like specifics eh?

Twas Ray LaMontagne's debut i loosely referred to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

not "digging" the new album at all. Seen him live recently and I wasn’t too impressed either, he’s really lightened up these days and he and the bad seeds seem to be heading in a very different direction than what originally interested me in their work. I think when Blixa Bargeld left it really signalled the end of that era. I’ve always been a fan of that unofficial grouping of grizzled Australians and their Berlin counterparts like the birthday party, these immortal souls, once upon a time and crime, einsturzende neubauten and crime & the city solution, I just don’t that find lineage is still alive in the bad seeds music, shame.

I half agree
    While I do prefer his early to mid period stuff and his more recent efforts lack some of the energy of that era I dont think it deserves to be discounted all together. He has consistently produced great music (with some minor exceptions) for nearly 30 years now and even if his recent stuff doesnt match the heights he once reached I dont think you can overly critisise him for it.
    Short of getting him back on gear we wont get the old nick cave back so we should just enjoy the new nick cave for what he is a talented songwriter still preforming at a high level while most of his contemporarys have impolded or are on nostalgia tours.

altough that grinderman album was truly awful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭rowlandbrowner

i wouldn't criticize him, he's given me 30 years of music to enjoy, what he's doing now isn't my thing but at least he's making new material unlike - as you say - a lot of other bands who only exist still to tour sporadically for cash. (...or, did anyone hear the new bauhaus album? ouch! the sound of a bunch of guys who wanted nothing but a final paycheck) i guess he couldn't be King Ink forever or he'd would have simply burnt out by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

JimiTime wrote: »

Id have to disagree, however midnight man. My god. Thats an amazing track. That really is fantastic in its flow and direction - i love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Got that album , not reallyl a Nick Cave fan , but i like the title track , no news from nowhere and Lie down there and be my girl so far :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

haven't got the new album, but I liked "Grinderman" and the double-album. I got into him around the time of "Henry's Dream" and "Let Love In" and really loved the dramatic apocalyptic sound he was doing then (and indeed back as far as "Kicking against the pricks" - greatest covers album ever). Felt he drifted into self-parody with "Murder Ballads" and found the quieter albums he did after that quite dull. He's had a long career with a lot of different phases, but I'm quite liking his current sound - he seems re-energized.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Jimi, you should check out The Boatman's Call and Abattoir Blues/ The Lyre of Orpheus (double Cd). Both are excellent and you can probably get either for around the €10 mark in Tower, Freebird etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

I'd have roughly the same view. I had slowly gone off him after the recent albums. Got Dig,Lazarus,Dig and at first it didn't click with me. I went to see him in Dublin Castle and since then have listened to it again and have to say I would now say its the best thing he's done in a long time. Theres an edge to it which wasn't in recent albums and I reckon if you give it a chance you'll like it.
    loyatemu wrote: »
    haven't got the new album, but I liked "Grinderman" and the double-album. I got into him around the time of "Henry's Dream" and "Let Love In" and really loved the dramatic apocalyptic sound he was doing then (and indeed back as far as "Kicking against the pricks" - greatest covers album ever). Felt he drifted into self-parody with "Murder Ballads" and found the quieter albums he did after that quite dull. He's had a long career with a lot of different phases, but I'm quite liking his current sound - he seems re-energized.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭'Ol Jack Chance

I'm liking this album a lot. We call upon the author is one of my fave tracks, really makes me laugh. title track is good too, its the kind of album you slap on when you wake up and it puts you in a good mood fpr the day!

Advertisement