Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restricted List

Options
  • 20-05-2008 6:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭

I'm wondering why the department went for a "Restricted List" instead of a "Permitted List". Surely anything that they forgot to put on the Restricted List is in theory permitted - if only I can prove a use for that 16 inch gun. It would save a lot of people going through the courts.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Well the restricted list is effectively a 'permitted' list seeing as it describes everything that's not restricted and therefore everything else is.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Welcome to the world of Orwellian doublespeak:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Kareir

If i recall right, it does say "(This list is non-exhaustive)"

I presume this means anything not mentioned is still restricted?

_Kar.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Nope, it doesn't say that. What it does say is:
    Firearms other than those to which subparagraph (2) relates are declared to be restricted firearms for the purposes of the Act

Subparagraph (2) then describes firearms which are not restricted.

So anything not listed in that subparagraph is restricted.

Advertisement