Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

building advice needed [Extreme QX9650]

Options
  • 20-05-2008 7:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hi all i am planing to build a system around a Extreme QX9650 cpu,
    i have never built a pc before but i have a bit of a clue as to what i am at.

Looking for a middle of the road setup that will be good for casual gaming and surfing the net and usual day to day stuff.

please note i can not change the cpu

so hit me with a list of what i need and where to get it cheap.

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

the QX9650 is not a middle of the road cpu, its one of the fastest commercial cpus out at the moment. Do you already have this cpu ? If not you can save a fortune by finding a Q6600.

Ah right you cant change it. Okay and you want to keep it casual.

Get a 750i nvidia mobo, dosent matter which brand they are all the same really. Fast little mobo too.
    2/4gb of half decent ram, ocz, geil, corsair etc etc
    A 8800GT or 8800gts will be more then enough for most games. And they are dirst cheap at the mo.
    A decent cooler will be needed for4 the cpu too, the stock one will actually do, but its not the quietest thing around.
    A nice 500-600w psu from a known manufacturer.
    The rest like the case and such are up to you.

Sorry for the rushed reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You could build a considerably powerful machine for the price of that CPU alone - in all aspects, games, casual, encoding - so I would be curious as to how you ended up with that CPU in the first place if, to quote yourself, "i have never built a pc before but i have a bit of a clue as to what i am at." :D

It's a monster and worth almost (in fact, probably is) as much as my main games machine. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

you could always sell the QX9650 on adverts and then get yourself a q6600 or q6700 and still have a couple of hundred left over for yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

MooseJam wrote: »
    you could always sell the QX9650 on adverts and then get yourself a q6600 or q6700 and still have a couple of hundred left over for yourself

Exactly what he should do..

You could build a decent pc for the €500 or so you would get on adverts for it..

With Anti's advice you could get this..

agjaon16vluc8nfhhwm_thumb.png

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

if you're stuck with that and want to part ways with processor as anti advised i might take it off your hands for a reasonable price. Even if you're still interested in building a computer I have parts i could trade you as well that would be more suited to your needs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭fatboymsport

thanks for all the replys but i can not sell the cpu and it cost 0 euros :D (and the answer is no i dont have anymore) so i want to build a nice home for it.

so starting with motherboard and case what should i look at and where??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

take yoru pick of many places.

www.komplett.ie
    www.scan.co.uk
    www.yoyotech.co.uk
    www.overclockers.co.uk
    www.dabs.ie
    www.peats.ie
    www.hardwareversand.de ( only take bank transfer, no credit cards )

The list is almost endless.

i forgot to say i am a tight git so i like cheap :D

i'll have a look through that list thanks

what should i be looking for in a case and motherboard for the above cpu

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

if you want to keep it as cheap as possible for the cpu cooler go with
    an artic freezer pro cause its cheap or more expensive alternative would be a thermalright ultra extreme 120.
    Graphics is at your digression and depends if you want to go sli or not. That will lead onto your mobo choice but as anti said a 750i would be a nice sli board
    Ram: i just got these LINK cause 90 euros is great value and they're good overclockers also i might pick up another 4gb later on.
    Power supply, i'd advise anything by seasonic as they are very quiet, in particular i'd get a modular one cause they keep your system neat. In terms of what power to go for that depends on your whether you go sli or not. High end cards in SLI and an overclocked cpu would be up needing up to 1000W but I have a 600W version and it does the trick for an overclocked CPU and 8800GTS.
    Hard drive wise I'd go for one or two(If your budget stretches) of these and put them in a raid. LINK
    lastly if your looking for a cheap but great case check out the Coolermater CM690.
    Best of luck:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

decent mobo like p31, p35,x38 750i etc, case with good airflow, room, solid etc..

Hardwareversand are by far the cheapest..

Middle of the road setup with crazy cpu..

9yhlei6sj6r0zv4fqka2_thumb.jpg

http://techgage.com/article/gigabyte_ga-p31-ds3l/7

If your going to do insane overclocking and such, a better motherboard and cpu cooler will be needed, if your only going to do a decent overclock above is fine..

• Advertisement

as far as a cooler goes I got one of these, think it's great http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=343076

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

They're a fantastic chip....very overclockable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

Nforce wrote: »
    They're a fantastic chip....very overclockable too.

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/05/20/intel-release-fast-quad-core

WE CAN ALL BUY ONE WHEN THE PRICE DROPS.

might pick up a Q9550 if thats the case, the others are still a bit too expensive even with a slashing of the prices

HI Sorry to dig up this old thread but as I started it I hope ye all dont mind.

I am finally in a position to start my build here is what i have in mind.

ASUS P5N-D, nForce-750i SLI, Socket-775
    I will be using the QX9650
    Xigmatek Achilles S1284 CPU Cooler
    Corsair TWIN2X PC6400 DDR2 4GB KIT CL5
    Samsung EcoGreen F2 HD103SI 1TB
    Cooler Master CM 690 Midi Tower Pure
    Corsair Powersupply 520W Black, ATX/EPS,
    EVGA GeForce GT 220 1GB PhysX CUDA
    Samsung DVD±RW burner, SH-S223B,

I dont need a monitor key board ect and I will source windws 7 for it.

this will be for genral surfing and day to day use.

Is there anything i should change or up/down spec.

Thanks
    T.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

START the build?!

:eek:

Feck it, fire up that DeLorean and go in the right direction this time!

nForce7: What? Some kind of ancient tribal artefact or something? nVidia chipsets are made of fire and hate. Stick with P45 unless you're a fanboi.

CPU: i7 is now king, and even an i5-750 will outrun the QX9650 if OCd.

RAM: Whatever. Its all insanely pricey now.

HDD: No, no. Get a SpinPoint F3. Those are good :)

Case: Fine. Xigmatek Midgard also good. HAF922 is nice but if its a lot pricier than the CM690 don't bother. Antec 200/300 also good, but really top out around the 95W TDP barrier. That QX9650 is probably a bit on the hot side...

PSU: Fine.

Graphics: You say what?! :eek: Maybe for a non-gaming build but then you'd be better off with a HD4350 for basics and a HD4650 for full multimedia. If you want a gaming card then the HD5750 is a good starting point. In fact, its about as low as you can go if you have a Full HD (1080p) monitor :o HD4770 if you're skint and are at or below 1650*1080.

For general surfing you could pick up a PoS Dell for a pittance. Even if was surfing + gaming I'd keep it to a cheapie AM3 build. The only reason I even played ball with LGA775 is because you already have the CPU...

Thanks for the reply I know its not going to be top spec thats why i was picking cheaper components.

how about this for a Mobo ASUS P5Q PRO Turbo, P45, Socket-775 ???

and this for HDD Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB

Gainward GeForce GTS 250 1GB PhysX CUDA

and btw AMD are German scrap in my eyes so i will be sticking with my QX9650 Built with Pride in Ireland :D

GTS250 ~ HD4770. Only way more hot and power-hungry. You better be paying a tuppence for it... at least you can do ludicrous things with HD5750s with OCing...

Oh yeah, the rest of it sounds good so far :)

can you recommend a GFX card that doesn't use a AMD chip.

what about this
    Point of View GeForce 9800GT 1024MB PCI-Express

can you recommend a GFX card that doesn't use a AMD chip.

... No.

• Advertisement

Fair enough thanks for the Help

Advertisement