Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Powerboat Club is born!

Options
  • 20-05-2008 8:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Last night, Monday 19th May, 45 like-minded people got together to form a new powerboat club in Galway.

The main topic we are dealing with at the moment is the proposed fast craft bye-laws by Galway Co Co.

New members are welcome but must attend meetings to join up

I am going to try and organise a day out on the water this June, possibly on Lough Corrib. Come to the meeting if you wish to find out more

We will have our next meeting:
    Mon 26th May 2008 @ 7PM
    Bow Waves,
    Galway Harbor Enterprise Park,
    Galway
    map.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Best of Luck with your new club. I don't like the idea of people saying boat users can't do this and can't do that. A lot of the time they haven't a clue what they are talking about. It is a good decision to make a club to speak as a group to support boat users.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Personally I've no problem with the proposed regulations. The vast majority of boat owners are responsible and don't speed around close inshore where there are swimmers and fishermen, however there is a small minority who don't give a **** and are a menace. There needs to be some sanction there to discourage these yahoos from irresponsible behaviour. Restricting fast craft and PWCs to a speed limit within 200m of the shoreline is fine, past that they can do any speed they want. Why would anyone have a problem with that?
    On the lakes, there also needs to be some kind of regulation. I've often been fishing when a speedboat or jetski comes really close, or cuts straight across your drift - may as well give up fishing then!
    I'm glad to see a club formed, getting boat owners together may help educate the few idiots about how to drive their boat properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Zzippy wrote: »
    I've often been fishing when a speedboat or jetski comes really close, or cuts straight across your drift - may as well give up fishing then!
    I'm glad to see a club formed, getting boat owners together may help educate the few idiots about how to drive their boat properly.
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

The point of getting this club together is to show that there IS a responsible group of boaters in Galway, and to show that we will NOT be involved/compared to the yob's out there. We are goign to introduce an identificaiton system that show's we are affiliated with a club (I'm already involved in a few in Galway) with responsible members. If someone is behaving in a wrong manner, a complaintant can take down the ID number and contact our complaints officer who will deal with it. If it is deemed that the person WAS acting wrongly, they will be turfed from the club. It's a way of us saying "We are not one of them"

We also plan to hold day's out/bbq's etc. on the water to show that groups of powerboaters can get together and act responsibily, while also being able to part take in a bit of messing when it is safe to do so.

You do NOT have to have a boat to join the club, just have an interest in boating. For our day's out etc. there will be space on other peoples boats. For the BBQ I am organising on Lough Corrib, a passenger ferry can bring you to the BBQ no problems

I will update people as soon as I get info, however to keep upto date you should come to the meeting and sign up and you will be added to the mailing list

Zzippy wrote: »
    Personally I've no problem with the proposed regulations

Neither do I to a certain extent but some of them are pure rubbish. There is a proposal that water skiing can only take place in a navigation channel. Do you not have a problem with this? It's absolutily crazy, the one thing that Training Schools have been teaching for years is to AVOID the navigation channel for this.

The vast majority of boat owners are responsible and don't speed around close inshore where there are swimmers and fishermen, however there is a small minority who don't give a **** and are a menace. There needs to be some sanction there to discourage these yahoos from irresponsible behaviour. Restricting fast craft and PWCs to a speed limit within 200m of the shoreline is fine, past that they can do any speed they want. Why would anyone have a problem with that?

I agree here - Why would anyone need to be within 200m of the shore? The problem is that the 'yobs' of the water feel a need to show off and try to get as close to the shore as possible. This is the 'look at me' brigade, just like eejits with loud exhausts etc. on cars... we are forming a club to show that we are NOT associated with these people
    On the lakes, there also needs to be some kind of regulation. I've often been fishing when a speedboat or jetski comes really close, or cuts straight across your drift - may as well give up fishing then!

There is no need for fast craft to be so close to other boats. Did you get a description of the boat? Did you report it? With our new ID system you will be able to get the reg number (just like a car) and report it to our Complaints Officer.

Yup, the club is open to ALL. Fishersmen/waterskiers/jetskiers etc... The more variety the better as we can get an understanding for each other. We are even welcoming the 'idiots' and 'yobs' in teh hope to educate them, because at the moment we are all being tarred with the same brush which is purely unfair. Last season I clocked up 7500 powerboat miles and added furtehr to my qualifications, yet i'm still being compared to the eejits who go otu and buy a jetski with no clue and cause havok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Neither do I to a certain extent but some of them are pure rubbish. There is a proposal that water skiing can only take place in a navigation channel. Do you not have a problem with this? It's absolutily crazy, the one thing that Training Schools have been teaching for years is to AVOID the navigation channel for this.

Actually yes, that is a stupid one.

I agree here - Why would anyone need to be within 200m of the shore? The problem is that the 'yobs' of the water feel a need to show off and try to get as close to the shore as possible. This is the 'look at me' brigade, just like eejits with loud exhausts etc. on cars... we are forming a club to show that we are NOT associated with these people

Delighted to see it! Its the show-off yobs who give the rest a bad name.
    There is no need for fast craft to be so close to other boats. Did you get a description of the boat? Did you report it? With our new ID system you will be able to get the reg number (just like a car) and report it to our Complaints Officer.

Even if I had got a description there were no regs in place before to do anything about it. With these new regs it might be possible to get some action.

Best of luck with the club, great to see it!

We welcome input from all forms of boaters. Feel free to come to the meeting next Monday, there's no obligation to sign up (currently no charge but as we evolve we will ahve to introduce a membership fee for affiliation to the ISA etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Those laws are the stupidest things ever, has anybody seen the 2 posts at the slipway in Salthill?:rolleyes:

Steyr wrote: »
    Those laws are the stupidest things ever, has anybody seen the 2 posts at the slipway in Salthill?:rolleyes:

They have absolutily no legal binding. They were erected by Galway City Council in an area controlled by Galway Harbor Company. GHC have rights to waters east of Leverits Lighthouse to Silverstand (draw a line between those, anything east GHC are in control of)

Galway City Co. did NOT seek permission from GHC to apply these rules on the water, therefore have no legal binding. I have an e-mail from the Harbor Master confirming this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Tis true
    The 2001 jet-skis by-law is not enforced by the City Council or the Garda on any waters in the city borough. So you can powerboat/jetski all you like

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    Tis true
    The 2001 jet-skis by-law is not enforced by the City Council or the Garda on any waters in the city borough. So you can powerboat/jetski all you like

Except the River Corrib (The natural part). JetSki's ARE banned here, because City Council are in control of this area. However 'Friars Cut' (Top bit of the river) is not in control of City Council (it's artificial - dont know why that makes a difference, but it's not on their map)... but you have to launch on the natural part of the river to get there... d'oh!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

According to the by-law, jet-skis and powerboarts are banned in all waters of the city borough. Thing is, it has never been enforced nor is it likely to be. Nobody has been charged, fined, convicted, even though every warm weeked you will see them on the Corrib near the quinncentenary bridge and beyond.

Maybe we should contact Cllr. P. Conneely?

snubbleste wrote: »
    According to the by-law, jet-skis and powerboarts are banned in all waters of the city borough. Thing is, it has never been enforced nor is it likely to be. Nobody has been charged, fined, convicted, even though every warm weeked you will see them on the Corrib near the quinncentenary bridge and beyond.

Jet-Ski's ARE banned within the city Borough, excluding the sea front east of Silverstrand, where Galway Harbour Company are in control of

With regard to powerboats being banned on the Corrib, that is total RUBBISH. JetSki's ARE banned on the RIVER CORRIB, and I have not seen one on the river in over 2 years - Considering I spend about 5 days a week on the river, I think i'd know

Powerboats are NOT banned on the river Corrib. There is a difference between POWERBOAT and FAST POWER CRAFT

Jetski's are NOT banned on LOUGH Corrib (Except for the part in Mayo)

Maybe we should contact Cllr. P. Conneely?

A photo-shoot by the river, lovely :D

Advertisement