Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

hills, spills and bellyaches

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Monday:
    Running, 5 miles @ 8 min pace,

there's nothing like getting out of work and going for an easy run in the autumn sunshine to restore the spirits :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Nice one cracking 30 for the league showry. Also your LSRS are pretty wholesome, although either too fast or your target is too modest. I'm going to put my dollor on a 3:19 for you on the day ;)

Nice one cracking 30 for the league showry. Also your LSRS are pretty wholesome, although either too fast or your target is too modest. I'm going to put my dollor on a 3:19 for you on the day ;)

Cheers MCOS,
    Seriously, I reckon they're just too fast though. I plan on running very conservatively on the day given that it's my first.

Tuesday:
    Running 8 miles, including club league 1.2 miles,

ran the lap of The Friary in 6:47, chipping another couple of seconds from the PB. Jogged out and back at about 8 minute pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

The long runs seem to be doing your times the world of good showry. PB's every week and 22 @ 7.50 pace. Looking forward to seeing you have a good one in dub.

PS Sosa knows your game - you sandbagging cyclist!

• Advertisement

Wednesday:
    Cycling, 95km,

to/from work, no wind this morning and a bit of a headwind on the way home. I was close to bonking on the return journey despite eating plenty all day. I took a detour back by the coast road as it was such a lovely evening.
    kennyb3 wrote: »
    The long runs seem to be doing your times the world of good showry. PB's every week and 22 @ 7.50 pace. Looking forward to seeing you have a good one in dub.

PS Sosa knows your game - you sandbagging cyclist!

I'm genuinely not sandbagging. I'll be running a very cautious marathon. If I get to the end and find I've loads left and could have gone faster then so be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

showry wrote: »
    I'm genuinely not sandbagging. I'll be running a very cautious marathon. If I get to the end and find I've loads left and could have gone faster then so be it.

Good sensible approach showry but one that might frustrate you afterwards...like myself after Cork.....but to finish a marathon with plenty still in the tank is possibly the best confidence booster a runner can get.

Thursday:
    Running, 7.5 miles, including club league 4.8 miles,

Ran the league in 30:27, no sub-30 this week - a combination of soft ground and bad legs saw to that. I was giving it full gas but the legs weren't responding. I tried to shift up a gear on the last lap but nothing happened. I'm probably just a bit fatigued as well, late nights watching Vincenzo Brown and fretting about the economy not helping :)

Sosa, the ground was a bit soft tonight, another bit of rain before Sunday and you'll have some fun out there. I turned down the chance to race against you :D
    I don't think I'll do Cork to Cobh, will do a 20 on Saturday instead.

Saturday:
    Running, 20 miles @ 7:45 pace,

myself and mon frere again. I felt a lot better than last week, the body was still sore but the head was better.

Monday:

nice handy lunchtime run. I resisted the ideal cycling weather yesterday morning and had a rest instead; thrown down on the couch with a feed of toast watching the world championships - could get used to that. Eventually I got off my ar$e and brought the kids for a walk and cut the grass.

• Advertisement

Sosa, the ground was a bit soft tonight, another bit of rain before Sunday and you'll have some fun out there. I turned down the chance to race against you :D
    I don't think I'll do Cork to Cobh, will do a 20 on Saturday instead.

Underfoot conditions were perfect showry,it was a pleasure,i dont think that i got a true feel of XC...that will wait for another day.

What time does the thursday league start at ?

Sosa wrote: »
    Underfoot conditions were perfect showry,it was a pleasure,i dont think that i got a true feel of XC...that will wait for another day.

What time does the thursday league start at ?

6:30 champ, think it's the last one this week

Tuesday:
    Running 8 miles, including club league 1.2 miles,

Last night of this league, ran the lap of The Friary in 6:51, 4 seconds or so above my best. If you'd told me at the start of the league that I'd have been disappointed with that time I'd have been delighted. Did that last sentence make any sense? My Latvian pacemaker wasn't feeling great tonight and I passed him after about 400m. I had no-one to chase then as the 2 leaders were too far ahead of me. As we came around the last bend he must have found his legs and I heard him coming like a train so I found a sprint from somewhere and held on.
    Jogged out and back at about 8 minute pace.

Thursday:
    Running, 7.5 miles, including club league 4.8 miles,

Last night of the league and 30:59, my slowest night. It was pretty windy but my legs weren't great anyway.

Friday:
    Running, 14.5 miles @ 7:40 pace,

not much fun for a variety of reasons, the chief one being dying for a sh1te for the last 4 miles. I probably should have done a Paula.

Friday:
    Running, 14.5 miles @ 7:40 pace,

not much fun for a variety of reasons, the chief one being dying for a sh1te for the last 4 miles. I probably should have done a Paula.

Happens me on almost every early morning run as I generally get up and out the door straight away. I just make sure I'm running somewhere reasonably secluded and with grassy bits for the first 30 mins ;)

Think that was the least of my problems last night. I got a new pair of runners earlier in the week, my usual ones, but I reckon I might have laced them too tight. The top of my foot was sore running and it's really sore to walk on today. Hopefully it's nothing a bit of rest and ice won't cure within a couple of days. I'm some fecking eejit though if this rules Dublin out

Hows the foot now?

Hows the foot now?

Still quite sore champ. I was talking to a physio and he reckons that it's probably ok to run on it if I can put up with the discomfort so I'm going to try a 5 later on and see how it goes.

Tuesday:
    Running, 5 miles @ 7:30 pace,

the foot was still a bit sore but it didn't really get any worse during the run. It was a fabulous evening for running and I was feeling pretty good. Remarkable how refreshed you'd be after only a couple of days of a break

• Advertisement

Thursday:
    Running, 6 miles @ 7:30 pace,

5 laps of the Friary on the way home from work. An enjoyable run. The foot was still niggling but is a lot better.

Still plenty of time so sounds like it will be grand. What part of the foot is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Hi showry just a quick one, do you have the date for the dungarvan 10 for 2011 in late Jan/Feb?
    Thanks

Woddle wrote: »
    Hi showry just a quick one, do you have the date for the dungarvan 10 for 2011 in late Jan/Feb?
    Thanks

from wwac website

QUANTUM LIFE DUNGARVAN 10

trans.gifpdf_button.pngprintButton.pngemailButton.png
    QUANTUM LIFE
    Dungarvan 10 Date Announced – Same great race, now better value!

West Waterford Athletic Club has announced the date for the 20th Annual Quantum Life Dungarvan 10 Mile Road Race at 1pm Sunday 30th January 2011.
    This is race number 2 in the Munster 10 Mile Classic Series.
    Come run with a legend at this quality event. This is your opportunity to meet and run with County Waterford native, former World Cross Country Champion and Olympic Marathon Silver medallist John Treacy.
    Register early and take advantage of the reduced Recession Buster Fee of €15 until December 17th 2010 after which date the entry fee is at last year’s rate of €20. Closing date for all entries is Monday January 17th 2011 and once again this year there will be strictly no entry on the day.
    Online entry opens on November 1st at www.dungarvan10mile.org

Woddle wrote: »
    Thanks

wot Sosa said Woddle :)
    Still plenty of time so sounds like it will be grand. What part of the foot is it?
    it's the tendon from the big toe down kennyb3, think it'll be grand though, it's definitely on the mend.
    I'm fed up of running though, looking forward to getting back on the bike

Saturday,
    Running, 5 hungover miles @ 7:45 pace,

I had the cycling club agm and the athletics club prize night last night. They were on in the same pub. I had promised myself that I'd be good but got carried away as usual. A gallon of stout later I was cycling across town like Cancellara, bombing up Mary Street faster than I've ever gone up it in training.
    It was a beautiful morning so I went ahead with my planned run anyway; was glad that I did.

Sunday:
    Running, 9 miles, untimed,

another beautiful morning, left the watch at home and just enjoyed the sunshine and the ipod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

good stuff showry, just nice relaxed running between now and dublin
    i take it your foot is grand again?
    say hello when you bomb past me next monday

Tuesday:
    a really enjoyable run in the evening sun; cheered me up no end. By far the most pleasant run I've had in a long time. If I never raced again and did that every day I'd be quite happy.
    SUNGOD wrote: »
    good stuff showry, just nice relaxed running between now and dublin
    i take it your foot is grand again?
    say hello when you bomb past me next monday

Not sure who'll be doing the bombing champ. What are you aiming for?

• Advertisement

Thursday:
    Running, 4.5 miles,

average pace was 7:00 but that was down to a few flat out fartlek efforts rather than a sustained effort. Monday can't come soon enough now.
    Went to the cinema tonight to see the cycling movie, Chasing Legends. The place was full of emaciated looking baldy lads, scary sight for the cinema staff. Cracking movie though. I can't wait to be back on the bike.

Best of luck on Monday Showry....looking forward to the report.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Best of luck on Monday Showry....looking forward to the report.

+1, enjoy it, you've great training put in, don't forget those gels/shoes for the trip to dub!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Have been following your log over the last year or so and just wanted to wish you all the best for monday. I just completed my first marathon in amsterdam on sunday and thoroughly enjoyed myself and went out with intention of running at a comfortable pace and taking the time to enjoy the occasion and still came in well under 3.30. i packed the suitcase with a heart rate monitor, garmin gps and pace band and fuel belt but after thinking things through in the hotel the night before decided against all and just went by feel and 3 gels in the pocket of my shorts. finished the race injury free with a spring in my step and smile on my face and a week later have started planning marathon #2 barcelona in march.
    so to sum up looking at your times, we are about the same level but you have far more endurance/long runs under your belt than i had, so 3.30 is a conservative target but it is a good benchmark to lay down and one you would surely be able to improve upon if you ever decided to do a second marathon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Good luck on Monday Showry I have enjoyed your log!

I dont even need to wish you best of luck, 3.30 will be a stroll. In fact i expect you to cycle home after:D You're in for a great day, have fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭trats

I dont even need to wish you best of luck, 3.30 will be a stroll. In fact i expect you to cycle home after:D You're in for a great day, have fun.

Showry, don't listen to him, It wouldn't be safe to cycle after the feed of beer you'll have on Monday ;).

All the best for Monday as Kenny said 3.30 will be a stroll for you, I might try to take a tow for a few miles

Thanks all,

Saturday:
    Running, 3 miles @ 7:40 pace,

just to turn the engine over. It's a beautiful, crisp, autumn morning though and I just wanted to keep running. It was weird at the end of the run, I got this really strong sense of sadness and euphoria at the same time, probably because it was the last run and I was enjoying it so much. I think I'm getting soft.

I got a good luck message from my uncle this morning which he followed up with "30 years ago today, same course, cheap runners, 2:35, beat that...up and down the same day, bag of crisps before the race and away we went"
    Hardy coots back then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

best of luck showry, i'm sure you're looking forward to a nice warm bottle of phoenix off the shelf to celebrate.

asimonov wrote: »
    best of luck showry, i'm sure you're looking forward to a nice warm bottle of phoenix off the shelf to celebrate.

would that I could Asimonov, it's been a long time since I've seen a bokkle of peenix. I'll be tucking into a few bottles of Dungarvan Brewing's finest Copper Coast or Black Rock hopefully though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Good luck tomorrow Showry, enjoy the race and don't be selling yourself short ;)

• Advertisement

Dublin marathon done and dusted,
    3:15:12 on my watch, my legs are in bits,
    not sure if I can provide much of a race report as it was mostly a bit of a blur to be honest,
    we stuck ourselves midway between the 3:15 & 3:30 balloons at the start with the intention of running 7:40s.
    Neither me or mon frere had a Garmin and we think the first few mile markers were a bit all over the place.
    Miles 1-5 were 7:41, 8:21, 7:31, 7:39 & 7:36 but we could hear the Garmins beeping 30-40 secs before the mile markers so we weren't really sure what pace we were doing. A quick pi$$ in the park and we stepped it up a bit.
    Miles 6-10 were 7:21, 7:20, 7:31, 7:10 & 7:08.
    We could see the 3:15 balloon a couple of hundred metres ahead and we were looking at each other thinking that this was all going to end in tears. My hip was starting to hurt at this stage.
    Miles 11-15 were 7:21, 7:35, 7:17, 7:17 & 7:27. I felt we were running steadier than that though. Other than the hip starting to go beyond niggling I was still feeling good at this stage, the miles were whizzing by.
    Miles 16-20 were 7:18, 7:22, 7:15, 7:24, 7:28 but they weren't starting to whizz by any more and the hip was getting very sore. Any normal person might have stopped and stretched at this stage but I figured if I got down on my back to stretch it I'd never have got back up again.
    From mile 21 onwards the rest of my body was starting to come out in sympathy with it anyway and it was becoming a slog. I had to just keep telling myself to get to the next mile marker. After 23 my brother told me to push on as he was starting to feel it. I felt a bit guilty about it but went up about a half a gear (I was adopting the Marco Pantani mentality at this stage - the faster I go the sooner the suffering ends - but let's face it poor old Marco had lots of drugs to help). I didn't see the markers for 25 & 26 as I was just focussed on getting to the line but the splits were 7:37, 7:20, 7:18, 7:38 & 16:04 for the last 2 and a bit. Nassau street seemed to go on forever. As I got to the line I could see the clock ticking towards 2:16 so I pulled a sprint out of somewhere, completely forgetting that my chip time would be a bit less anyway. Over the line in 3:15:12 with mon frere not far behind on 3:16.
    What a great day though, the atmosphere was tremendous. I couldn't get over the crowds and support along the course. Wearing the club gear really helps as every 100 metres we had someone shouting "Come on West Waterford" or "Up the Deise".
    Heading for a bag of chips and a feed of pints now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Great stuff showry, well done! :)

so much for "just wanting to get around"....

well done sham...well done

so much for "just wanting to get around"....

well done sham...well done

that was the intention Sosa, we just got carried away. Sibling rivalry maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

great result showry, fantastic time especially for a first marathon

Fantastic result showry, jealous as hell. Well deserved and great that you and bro had good one. Harder than a cycle race?

Fantastic result showry, jealous as hell. Well deserved and great that you and bro had good one. Harder than a cycle race?

I'm not sure MCOS, I've been told that I don't try hard enough in bike races so I don't think I'm qualified to make that comment yet :)
    The last 3 miles were up there with some of the most suffering I've experienced though. The difference with the bike is that you know you'll get some respite from the suffering at some point, either on a downhill or in the bunch. With running as soon as you start to hurt you know it's not going to get better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Great running there Showry, well done to you and the bro!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭trats

Well done showry, knew it would be no bother to you.

Great report showry, you certainly got carried away. 3.30 ha!

• Advertisement
Advertisement