Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

hills, spills and bellyaches

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

Friday:
    Running, 5 miles @ 7:30 pace,

legs were still quite heavy after wednesday night so just wanted an easy run to loosen up before the Mallow 10 mile on sunday,

not sure if I'd be better off resting altogether tomorrow or going for an easy cycle or run just to keep the legs loose - any advice gratefully taken on board,

weather looks atrocious for sunday too; between that and the way I'm running I'm not expecting too much from it,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

If i had a race Sunday i would be resting tomorrow.
    Big bowl of pasta tomorrow,crackers and cereal for breakfast on sunday morning and for an added kick...a gel 10 mins before you race.

A few minutes light jog before the race should be enough to loosen you up.
    Also,forget about the weather...what will be will be.

Im no expert,thats just what i would do !

Good luck on your efforts for sub 70...look forward to hearing your result on Sunday.

As yer man in The Waterboy said " you can do it "

Sunday:
    Running,
    Mallow 10 mile road race - 67:07,

very happy given the conditions, very windy,
    the intention was to break 70 but I said I'd see how the first mile went and take it from there, was with another lad from the club with the same intention.
    The first mile was a tough 6:49 into the wind but the next 2 were ok. After 5 we were exactly 33:30 and pretty comfortable. The 7th was the slowest, just under 7 minutes and I wasn't sure if it was the group we were with or just a tough mile but I decided to kick on. The last mile seemed to go on forever. I don't know Mallow at all so had no concept of where I was. I was pretty much out on my feet coming up to the finish so didn't pay attention to the clock otherwise I might have tried to get under 67.
    Plenty of tea, hang sangwiches and fruit cake in the halla afterwards, well stewarded too - very enjoyable race,

split times:
    6:49
    6:47
    6:23
    6:38
    6:46
    6:45
    6:57
    6:32
    6:43
    6:35

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Hey Showry great running, if the wind is as bad as it is up here thats an excellent run. If your doing Dungarvan be sure to say hello.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Fair play to you Showry for racing on such a windy and rainy day like this. Excellent time. Well done:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Great running considering the conditions today. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

Great run there. Mallow was on my radar until I got up this morning. I saw the wind and rain and decided to spend the day catching up on some DIY (indoor DIY!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

great stuff showry.
    the conditions were terrible so that makes it an even better effort.
    for someone who just wanted to break 70 you well and truly smashed it. taking into account the weather/illness you should be sub 65 very soon.
    keep it up.

roll on dungarvan

Well done showry...great time !

As SUNGOD said ...roll on Dungarvan...im looking forward to it !

Cheers everyone,
    hunnymonster, I think I'd rather have been running around in the wind and rain for the entire afternoon than doing DIY :)

looking forward to Dungarvan, it's literally starting outside my door so I'll be in bed till just before the off,

Woddle, will definitely try and say hello to any boardsies, I'll be the little baldy fella in a West Waterford singlet eating toast at the start line,

• Advertisement

Myself and SUNGOD will be there...we are fans of the west waterford hospitality afterwards....

I like a bit of blueberry jam on my toast ...thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Well done showry.

Have a piece of toast ready for me on the 1st Feb also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Some toast for me too please :D

MCOS wrote: »
    Some toast for me too please :D

apparently we're all being asked to make 2 pan loaves of sandwiches so I'll take any requests here,

Ham, cheese, cherry tomatoes and boiled egg all on brown bread please ;)

A nice bit of crumbed ham ( not that wet glossy looking stuff ) on wholemeal for me...im not picky...also i would like some swiss roll and a bit of home made tart

Sosa wrote: »
    A nice bit of crumbed ham ( not that wet glossy looking stuff ) on wholemeal for me...im not picky...also i would like some swiss roll and a bit of home made tart

red lead on blaas for waterford lads - what ye're used to,

any particular type of brown bread Woddle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

any sandwiches without butter would be very much appreciated! I never get to eat at these things because butter makes me sick! I'm happy to bring my own if you have somewhere to stash them during the race.

Showry,
    You better 3 sliced pans ...what with all the toast you will be serving beforehand,you'll be busy ! :D

• Advertisement

Tuesday:
    Running, 6.5 miles @ 8 min pace,

went out before breakfast with my brother and a couple of other lads, very enjoyable run,

legs have been in bits since Sunday, feels like someone went at them with sledgehammers so I just did some stretching last night, they're a bit better this morning - no problem running, it's just walking is sore,
    will leave the track session until Friday this week,

have only been on the bike once since christmas so hopefully will try and get back out saturday and/or sunday

any sandwiches without butter would be very much appreciated! I never get to eat at these things because butter makes me sick! I'm happy to bring my own if you have somewhere to stash them during the race.

I will make some without butter.
    You're all more than welcome to stash anything you want at my house, it's between the finish line and the sports centre (where the showers and sangwiches are).

with all the catering your doing they might have to rename it "the showry 10":D

looking forward to it though, id imagine a big crowd is expected

now if only we had a song

" here we are again, for the dungarvan showry 10...................:D:D

Really looking forward to this one showry, any brown bread will do me ;)
    What's the course like, if conditions are good would it be considered fast and are there any hills worth mentioning. Thanks in advance

Woddle wrote: »
    Really looking forward to this one showry, any brown bread will do me ;)
    What's the course like, if conditions are good would it be considered fast and are there any hills worth mentioning. Thanks in advance

It's a pretty fast course, faster again this year. The last couple of years there's been a bit of a hill in the last mile but there's a different finish this year.
    There's about 100 metres of a hill after the first mile but it's not much, after that it's fairly plain sailing, fast downhill for a few hundred metres at about mile 6 and a slight pull in the cork road at about mile 9.

Wednesday:
    Running, winter league week 10, 6 miles, 38:33

not a great run,
    the group I was in went off way too fast for me and by half way I was off the back.
    I probably still had the effort from Mallow in the system and was running on empty for the last 3.
    There was a gale blowing and the wind was whipping the waves over the sea wall on the run in.

Friday was due to be a track session but I have a work do Friday lunchtime. Tomorrow's probably too soon to do it so I may leave it for this week and give the body a chance.

• Advertisement

Thursday:
    Running, track session,

hadn't planned on doing much but felt ok so decided on an easy(ish) track session to satisfy my OCD,

changed my 10 mile target time from 70:00 to 65:59 on runningforfitness so my track paces were adjusted accordingly and I'm out of my comfort zone. My 400m target has gone from 84 secs to 79 secs so whereas before I was just trying to make sure I wasn't slower than 84 now I'm struggling to try and hit 79.

Fast 400s
    5 x 400m at 800m pace
    Pace: 79 seconds per 400m
    Rest between efforts: up to 02:38

Times:
    82 secs
    79 secs
    80 secs
    81 secs
    83 secs

will try and get back to 800s next week,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

showry wrote: »
    Thursday:
    Running, track session,

hadn't planned on doing much but felt ok so decided on an easy(ish) track session to satisfy my OCD,

changed my 10 mile target time from 70:00 to 65:59 on runningforfitness so my track paces were adjusted accordingly and I'm out of my comfort zone. My 400m target has gone from 84 secs to 79 secs so whereas before I was just trying to make sure I wasn't slower than 84 now I'm struggling to try and hit 79.

Fast 400s
    5 x 400m at 800m pace
    Pace: 79 seconds per 400m
    Rest between efforts: up to 02:38

Times:
    82 secs
    79 secs
    80 secs
    81 secs
    83 secs

will try and get back to 800s next week,

Do this session with a group and 75s will feel easy! Nothing like a group to make the speed sessions easier.

I like the sound of all this speedwork,showry.

I just vary my pace out on the road,but must start doing something like this,it must stand to you.

Do this session with a group and 75s will feel easy! Nothing like a group to make the speed sessions easier.

I would definitely prefer to do these in a group.
    There are group sessions organised by Waterford AC but they don't start until 7:30 and I'd have to drive back to Dungarvan afterwards so it could be 9:30 by the time I got home and herself wouldn't be best pleased. So it suits me to pop over to the track at lunchtime but I know what you're saying. I might try and stay on once a fortnight or one week in three maybe.

Sosa wrote: »
    I like the sound of all this speedwork,showry.

I just vary my pace out on the road,but must start doing something like this,it must stand to you.

I reckon it definitely made a difference to me Sosa, just from looking at my times from the beginning of the summer when I started.
    As I said to RF (and you probably know this anyway), Waterford AC have an organised session on Monday evening. I go over at about 12 once a week, you're more than welcome to join me.

• Advertisement

Well something has made a difference. It could be talent. I remember back in the day when I thought we were at a similar level but now I reckon you have 3 or 4 mins at least over me on a 10 mile race. Fantastic improvement in such a short time. Did you find the cycling helpful in anyway?

Well something has made a difference. It could be talent. I remember back in the day when I thought we were at a similar level but now I reckon you have 3 or 4 mins at least over me on a 10 mile race. Fantastic improvement in such a short time. Did you find the cycling helpful in anyway?

Cheers Woddle,
    I reckon the cycling definitely helped.
    It meant I could train on the days I wasn't running and being out there for 3-4 hours at a time and climbing mountains definitely helped the stamina.
    With the bit of a stretch coming in the evenings now I should be up and down to work once or twice a week from next week on I hope.

Friday:
    Running, 7 miles @ about 7:30 pace,

early morning run with the brother, was going well until I went over my ankle on a dodgy bit of footpath and fell arse over tit. The ankle felt ok so I dusted myself down and kept going. It's a bit tender now though. I've strapped it up so will see how it goes, I was going to do 12 tomorrow but I might leave it.
    When I played soccer I used to do an ankle every other week and this feels nothing like as bad as back then so hopefully a couple of days will do the trick.

Made sh1t of my arm as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

+1 on the cycling. However from reading this log its also about consistency, speed sessions, regular league runs and excellent commitment and work ethic. Well done Showry and keep it up!

My ankle's still quite sore today so at this stage I think I might stay off the road until the winter league on wednesday - give it a chance to recover. If I do a track session on Friday then the only quality run I'll be losing out on is the long run I was going to do this weekend. I don't want to chance anything before the Dungarvan 10. I missed it through injury last year and ended up calling out times at the 2 mile and 7 mile markers. Very frustrating.

I was going to go for a spin on the bike this morning as it was lovely out about 8:30. Herself persuaded me otherwise - turned out to be a good decision as it was desperate out by 10:00.

Sunday:
    Cycling, 65 km, avge speed 27 km/h,

the fast group was all racing lads and I didn't fancy testing my ankle trying to hang on to them so I went with the steady group.
    First half was with the group but I went on for a couple of miles after they turned back as I wanted to do Tallow hill. Second half was on my own trying to (unsuccessfully) chase them down.
    Only my second time on the bike since christmas and I felt it in the legs.
    The ankle was grand on the bike but is still a tad sore so I'll still not run until Wednesday.

Wednesday:
    Running, winter league week 11, 6 miles, about 41:30,

foot (think it's more foot than ankle now) was still a tad sore today. It's ok when I walk on it though so I decided to chance the winter league. It was a predict-your-time night so there was no need to kill myself.
    I went off at 42 minutes, had a good group and the pace was nice. The foot was a bit sore but didn't get any worse and feels ok now. Picked it up a bit for the last half mile when the brother caught up and still felt comfortable.
    Hopefully it'll be ok in the morning. I'm not going to kill myself between now and Dungarvan, maybe another 4-5 steady runs and 1 or 2 spins on the bike.

[quote=showry;58704671I'm not going to kill myself between now and Dungarvan[/quote]

Your doing the right thing,i will be doing something similar

41:30 is not hanging around either,thats a good pace.
    I would consider any run under 7min miles a very good workout

Friday:
    Running, 6.6 miles @ 7:03 pace,
    foot's still a tad sore but got better as I went on,
    hope to get out on the bike at some stage tomorrow but herself is gone for most of the day so it'll be either very early or very late depending on the frost,

colligan cup run on Sunday, it's a 5 mile predict-your-time race. It's on about 4 miles out the road so I might jog out, do it and jog home again - we'll see how it goes

Saturday:
    Cycling, 80 km, avge speed a steady 26 km/h,

the fast group were going on a good long spin but I had to be back to look after the little showrys so I went with the steady group, still an enjoyable spin though,

• Advertisement

Sunday:
    Running, colligan cup, 5 miles, 34:03,

a predict-your-time race half on the road and half in the woods, very wet and windy but an enjoyable race.
    I went off at 35 mins but came in about a minute too fast - was fairly comfortable so happy enough with it although I should have either run a bit easier or set a tougher target for myself.

I decided against running out to it as it would have been 9 miles there and back, plus the 5 miles race, and I would have had a 45 minute wait before starting so I would have been running to keep warm. Too much.

As it was I got about 3 miles in between warming up and warming down.

I'll probably go easy enough between now and Sunday but I'm tempted to go to the track tomorrow.

Tuesday:
    Running, 6.5 miles @ 7:30 pace,

An early morning run with the brother, struggled a bit in the last mile, am not good running without any grub in the belly.

My foot/ankle's still not right although it's not getting any worse. I'll get through Sunday and maybe get it looked at then. It's not really sore when I'm running but I'm conscious of it. During the day it kind of comes and goes.
    I don't know how Sunday's going to go, I haven't had a really hard run since Mallow so I don't know if I'll be able to beat my time from there.

Wednesday:
    Running, winter league week 12, 6 miles, 37:00,

New PB. So much for taking it easy before Sunday.

Instead of runners going off in 30 second intervals there were 2 large groups 10 minutes apart tonight. I got caught at the back of the group at the start and the brother was about 50 metres ahead of me. It took me a mile and a half to catch him. After that we drove each other on. I kicked on with about 400 to go and thought he was gone until he came tearing past me with 100 to go.
    He's training hard for Connemara and it's paying off. He was flying a few years back. I've had about 6 months where I was beating him but I think my days in the sun are over.
    Good run though, hopefully haven't killed myself before Sunday.

6:10 Pace....thats some running...well done.
    6:30 Pace for 10 mile should certainly be within your reach,or even less.

showry wrote: »
    Wednesday:
    Running, winter league week 12, 6 miles, 37:00,

New PB. S.

great time time showry
    wrap yourself in cotton wool till sunday you should have a very good race
    well done keep it up

hmm,
    according to the website last night's time was 38:01,
    I was pretty sure the clock was just turning to 52 as we finished but I might have been wrong.
    Still, my second fastest time of the league if not my fastest so not so bad I suppose.

still a great time showry, fair play to ya

finally got round to totalling up the mileage since I started this log on 19th May last year:
    Running - 657.5 miles
    Cycling - 4,740 km

Scary thing is, looking at the 1000 mile challenge some of you have managed half my 7 months mileage in less than a month.

My average speed on the bike has dropped a fair bit since last summer but hopefully that'll pick up as the year moves on. Maybe a new bike'll help. Thinking of treating myself while I'm still in a job.

Friday:
    Running, 4.5 miles @ 8 min pace,

a bit windswept, needed an easy run to burn off last night's pizza and this morning's canteen breakfast before tucking into my superquinn spicy chicken wrap.
    That's it until Sunday now.

• Advertisement

Sunday:
    Running, Dungarvan 10 mile, 65:45 unofficial,

Started off with a chaotic morning. I was in the middle of buttering the sangwiches when I heard a roar from the front room. Wrestlemania had gone wrong and the smallest fella was holding his arm. Herself took him to the hospital and it turns out he broke it in 2 places. My parents took the other 2 for the race but I wasn't doing much hanging round before or after.

Well happy with my run though, myself and the brother pushed each other all the way until he repeated the other night's sprint. I was pushing on with about 800 to go and he didn't come with me, I couldn't hear him and then going around the last bend with less than 100 to go he ghosted past me like whispering death.
    Miles 1-3 were grand, we were cruising and passing people all the time. I was starting to feel the pace by mile 4 but I knew there was a nice downhill after mile 6 so I hung on and had a bit of a breather on the downhill. Mile 8 along the canal was hard but when we turned into the wind on the main road it was well tough. We had a good group and I just hung on to them.

Most of the splits were between 6:30 and 6:35 apart from 8 & 9: 6:42 & 6:45.

was nice to meet the lads I did get a chance to meet, hopefully will get to meet more of ye in future

Advertisement