Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

original stone walls

Options
  • 20-05-2008 9:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hope someone can help me. Our house is surrounded by ditches covered in briars. Underneath the briars are the original stone walls. I've cleared the brairs down one side of the ditch, painful sore job, I get the feeling that I'm wasting my time as the briars are coming over from the other side and since it is such a big job, has anyone suggstions on what I can do, or has anyone else done likewise?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭charliecon

If you spray the briars with Grazon 90 it will get rid of them plus it will also kill nettles but won't harm grass. You should be able to get it at any hardware that does farm goods,it's fairly expensive but a little goes a long way. Hope this helps hairymolly 'cos there is nothing to beat a real stone wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭hairymolly

Thanks charliecon, will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

I have a similar ditch around my house, but my well is roughly 4 feet from the ditch too.

Could I use this Grazon 90 too? Would it kill those yellow furze too?

D

Yea, just don't spray it right beside the well ,if you use a knapsack you can spray it directly on the weed. It will kill furze but you have to wet the whole bush - a cheaper option is to cut them as close as possible to the ground and paint the cut stem with diesel or waste oil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭hairymolly

Great advice charliecon, years ago the old folk used to paint a tar likd substance around apple trees, di you know what it was?

• Advertisement

No sorry hairy molly ,all I've ever heard of them painting on was whitewash though I don't know what it was supposed to do.

Advertisement