Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teaching experience vs funded project

• 20-05-2008 10:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi,

I have the possibility of taking a PhD which will give me a few years teaching experience in a number of courses which are closely related to my research area in the humanities.

I also have the possibility of looking at fully funded places which would not give me as much teaching experience.

Given that I would like to enter academia how should I weigh up my options?

thanks

Comments

I think the best thing you could do is to talk to someone in the field you're looking to go into, so for example it could be a lecturer who could advise you one way or another which is the best path to take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭dK1NG

Just from my own experience, teaching takes up a lot of time. If you have the option of funding, imho that would be a better route especially as you might get the opportunity of doing some occasional teaching. As has already been said though, best to have a chat with someone where you will be studying.

Best of lcuk with it.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭reregholdsworth

thank you both for your opinions.

Funding would be useful and I am hoping to secure funding and tutoring.
    I think it will be very helpful that the courses should be very relevant to my own researches.

If the courses are repeated each year that should reduce the burden somewhat.
    Perhaps I am being too optimistic on that regard.

Advertisement