Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spencer Tunick

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

networknow wrote: »
    I did not hear about the Dublin Docklands 21 June shoot until yesterday and have found that registration is closed. Does anyone know if it will be possible to participate on the day without registration. If the answer is yes how to go about doing it.

See my earlier post up on this page.

I know its very early days, but does anybody know how long we'll be waiting for our free picture?

Also, anybody heard any rumours on what were the other sites considered for the installation in cork? Would be interesting to find out.

Finally, was anybody at the special, secret installation he did yesterday morning in White Street Car Park in Cork. The picture in today's examiner looks cool...lots of foam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 networknow

Thanks Mr T. Hopefully the same will apply in Dublin as it did in Cork.
    Does anyone have venue/time information on the Dublin shoot yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Well, fair play to those who did it. When will the real photos be available to see? (afaik, the ones in the papers were only press ones)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭finbarrk

networknow wrote: »
    I did not hear about the Dublin Docklands 21 June shoot until yesterday and have found that registration is closed. Does anyone know if it will be possible to participate on the day without registration. If the answer is yes how to go about doing it.

There is more about it on the Dublin forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 plumlover

I really want to take part! And if its true for Dublin what Mr. Tea said about Cork, that you can take part even without registration if you just go along..

Then does anyone know where the meeting location is and time? I know privacy is an issue so maybe you could email me the details? at : trullymadlydeeply@hotmail.com.

Also the form if at all possible.

Thanks very much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 networknow

Hi Plumlover,
    As suggested by another user look in the Dublin Forum where someone has posted a link for the release form. The venue is a bit of a mystery but it look like it is somewhere on the South Wall Dublin Docklands. Someone else might be able to give you certain info on the venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

For the person who asked about exhibitions, Tunick has had exhibitions from time to time, but the last I heard of was in Melbourne or Sydney I think. From the links on his website which you'll find on google, I believe a lot of his photos are on Artnet. No doubt they will appear on the Midsummer festival website also.

Anybody hear anything about the exhibition of these photos in Cork? or about when we're going to get our prints?

Lots of rumours flying about regarding Dublin and how the Docklands Authority are (mis)handling the event up there.

I'm presuming that the forthcoming launch of the Midsummer Festival will shed some light on the subject? Presumably announce an upcoming exhibition to run during the festival and prints to be distributed at the same time?

Anybody know anybody in the midsummer office? I hate the way we're being kept in the dark about this!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Rumours abound that the pictures were going to be distributed whenever they held an exhibition. It however was suggested that Spencer Tunick objected to the location picked for such an exhibition. It also has been suggested that Dublin Docklands Authority are a little too broke to go about posting out the pictures for free and they may even put a price on the pictures if that exhibition ever goes ahead.
    I think we may have got screwed

Just found this from the Sunday Times a few weeks ago (I've cut it short to remove the general stuff):

From The Sunday Times
    April 5, 2009

Spencer Tunick won't show nudes in Ireland
    Artist declines invite from Dublin Docklands Development Agency. He wants National Gallery or Irish Museum of Modern Art

Colin Coyle

The Irish public showed him theirs. But now he won’t show us his. Spencer Tunick, the American artist who photographed thousands of nudes in Dublin and Cork as part of an art installation last year, is refusing to exhibit his pictures in Ireland.
    The artist was scheduled to reveal images from the naked photo shoots in Dublin this spring but has refused to do so after the Dublin Docklands Development Authority (DDDA) asked him to stage an exhibition in the CHQ building in the Irish Financial Services Centre.
    Tunick is understood to have declined the invitation, saying that he would rather exhibit his creations in the National Gallery or Irish Museum of Modern Art. But neither gallery has a slot available to host an exhibition by the controversial American artist in the coming months.
    The DDDA has now asked the artist to display his Irish images online so that the general public can view his naked mosaics, but last week said it was still “finalising plans” to allow the Irish public to view them. William Galinsky, director of the Cork Midsummer Festival, said that an announcement would be made shortly.
    Almost 1,200 volunteers participated in a nude photoshoot at Blarney Castle in Co Cork last June, while just over 100 people took part in a smaller shoot at White Street car park in Cork city. Days later more than 2,500 took part in another installation at South Wall in Dublin’s docklands. Another 144 participants took part in another smaller installation on the balconies of the Alto Vetro Building at Grand Canal Dock later that day.
    Those who took part were told that Tunick’s images would be displayed in Dublin in summer 2009. The artist’s naked models were also promised a limited edition print of one of his images for taking part. Last week the DDDA confirmed volunteers would still receive a limited edition photograph to mark the event. These will be distributed in June.
    Tunick has been documenting the live nude figure in public since 1992 and has hosted installations in the US, Argentina, Mexico, Brazil, Belgium, Portugal, Britain, France, Spain, Austria and Holland. In 2007, 18,000 people posed for one of the artist’s creations in Mexico City.
    Tunick only ever exhibits a small selection of his nude tableaux. He has previously held shows in the Hilger Contemporary in Vienna, Austria; the Hales gallery
    in London; the Baltic Centre for Contemporary Art in Gateshead, England; and the I-20 gallery in New York.

Tom Lawlor, a photographer who took part in the Dublin exhibition, said he was disappointed that Tunick’s images would not be on public display. “He took the pictures but the public made the art,” he said. “It was very much a collaborative effort.”
    Lawlor said that he felt that CHQ would be an ideal venue for an exhibition. “Why should the images only be exhibited in the rarefied confines of an art gallery? After all, it was a populist project made possible by volunteers,” he said.

• Advertisement

I'm answering my own question here, but FYI:

I think the whole 'democracy' thing is a load of rubbish. I wish they'd tell us the real reason behind the abandoned exhibition.

The Dublin Docklands Development Authority and Cork Midsummer Festival have jointly commissioned artist Spencer Tunick to create a website exhibition of the Spencer Tunick Ireland Installations. This website, which will go live for four months from 8th June, will be a visual documentary of Spencer Tunick's Dublin and Cork installations, which were created by the artist for the Dublin Docklands Development Authority and Cork Midsummer Festival 2008. The website will feature artworks from each city and video works made by the artist. The web address for this innovative temporary online gallery will be announced in early June.

Speaking about this website commission William Galinsky, Artistic Director, Cork Midsummer Festival said: "This is the first time Tunick's work will be available exclusively through a website. As such, it gives a new democracy to the exhibition because people from across Ireland and beyond will have the opportunity to visit the exhibition, regardless of their location". Loretta Lambkin, Marketing Director, Dublin Docklands Development Authority added: "We feel that this online exhibition will give added value to the exhibition and will capture the excitement and fun that was generated by the project in Dublin and Cork".

During the week commencing 8th June, Docklands Authority will post the limited edition photographs of the Dublin installation to everybody who participated in the project. Those who participated in the Cork installations will be able to pick up their artworks at the Cork Midsummer Festival Box Office based at the Triskel Arts Centre in Cork City. Each participant will receive one photograph as their personal memento, chosen by the artist, from the day they participated. People who took part at both the South Wall and Treasury Holdings Altro Vetro Building in Dublin will receive two prints, as will the people who took part in the Blarney Castle and White Street Car Park installations at the Cork Midsummer Festival. Each photograph measures 8 x 10 inches and is printed on the same high quality photographic paper that Spencer Tunick uses for his larger artworks.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭irishcrazyhorse

we can collect ours from the triskel gallery on tobin street on the 8th of june.
    A website will be launched to show all the images that day as well

Advertisement