Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swallow's nest in my garage.

Options
  • 20-05-2008 10:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

Two beautiful looking swallows built a nest in my car garage recently without me even noticing until it was built and now have two eggs laid. They seem to be taking a breather for the moment after the frenetic activity of the past week or so but still are seen come and go every now and then.

The car is being left outside until the birds have flown (a) to leave them in some peace and (b) because it would be covered in bird droppings.

Any other tips for helping things along or should I just leave nature take its course. Was thinking of leaving a water bowl in the garage as it can get quite hot in there in sunny weather but am afraid one of our cats could pounce if I did. :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭donal7

Hi there,

That's pretty cool.

I think best to let nature take it's course and leave them to it. Don't think they would come down for the water.

Fair play to you for leaving your garage open for them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

We've had swallows in our back garage (where we keep coal and logs) since I can remember. Every year they return with out fail to the 4/5 nests. They love to swoop over and back infront of the lawnmower when we're cutting it...great fun! As the other poster said, I would just let nature take it's course, they're small but very able little birds.

This year for example, a cuckoo has sung from the biggest tree in our back garden, never before had one come so close to the house. We used to hear it but never saw it. I was outside studying and noticed the swallows swooping and flying at it obviously not happy with it's presence. The cuckoo was massive compared to the swallows but he left in the end....Enjoy them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

Swallows are awesome. I remember a couple of years ago I was in a pub in Westport and some swallows had built a nest under the eves out in a beer garden. They spent the entire night swooping in and out just inches over everyones head, it was very entertaining, so beautiful to watch them. You are very lucky to have them there IMO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I think the swallows have abandoned the nest? Should the eggs have hatched out by now? The three eggs are still in the nest. Have not seen them fly in there all day while other swallows are busy building a nest in another more secure (from our cat) garage.

I hope the cat has not finally done them in. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭DoMyBooks

I know this is an old thread but some swallows are presently building a nest in our shed. I have moved the dogs out of the shed as last year they caught and killed a bird inside the shed.

My neighbor advised me to pull down the nest as they will keep coming back. Other than the poop I don't mind having the birds there. Is there any reason I should move them on?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I don't think so, unless you think the dogs will kill the parents or babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭DoMyBooks

Thanks for your advice. The dogs don't bother with them unless I put the dogs in the shed to sleep. I don't mind letting the dogs sleep in the house until they fly the nest. (my wife does but thats another story!)

Advertisement