Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 year old birthday present

Options
  • 20-05-2008 10:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi All

My daughters birthday is coming up and she'll be 4. Does anyone have any ideas what I can get her, she isn't asking for anything and she probably has more toys than sense!!! I'll need an extension soon enough. I guess Im just at a loss what 'big' present I could give her

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

How about a fancy storage system? We got a pink treasure chest for one of our girls once and she loved it - plus it helped us to keep some of her stash in order!!

You could get a wooden bench with storage under the seat and paint it glittery and pink.

Or a fancy mirror for her wall?

Canopy for her bed. Dress up outfits. Books books and more books...

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭DinoBot

Well, with the summer coming in, how about an outdoor present like a tent or those outdoor house thingy's ? Kids love them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Fiona24

DinoBot wrote: »
    Well, with the summer coming in, how about an outdoor present like a tent or those outdoor house thingy's ? Kids love them.

She already has a playhouse and a big sandpit thing and a trampoline!

i like the storage idea its something ive been thinking about anyways so Ill have a look at that in some shops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

How about a bike?

Thanks but she just got a new bike at christmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I got a metal climbing frame for our two, made by TP toys, they love it.
    Kids love to hang by their arms and swing off things, the frame can be extended to make it taller as the kids grow.
    I got it in a toyshop near the Jervis st centre.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

If she already has too many big toys, why not give her an 'event' rather than a thing? My son is the same, so many toys he doesnt know which to play with, so something like Disney on Ice is a real treat for him. There are so many things on you could bring her to, (and the majority arent cheap:)) so this would be an opportunity to do one? And it may seem like its too transient, nothing to keep afterwards, but my little fella still talks about lilo and stitch on ice, which he saw when he was two.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Wow, the child really has it all. I think the whole thing is getting out of control with kids and presents tbh.

Remember years ago we got one item for Christmas/birthday..

Maybe an 'event' that Oryx suggested or the storage unit (which will be of benefit to you). What will be buying them in 10 years, cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

same ish problem here.. my grandson is 5 tomorrow and the last few weeks I have been trying to open a good investment bank account for him. I did manage to open one in Halefix but now I discovered that its opened in my own name.. sure I can hardly hand a bank account to a five year old and his name doesnt even appear on it. So I decided to open a po saving account.. god it like pulling teeth. the want his pps no his birt cert, his parents ulitilty bill +2 and the wax from the wise virgin's candle. I am sick of it. I guess I should just give him the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I think taking a child to an event is a good idea. I'm a childminder and apart from my baby mindees instead of buying more toys, clothes etc for them at christmas I take the older ones to the local pantomime or cinema and to a restaurant beforehand and the smaller ones to a playcentre.

The parents are happy with this as it's less toys for picking up and they also get a few free hours to themselves. The children love going out somewhere with their friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

We got one of those bouncy castles from Smyths... they're cool our 5yr old and even our 19 month old love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

Was thinking about this again yesterday as I saw a lovely little desk and chair set in the RTE Guide.... it was from Mimi Toys which is an online company based in Meath. I though of this thread immediately I saw it.

Fiona this thread has reminded me of presents when mine were younger. You say she hasn't asked for anything and has more toys than sense and you don't know what big present to get her.

I was a bit like this but after a while it occured to me that it was my own need I was satisfying by wanting to get my children as much as I could and make sure they had a big present I realised I'd been over-indulging them. I'm not saying this is the case with you. Mine weren't even asking for most of the stuff. I think it's because my own parents gave my siblings and myself very little compared to our friends even though they were well off that I didn't want my children to have that experience.

Young children don't know the price of most toys so I'd go along with the play value of a toy rather than how big it is if that is what they want. The desk and chair as does the storage unit sound nice.

One thing I've realised is that as they get older the presents become much smaller but more expensive ;)

Hi all

Thanks for all the replies, really like the idea of the storage unit. What I think I've decided on is to go away for a night to Dublin and take her to the Zoo and have a girls night away. I live in Cork so we would fly up. I've spoken to her about this and she thinks its the best thing ever so once she's happy I'm happy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

That's a pretty good present - however have you considered how you are going to better it next year??? ;-p

I have exactly the same problem with my godson. Constantly end up buying him presents that he already has. Iv ended up trying to do the event things now instead. The only problem is it can be a little difficult sometimes to make them coincide with the actual birthday/christmas

That's a great present, I'd love it myself.

Advertisement