Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying 2nd hand car, Query on a cartell report

Options
  • 20-05-2008 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

Howdy, Buying a 2nd hand car from main dealer and the cartell report tells me that it was not taxed for a period of 13 months. I know it was a demo model in the garage, could that explain the no tax for that time period or should I be worrried.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

not at all. When you buy the car , you tax it from the day of purchase. It dosen't matter if it was taxed before or not. Not your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

What he said, you pay tax from purchase date only

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

I think the OP wants to know why the car was not taxed for 13 months. Was the car a demo for all of those 13 months or was it crashed and thus off the road.

OP, can you let us know how old the car is, and the period (months + year) when the car was untaxed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Waynecarr

Maoleary sums up what I'm trying to ask.
    Was it off the road crashed or because it was a demo model did that mean it did not have to have road tax ?
    Car first registered July 2005, not taxed between 28 Feb 2006 and 31 Mar 08. Thats over two years.
    Sorry original 13 months figure quoted was wrong
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

I would be wary of it TBH, but garages do this frequently.

I've looked at demo cars before, and found that they were rarely serviced on time or looked after, driven very hard etc.

If its got all its stamps etc. it might be different.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

maoleary wrote: »
    I would be wary of it TBH, but garages do this frequently.

I've looked at demo cars before, and found that they were rarely serviced on time or looked after, driven very hard etc.

If its got all its stamps etc. it might be different.

Or it might be that the same garage that possibly didn't look after it when it was their demo car just filled the book anyway, to make it look better.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Usually demo models are only kept by dealers for 3 to 4 months before being sold on. This way the mileage is still relatively low and they can get decent money for them. It is very unusual that a demo model would be kept for 2 years as at that stage as it would have depreciated considerably.

The only other thing I can think of is that the previous owner moved abroad and took the car with them, registered it over there, came home after 2 years with the car and registered it here again to be exempt from VRT. It would have got the same registration number as before.

In any event I would want to talk to the previous owner(s) and see what their story is. A garage should not have any problem giving your their contact number.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It was off the road for two years amd only 6 months old when parked. that cannot be good. I wouldnt touch it. most likely damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

bazz26 wrote: »
    The only other thing I can think of is that the previous owner moved abroad and took the car with them, registered it over there, came home after 2 years with the car and registered it here again to be exempt from VRT. It would have got the same registration number as before.

In any event I would want to talk to the previous owner(s) and see what their story is. A garage should not have any problem giving your their contact number.

I am not sure if you export the car that it would then be re-issued with original plates. If I was going abroad I would buy VRT free and put it on ZZ plates to take abroad. What dates are shown in service book? Mileage etc I would ask for copies of job sheets for service work, its way better than a 'stamped' service book.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭T J Hooker

bazz26 wrote: »

That falls under data protection. A garage, as far as I'm aware, has no legal obligation to provide previous owners details. They need only tell you if it was privately owned or a company owned car and amount of previous owners.

• Advertisement
Advertisement