Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheism: a "faith", a "leap of faith", or neither?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

rockbeer wrote: »
    Not assuming anything, not paranoid, just reading what you've written and wanting to be clear about any subtext that may be lurking behind what you say.

I also note that you haven't actually answered my question.

I have answerd your question. I told you I haven't hidden anything. I quite plainly started with the premise of Atheism takes a leap of faith. It changed then, when people's description of atheism went beyond its dictionary definition, to why would you call yourself atheist etc etc. No conspiracy. I have been educated, and hopefully others have too, thanks to provoking questions and thoughtful answers. Thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Wicknight wrote: »
    It is when little words like that are dropped into the conversation that everything comes to a screeching halt. And we were doing so well :pac:

Because something is unknown and possible (it is unknown if intelligence had any role to play in the formation of the universe but it is certainly possible it did), does not imply anything about how likely it is.

There is no reason to believe intelligence did anything, the universe shows no sign of intelligent design (despite the silly arguments used by the IDers such as the "finely tuned" argument) and the scientific models of the universe do appear to require intelligence

One cannot say if it is equally possible, less possible or more possible. We do not have the ability to make such a judgment at the moment.

Again, I think the assumption is I'm looking to jump on something. That question was just to ascertain that the following statement was balanced. I.E. There wasn't going to be a 'but its more probable there was no ID'. The answer was balanced and simple.
    dades wrote:
    I'm not going say there is a consensus, but I think there is some agreement that anything is possible in the realm of the complete unknown. That includes unknown origins of the universe - even a 'designer'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

JimiTime wrote: »
    I have answerd your question. I told you I haven't hidden anything. I quite plainly started with the premise of Atheism takes a leap of faith. It changed then, when people's description of atheism went beyond its dictionary definition, to why would you call yourself atheist etc etc. No conspiracy. I have been educated, and hopefully others have too, thanks to provoking questions and thoughtful answers. Thats it.

Thanks for the clarification. Yep, much learned.

Advertisement