Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing in north Dublin Malahide/Portmarnock/Howth

Options
  • 20-05-2008 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

Ok so what i would like people to comment on is

1. Has anyone caught mackeral from any of the above spots this year yet. Id imagine Howth is going to be the winner here but is there anywhere else that has been successful. If so then can you let me know where i.e (the main pier in howth with the lighthouse). If you haven't caught any this year then places where you have caught them in previous years are more than welcome also.

2. Places where people have fished in the above spots and caught what? what time of year? etc. The one id be keen to hear on is portmarnock beach but ive a feeling im not gonna get much info on that. Even if its caught a 1lb pollock with a toy rod off the rocks in howth thats fine just let me know where it was and what time of year.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

The main spot in howth is the west pier,which is the one without the lighthouse,there's more room there and its easier to get to with a car.You'll catch mackerell there in season witth feathers or a floated bait.In howth there's also balscadden cliffs which are to the right o the harbour,about a mile away.Both of these venues can be crowded at weekends.In both places you'll also catch pollock very easily.In balscadden there are also wrasse,whiting and conger.I reckon there are far more species available here than people bother to try for.In the harbour you can also catch stupid amounts of dogfish during sepetember and especially at night.I havnt a clue about portmarnock beach,i would IMAGINE you'd get flounder and possibly b ass but i've never tried.Best way to find out is get some bait and give it a bash.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭blainj2

Thanks for the reply, i knew there was life out there!! I was talking to one guy while he was fishing on portmarnock beach(i was out for a walk) and he said ya would get flounder,dabs and bass so thats promising but he also said that was his first time fishing there in 3 years and he hadnt caught anything. Ah well looks like im gonna have to find out myself. What you said about howth seems to be fairly common so hopefully the mackeral will be in soon so i can get some decent bait. Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Don't forget its closed season for bass until June 15th. You can fish for other species, but you can't target bass, and if you do catch one it must be returned alive immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭blainj2

Yeah i only found that out the last day from the guy that was fishing on the beach, it was the last day before the ban started and there was a good surf so he decied to give it a go! Thanks for posting it incase anybody else here didnt realise it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Roboloco

Between myself and a couple of friends we've caught about 10 mackerel over the last two weeks , and quite a few small pollock, I was looking to see If anyone recommends anywhere to catch bass in the above areas and what to use , ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Op if your familiar wit portmarnock, you may know the 'high rock'. I did see someone fishing there for mackeral once, but i always thought it was very rocky there. I could be wrong. Its out the malahide road. I wil make a phone call shortly and find out about portmarnock but i think howth is the place to go

Advertisement