Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High tide Lahinch

Options
  • 20-05-2008 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi guys,

Im still at the beginner stage and was hoping to improve by getting a few surfs in after work during the week, in Lahinch (Travelling from Galway).

Ive checked the tide times for tomorrow and thursday and high tide seems to be at approx 7pm and 7.30pm respectively. Ive read a few places that "the waves will be breaking on the rocks 2 hours before high tide", as a beginner I dont think I want to be in the water when this is happening!!:eek:

Can anybody recommend somewhere to surf in the evenings around the Galway/Clare area when Lahinch is unsafe due to high tide?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

You might be out of luck unfortunately, both Lahinch and Fanore are fairly hazardous at high tide and I can't think of any more suitable spots. Maybe someone who knows Mayo/Sligo spots can recommend somewhere there. Otherwise you'll need to wait til next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 CDog

wont chance it so, cheers for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

well sure just chance lahinch and if thats a little small or the waves are on the rocks, head down the coast road to Spanish Point, theres a beautiful beach there that picks up more swell than lahinch, from a broader range of swell directions, it has nicer sandbars that shape the waves better as well, and its not really crowded like lahinch is.

There are a few spots in Galway not much further than lahinch, but you'd have to get the map out and the swell charts to see whats working

Cool, ill definately try Spanish point so! Its pretty safe i presume?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

i was out at lehinch there a few weekends back
    and even though it was high tide there is an area further down the beach thats surfable.

in fact i reckon theyre pretty decent waves for beginners, easy to catch and you're not coming in onto rocks, just sand!

attached is a gmaps pic of the area that ive highlighted, its somewhere around low tide in the pic, but at high tide the water will come up as far as the lighter coloured sand.

dont go too close to the river mouth tho, its a pretty weak river but you dont want to be pushed out

• Advertisement

Cheers for that Panda, ill definately check that out next time at high tide!

I actually ended up in Doughmore on Wed evening by chance! It was quite good considering nothing was working anywhere else!

I hear it can be dangerous at times esp when the swell gets up but it seemed safe enough that evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

is spanish point surfable on any tide?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

The beach is surfable at any tide. Peaks up and down the beach.

But up by the cliffs and around, theres a few reefs that are quite literally death on a stick...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

thanks dude. assuming you are familar with the spot what you think conditions will be like there this evening? went up on sun for a spin, it was flat so went home again, that was my first time there.

Advertisement