Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should this forum have a sticky with recommended HE Audio setups?

• 20-05-2008 12:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

I was coming in here to post a thread asking for advice on what audio setup I should go for with a budget of €500, but it seems there are 101 other threads asking the same questions with little feedback.

When it comes to audio I guess most people, including myself, are clueless (probably why Bose make so much money :rolleyes:)

Could the experts and audiophiles on here throw together a simple thread with audio setups for different budgets? I'm guessing most people that are looking for an audio setup will want 5.1 and an amp and a decent decoder. It could simply be what audio setups people are using and how much they paid for it.

So maybe start with a recommended setup for €200, €500, €700, €1000, €1200 ... etc all the way up to NO BUDGET. The more people that recommend setups from different etailers the more concise the list will be and it will also remove the need for all these threads requesting recommendations.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

L31mr0d wrote: »
    I'm guessing most people that are looking for an audio setup will want 5.1 and an amp and a decent decoder.

This is where the divisions start! My definition of an audio setup is just that.... no 5.1, no decoders, no sub-woofers. Source, amp(s) and speakers. That's it.

One huge caveat in all this is room size/shape and music preferences... different systems for different needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    This is where the divisions start! My definition of an audio setup is just that.... no 5.1, no decoders, no sub-woofers. Source, amp(s) and speakers. That's it.

One huge caveat in all this is room size/shape and music preferences... different systems for different needs.

Ok well then why don't you put together a group of recommendations for your chosen source with different setups for different budgets. The more people that give recommendations the better the thread will be. Somebody out there will benefit from your recommendations.

It doesn't have to be only 5.1 Video setups, the main thing here is that for different HE setups there is recommendations to fit everyones budget.

Like I said, simply detailing what you yourself have, how much you paid for it and what it is used for would be enough to get things started.

Like I said, simply detailing what you yourself have, how much you paid for it and what it is used for would be enough to get things started.

Ok.... I doubt if my setup will that relevant but here goes.

Copland 266 CD player €2,300
    Airtight ATM1 S amp €6,600
    Quad 989 speakers €9,900 (to replace with new Quads)

Roksan Turntable €1,000
    Tom Evens micro groove plus phono stage €1,400
    Michell TecnoArm tonearm €600 and Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo 3 moving coil pickup cartridge €500.

Nordost Blue Heaven speaker cable and either Van den Hul or Dalkey Audio Cable interconnects depending on my mood.

Ok.... I doubt if my setup will that relevant but here goes.

Copland 266 CD player €2,300
    Airtight ATM1 S amp €6,600
    Quad 989 speakers €9,900 (to replace with new Quads)

Roksan Turntable €1,000
    Tom Evens micro groove plus phono stage €1,400
    Michell TecnoArm tonearm €600 and Sumiko Blue Point Special Evo 3 moving coil pickup cartridge €500.

Nordost Blue Heaven speaker cable and either Van den Hul or Dalkey Audio Cable interconnects depending on my mood.

So this is mainly for DJ'ing and music production yeah? I'm guessing this isn't the audio setup you use when watching movies.

So this is mainly for DJ'ing and music production yeah?
    AAAaaaahhhhh no... this is my home stereo setup. Just for little ol' me to listen to CDs and LPs on.

The cinema is in the attic - arcam/B&W/Tannoy/InFocus/REL. But we were talking audio setups.

• Advertisement

The cinema is in the attic - arcam/B&W/Tannoy/InFocus/REL. But we were talking audio setups.

Does you attic cinema not have an audio setup? I'd say most people in here asking about an audio setup are looking for one for music and video.

Maybe detail what your cinema audio setup is and costs.

Does you attic cinema not have an audio setup? .

Well I don't limit myself to silent movies if that's what you mean.

My main interest is in high end 2 channel stereo hifi, I would never use the cinema setup to play music. I thought this was going to be a fairly serious thread about suggested AUDIO systems rather than cinema but if that's the way the thread is going to go I'll just politely back out now.

Well I don't limit myself to silent movies if that's what you mean.

My main interest is in high end 2 channel stereo hifi, I would never use the cinema setup to play music. I thought this was going to be a fairly serious thread about suggested AUDIO systems rather than cinema but if that's the way the thread is going to go I'll just politely back out now.

Ok I can understand the confusion. But pardon me for assuming that people would have a HE audio setup for watching movies. I'm assuming you have an audio setup for your cinema, I just don't understand why you haven't detailed it. Not everyone is going to have a completely separate audio setup for listening to music and watching movies.

It would of been nice if you'd recommended various low to mid range audio setups that would of been good for cinema setups as well as music playback.

It would of been nice if you'd recommended various low to mid range audio setups that would of been good for cinema setups as well as music playback.

I wouldn't be familiar enough with them to actually recommend them. As I said above my cinema setup is purely for cinema. That said the DVD player (Arcam 88+ @ about €1,300) and amp (Arcam avr300 @ about €1,700) do a better than average job of two channel music but they're hardly "low to mid range".

Advertisement