Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

After-market warranty?

• 20-05-2008 12:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if there are any insurers in Ireland offering after-market warranties on the purchase of second-hand cars?

For example, here is one in the UK: http://www.warrantyworks.co.uk/, but I have been unable to find a similar service offered over here.

Maybe I am terming it wrong in my search?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Haven't heard of it here.

Why would you want it?

I presume you'd still have to pay for regular services on top of the warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

stevec wrote: »
    Haven't heard of it here.

Why would you want it?

I presume you'd still have to pay for regular services on top of the warranty.

Yes, normal servicing, and replacement of wear-and-tear parts, are your responsibility. Makes sense, and I'm perfectly fine with that.

The reason I would consider one is that if you buy a second-hand car and its manufacturers' warranty has run out, you have no cover against potential major problems. Also, you might only have a six month or a one year used car warranty from the dealership that you purchased from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭cbyrne

I remember this being discussed on a previous thread and the conclusion was that there was no such service in Ireland (Incidently you can also get this service in Australia, lots of garages offer it to back packers buying vans/station wagons for travelling around). Anyway, someone on that thread at the time was talking about setting something like this up but I never heard of anything after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Start by contacting your local dealer for the make you drive. Ask them who supplies their used car warranties. Call that company and see if they deal with individuals or just trade.

That would be the quickest way I can think of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

http://www.irelandassist.com/masistsite/docs/html/warranty.html

Mapfre offer this product to dealers, but not sure about private individuals.

• Advertisement

cbyrne wrote: »
    I remember this being discussed on a previous thread and the conclusion was that there was no such service in Ireland (Incidently you can also get this service in Australia, lots of garages offer it to back packers buying vans/station wagons for travelling around). Anyway, someone on that thread at the time was talking about setting something like this up but I never heard of anything after that.

I'll be annoyed if this is the case. Ireland, 10 years behind every other country in financial services.

AudiChris wrote: »
    Start by contacting your local dealer for the make you drive. Ask them who supplies their used car warranties. Call that company and see if they deal with individuals or just trade.

That would be the quickest way I can think of.

Great idea, thanks. I will try that if the next link is not available to the private motorist.

R.O.R wrote: »
    http://www.irelandassist.com/masistsite/docs/html/warranty.html

Mapfre offer this product to dealers, but not sure about private individuals.

Our tailor made packages are designed to meet the specific demands of the modern Motor Dealer, Manufacturer and Motorist. Our Warranty Packages are available for both new and used vehicles.

That line from your link make me hopeful. I called them, but the gentleman who handles this aspect of Ireland Assist had gone home early. They are going to have him call me back tomorrow. I'll let you know what is said.

It sounds like they are overrun with business. :cool:

let us know how you get on, I'd be interested in seeing how this pans out.

Ok, just heard back from Ireland Assist [Mapfre] and they only supply extended warranties to dealerships.

At the moment you can buy 2 year warranties through certain dealerships that are underwritten by them.

I was told that no provider is selling what I am looking for in Ireland, but I'm still looking, because it is open to abuse blah, blah and more blah.

I did a cursory Google search and found two more UK providers. I'm guessing that this is big business over there, but hasn't caught on here at all.

I will likely be buying the car from the UK, so I am going to approach each of the UK providers and see if I can come to an arrangement with them. They'll be able to do all their checks [DVLA, HPI etc], so hopefully business can be done.

Especially as no Irish provider wants it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

If you buy your UK warranty (albeit on a UK car), how do you expect them to administer the warranty:

- get the car inspected
    - approve repairs
    - pay (Euro) invoices
    - reclaim (Irish) VAT

I wish you luck and let us know how you get on, but I will be surprised if the UK warranty companies don't think it's more hassle than it's worth...

I was told that no provider is selling what I am looking for in Ireland, but I'm still looking, because it is open to abuse blah, blah and more blah.

I did a cursory Google search and found two more UK providers. I'm guessing that this is big business over there, but hasn't caught on here at all.

Especially as no Irish provider wants it.

Don't understand why no Irish Garage/Company does this, surely its a bit like insurance in that yes they will have to pay out on a certain percentage of cars per year, but if there are enough people using the service they would make the money on the many cars which need no warranty work..

AudiChris wrote: »
    If you buy your UK warranty (albeit on a UK car), how do you expect them to administer the warranty:

- get the car inspected
    - approve repairs
    - pay (Euro) invoices
    - reclaim (Irish) VAT

I wish you luck and let us know how you get on, but I will be surprised if the UK warranty companies don't think it's more hassle than it's worth...

I'm one of those stubborn ones who has no qualms about asking. :D

I have been thinking it might be as simple as using a relative's UK address for administration. Payments can be made, if necessary, in local currency and the money can be exchanged and forwarded.

As regards the money on their end, being in the EU and both countries having such close ties, I'm sure there is a double/dual- taxation treaty [correct term?] in effect so VAT can be recouped etc

EDIT - they could also specify a garage in the North, which I'd have no quarrel with. Would sort everything out neatly.

It will all come out in the wash.

cbyrne wrote: »
    Don't understand why no Irish Garage/Company does this, surely its a bit like insurance in that yes they will have to pay out on a certain percentage of cars per year, but if there are enough people using the service they would make the money on the many cars which need no warranty work..

I wish I could say that I'm surprised. Thing is that at times this country is so slow at adopting what is seen as standard in other countries.

Advertisement