Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclesuperstore in Tallaght - what are prices like?

Options
  • 20-05-2008 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

Howdy,
    Probably been discussed a million times here but I'm looking at buying a city/road bike and spending 500 max. Gonna head up to the Cyclesuperstore (www.cyclesuperstore.ie) in Tallaght and have a tentative look around.

What's the usual consensus on prices up there? I'd prefer to go somewhere and get a look around, some advice and some reasonable after sales service etc rather than buying online unless there's serious serious savings involved.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Howdy,
    Probably been discussed a million times here but I'm looking at buying a city/road bike and spending 500 max. Gonna head up to the Cyclesuperstore (www.cyclesuperstore.ie) in Tallaght and have a tentative look around.

What's the usual consensus on prices up there? I'd prefer to go somewhere and get a look around, some advice and some reasonable after sales service etc rather than buying online unless there's serious serious savings involved.

thanks

Been in a couple of times, and it's struck me as being reasonable on all counts. They've a decent selection of bikes and stuff, and are amenable to chaning things out (if you want different tyres from stock for example).

I guess a lot of it is down to what sales person you get if you're not sure what your after... some can be a bit bad for trying to upsell you into something fancy (not always a bad thing :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

While you're in Tallaght check out Halfords - It's up beside B+Q, great selection of bikes and equipment upstairs in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭WicklowRacer

nhughes100 wrote: »
    While you're in Tallaght check out Halfords - It's up beside B+Q, great selection of bikes and equipment upstairs in it.

Yeah, Halfords is always good for a laugh alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I love the way a car accessory shop tries to sell bikes :D
    While you're in Tallaght, if you want to try another _bike_ shop, try the Cycle Inn
    2 Greenhills rd, Tallaght village

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

What is the best place to buy parts. Some little runt stole my saddle and i need a new one and dont want to pay over the odds. How much should a general saddle cost?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

hmmm..so over lunch I had a reasonable amount of success. Cyclesuperstore wasn't bad but the advice seemed a bit inattentive and rushed but can't complain too much.
    Also popped in to the Cycle Inn, where there's an extremely helpful saleman who I'd met before who'd practically bore with the detail he goes into about the pros/cons of the bikes - in a good way obv

Consensus seemed to be with a Giant, these models in particular

CRS 2.5 - www.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/bikes/lifestyle/347/31776/
    Escape R1 - www.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/bikes/lifestyle/347/31765/
    Escape M1 - www.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/bikes/lifestyle/347/31769/

they all seem to fit the bill fairly well, some have a slight edge (disc brakes, lighter etc)

any feelings on these models? I'll be using for 90% commuting.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Killme00 wrote: »
    What is the best place to buy parts. Some little runt stole my saddle and i need a new one and dont want to pay over the odds. How much should a general saddle cost?
    Can cost anything really depending on what you want.

Chainreaction have them from £7.99. Wiggle have 20% off all saddles at the moment but you would have to spend over £50 to get free delivery.

I have a hybrid saddle off a Dawes which you are welcome to gratis if you can pick up in Donnybrook.

I think the CRS looks good out of those ones, purely a personal opinion. They are all pretty similar but that one maybe looks a bit faster. Try them out and see which you prefer.

You don't need disc brakes on road but they will perform better in the wet; bottom line I guess I'd take them but wouldn't pay a big premium for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jman0

Like most other Cyclesuperstore customers Denalihighway, you'll most likely find yourself being shown a Lapierre bike.
    They really push those.
    Not that they are a crappy bike or anything, but i just don't like being pushed to ward a model of bike i wasn't particularly interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

What's the usual consensus on prices up there?
    They have free loyalty card that gives you ~8% off stuff. And you can see those discounted prices when you log into the website.

• Advertisement

jman0 wrote: »
    Like most other Cyclesuperstore customers Denalihighway, you'll most likely find yourself being shown a Lapierre bike.
    They really push those.
    Not that they are a crappy bike or anything, but i just don't like being pushed to ward a model of bike i wasn't particularly interested in.

I hear ya. Slightly unnerving, and funny cuz I remember thinking the exact thing at the time...

daymobrew wrote: »
    They have free loyalty card that gives you ~8% off stuff. And you can see those discounted prices when you log into the website.

interesting. They didnt mention that but in fairness they did say a 5% discount for cash.

I don't think it gives you 8% off bikes; it's a variable discount depending on what you are buying. Also generally no discount if the product is already discounted. As daymobrew says, the website will give the discounted prices if you log in with one of these cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

jman0 wrote: »
    They really push those.
    I went in in July 2005 planning to get a Trek road bike. I was steered to a LaPierre. I've been very happy with it, though I was a little concerned because CSS were the only one's selling the brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 goldfish

Same thing here - was shown a number of brands but ended up with a LaPierre. Good bike for what I was looking for (fast commuting to city centre)
    Got a 10% discount on bike and other stuff I was buying at the same time.
    Pretty good service, if a little rushed, due to the fact they were busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

blorg wrote: »
    Can cost anything really depending on what you want.

Chainreaction have them from £7.99. Wiggle have 20% off all saddles at the moment but you would have to spend over £50 to get free delivery.

I have a hybrid saddle off a Dawes which you are welcome to gratis if you can pick up in Donnybrook.

Thanks for the offer man, but i maanged to get it sorted in the little shop in fairview last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ritlaw

does anyone have experience of using a folding bike for commuting. I am thinking of geting one but dont want to spend a fortune. Any ideas on where i should go and what to look out for.

thanks
    rit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

ritlaw wrote: »
    does anyone have experience of using a folding bike for commuting. I am thinking of geting one but dont want to spend a fortune. Any ideas on where i should go and what to look out for.

thanks
    rit

You should start a new thread asking about folding bikes. I know nada about them so I can't help sorry. You could also try looking through www.bikeradar.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

I was in the cyclesuperstore and the Giant SCR bike they had was 539Euro, but wriggle in the UK sell it for 390Euro including delivery so Ive ordered the one from the UK.

Saved myself 160 Euro that I can spend on accessories.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

abakan wrote: »
    I was in the cyclesuperstore and the Giant SCR bike they had was 539Euro, but wriggle in the UK sell it for 390Euro including delivery so Ive ordered the one from the UK.

Saved myself 160 Euro that I can spend on accessories.

not a great saving, you can get 10% off in CSS if you ask nicely + you have a store to bring it back too if anything goes wrong!

plus the 1st service in CSS is always free!! (that has to be worth 50 bob at least)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

And I'm pretty sure the Wiggle one is the 07 model and the CSS one is the 08 model.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

In fairness , whats the difference really between the 07 and 08 models.
    I want a lightweight racer without breaking the bank, I think I got it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

abakan wrote: »
    In fairness , whats the difference really between the 07 and 08 models.
    I want a lightweight racer without breaking the bank, I think I got it.

There's no difference in this case (other than colour) but in some cases the difference between different years might mean better parts on later years models.

Advertisement